Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

An honest opinion on New Zealand for people thinking of moving here

An honest opinion on New Zealand for people thinking of moving here

Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:23 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An honest opinion on New Zealand for people thinking of moving here

Originally Posted by simonsi
Of course, in the midst of huge change it is only human to look for the familiar and grasp it, of course grasping it too tightly means the rest of the plan has to change/wait etc...

The world is full of half-executed plans, doesn't make them wrong or failures.
Fair comment.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:25 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I not in any way implying criticism of anyone that takes the same profession here, you do not have to do anything radically different to enjoy living here.

Just in the case I highlighted, the reality was a long way off from the expectation, Especially if you don't do anything to move toward that expectation.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 11:31 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Interesting points raised

I think what the OP has highlighted is some of the misconceptions or down right fantasy ideals that people think is going to happen when you emigrate.

A good example was a guy I used to work with in Auckland, he had been here over ten years and worked as a service engineer, looking after industrial machinery all round Auckland. Pretty much exactly the same thing he did when he was in the UK, except it was in Leeds. His life was pretty much the same and he complained....a lot.

Eventually I got round to asking him why he came to NZ,

"the wife and I wanted a new start in life"
"Ok, so is this what you imagined?" (We were in East Tamaki)
"No, we wanted to have a orchard on the South Island, around Nelson"
"Oh, sounds cool, why didn't you?"
"This job came up."
"Oh, did you ever go to Nelson?"
"Nah, been to Raglan though"

And there you have it. You do all the hard work of moving halfway round the world, just to do the same thing you did back at home.
Yeah, I can relate to that. As in if you keep doing what you are doing but expecting a different outcome then that way madness lies.

One of my comments re: emigrate/don't emigrate is that you don't have to leave the country to start a new career. Someone can emigrate in their own head i.e. change their thought processes to make a positive change in their lives.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 5th 2012 at 11:37 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:52 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Infern0
Hi forum, my name is Alex and I have lived in New Zealand since I was 17, in 2005.

Having been here for 7 years, I feel I have become so used to it, that I can give some insight into the positive and negative sides of New Zealand.

When we were first going to move out here, my parents fed me a fantastical story about a land of wonder and beauty. And while there is some truth to that, it doesn't paint the full picture.

The main advantage New Zealand has is the weather, which obviously is a lot better than that of the UK. This is especially true for people who like to do a lot of outdoor activities such as hiking, watersports etc, itself a great place for that. Be warned though, this is not Australia, not even close. Mid 20's is what you get for the most part.

The other main advantage is the laid back atmosphere. While this does tend to get exaggerated quite a bit, it is true that work tends to be less stressful, and you will have a more laid back lifestyle. Again though, for some people this might actually be a disadvantage, especially if you are an ambitious and productive person. An example of this would be a company that is satisfied easily, and doesn't take on board suggestions of how to improve productivity. Most frustrating.

One more advantage is the relative safety of the environment, to bring up children and things like that. However in my experience this is relative. If you moved from the lake district to South Auckland, obviously SA is more dangerous, dirty and horrible. So generally this is in relation to moving from inner city UK to small town NZ.

Ok and now for the negatives.

First and foremost is the isolation. You are not only a long way from your family, you are a long way from..... Everything. It's going to cost you a minimum of 2000 dollars to get off this island for a holiday, and even then I sure hope you like Australia, because that's where you will be going. If you are a person who likes to explore the different cultures that Europe and North Africa has to offer, you can forget anything like that, unless you want to spend an extortionate amount you are limited to Australasia. And it gets old, real fast. Culture in general is in short supply, world class musical acts and sports events don't come here very often, so I hope you like rugby and kiwi music a lot.

The second disadvantage applies only to small town New Zealand, Auckland is a little bit better. And that is making friends and meeting people. Kiwis have a reputation for being a friendly, open and welcoming people, and I'm not sure where this has come from. I have a good group of friends, but fitting in is hard. Most kiwis I have met in the last 7 years are happy to hang round with the people they went to school with, and aren't fussed about meeting new people, or doing anything other than drink at the weekends. It may seem a generalising statement, but it's what I have found. You need to be very persistent to make any friends. Auckland is different because it's more open minded, I made friends easy there.

So really that's all there is to it. It can be a great place, but it might not be the paradise you have in your mind.

I would advise NZ to married couples with very young children, I would advise younger people under the age of 40 to consider alternative options like Australia or the states, as you will get bored here.

If anyone has any questions, ask away
Hi Alex,
Your post is an interesting one in that it confirms my belief that sucess in NZ can depend on the life you had before you arrived and to certain extent your age. NZ can be a very mundane and boring place at times especially for 17 - 24 year olds - an age group that you have been in since your arrival.
For an old-ish fart like me (50 next year!!) that has been around the world more times than a satelitte, that has seen and been just about everywhere that he wanted to go and that has ticked just about every item on his bucket list......NZ was just the ticket.
As an old fart I wanted to settle in a place that I felt safe, a place that was easy on the eye, reasonably easy on the pocket and where I could grow older gracefully. Like you I have been here 7 years and it has not always been easy but generally I feel I made the right decision.
If I were in your shoes - a much younger person with a huge life wishlist and youthful ambitions, then I would have to explore as many options that this wonderful world has to offer.
Best of luck with your journey Alex
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

We left our son behind (he's 23). He came on holiday and found it dull and I can understand that.

Kayaking, cycling, dining out, peace and quiet, sun, sea, sand...it's our idea of heaven but not his. Understandable.

I would argue that it's easy to make friends here though - Wellington is full of 40-something empty nesters who like a vino.

We've been here nearly two years and had 23 people at our barbie...two of them were expats.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:02 pm
Banned

scotttom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I am glad to see both sides of the coin when it comes to living in NZ. I had previously seen the ENZ expat forum and thought that site to be a little ridiculous as all the comments were positive and rosey as if all the negative comments had been removed in order to beef up the NZ image. On the other habd there is another site which gives nothing but bad comments, both in my opinion are a waste of time if you are moving to NZ. You need to know that not everything is paradise but also if NZ is your thing then great.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:11 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotttom
Hi all, I am glad to see both sides of the coin when it comes to living in NZ. I had previously seen the ENZ expat forum and thought that site to be a little ridiculous as all the comments were positive and rosey as if all the negative comments had been removed in order to beef up the NZ image. On the other habd there is another site which gives nothing but bad comments, both in my opinion are a waste of time if you are moving to NZ. You need to know that not everything is paradise but also if NZ is your thing then great.
This is true. I have heard of sites that are moderated to within an inch of their lives. It's not so much to present just a positive side of the country as the sites themselves.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

1. http://www.enz.org is happy slappy. if you're not orgasmic about NZ it gets deleted.

2. Expatexposed,you have to wonder how these people occupy their days?! Ok if you're stuck,if not get the ***** out. Most are sad cases from what I can see.

3. http://www.expatforum.com/expats/new...g-new-zealand/
Not looked into it a lot,reasonable enough,fairly balanced

4. This one !! Full of unbalanced nutters (me included) which equates to a fairly balanced viewpoint almost always part of the time.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:21 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Droidling
1. http://www.enz.org is happy slappy. if you're not orgasmic about NZ it gets deleted.

2. Expatexposed,you have to wonder how these people occupy their days?! Ok if you're stuck,if not get the ***** out. Most are sad cases from what I can see.

3. http://www.expatforum.com/expats/new...g-new-zealand/
Not looked into it a lot,reasonable enough,fairly balanced

4. This one !! Full of unbalanced nutters (me included) which equates to a fairly balanced viewpoint almost always part of the time.
What happened to the Uk to NZ forum? I used to look on that (never joined it) before I came here!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by love30stm
What happened to the Uk to NZ forum? I used to look on that (never joined it) before I came here!
I've Ping Pommed 2wice,I'm looking at no.3 I can take a hint though (where is it ?)

Last edited by Droidling; Dec 18th 2012 at 1:51 am.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:10 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I've Ping Pommed 2wice,I'm looking at no.3 I can take a hint though (where is it ?)
No I mean what happened to it?? This is the link been like this for a while

http://www.*****.co.uk/

Well it don't appear to work?? This is what it says on the site as follows :-

WELCOME TO *****
The friendly and fun New Zealand immigration Forum and British Expats Chat site.

We aim to provide you with everything that you may need to know about emigrating, finding work and living in New Zealand.
Site Currently offline
Sorry, but ***** is currently offline.

The site was recently dropped without warning by our hosting company, but we will rebuild!

***** will be back up and running very soon, so please keep checking this space ).

- Mike

Last edited by love30stm; Dec 18th 2012 at 2:14 am.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

WELCOME TO *****
The friendly and fun New Zealand immigration Forum and British Expats Chat site.

We aim to provide you with everything that you may need to know about emigrating, finding work and living in New Zealand.
Site Currently offline

The site was recently dropped without warning by our hosting company, but we will rebuild!

***** will be back up and running very soon, so please keep checking this space ).

- Mike
FUBAR, don't hold your breath
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's the way we like it.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

WELCOME TO *****

Site Currently offline

- Mike
I thought that one turned into mov****?