Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Honest experiences of NZ life

Honest experiences of NZ life

Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest experiences of NZ life

Originally Posted by Kotare
Generalising like mad - I think you will find most Kiwis 'work to live 'rather than the reverse. Can be maddening when you want a plumber, but at least they are friendly with it
Funny enough those Kiwis are people of British descent, or sound more like Irish to me
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Steve

You will rapidly note that 'positive' statements are frowned upon by those who have left or are leaving
that would obviously be down to most of them having a crap time here, possibly
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
that would obviously be down to most of them having a crap time here, possibly
I don't like oysters but I don't crap on those who do.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like oysters but I don't crap on those who do.
To be fair, I never crapped on people. I was just commenting that you will find issues in every country and just because one place worked out for someone, doesn't mean the other person will have the same life.

You have people commenting that the UK is crap and New Zealand is great, so even UK lovers seem frowned upon.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
To be fair, I never crapped on people. I was just commenting that you will find issues in every country and just because one place worked out for someone, doesn't mean the other person will have the same life.

You have people commenting that the UK is crap and New Zealand is great, so even UK lovers seem frowned upon.
You actively contradicted every point they made so yeah you did crap on them.

Just like someone who has a bad experience in a shop is twice as likely to leave a bad review as someone who had a good experience - the same is true of an entire country.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
You actively contradicted every point they made so yeah you did crap on them.

Just like someone who has a bad experience in a shop is twice as likely to leave a bad review as someone who had a good experience - the same is true of an entire country.
Not really, I just pointed out that some people probably work less than 50 hours in the UK too and I never said that New Zealand is bad

But again it will depend how and where you lived before. No longer in the UK myself, but I doubt that everyone works 50+ hours and I'm sure some people do it in New Zealand. Weather again will depend where you come from and what you personally think is better. Parts of the UK would get more sun than Dunedin and plenty of places are not as wet as Wellington or Auckland. Of course it won't be as crowded outside the cities and one of the reasons why I'm in Ireland, but you can still find less crowded places in the UK too. I'm sure the person living in Armagh, won't agree that Auckland is less crowded
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you currently live in NZ? As you say you're not in the UK anymore..?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
Do you currently live in NZ? As you say you're not in the UK anymore..?
If you read my post, where I apparently contradicted every point, then you'd know.

I don't want to argue, but I just pointed out that the points made are not relevant for everyone and depends how you live now. I can always adapt and create my own lifestyle wherever I am, so if everything else is right I could happily live in New Zealand, UK etc. At the end of the day you have streets, houses & people.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It takes all sorts and you don't need to live here to have an opinion.

I think you'll find most people are actually worse off when it comes to office working hours. In the UK I was paid a salary to work 35 hours; here my employment contract says I must work a minimum of 40 hours and more if required. I had five weeks leave in UK and only get four weeks here.

I don't ever work 50+ hours a week but there's a heck of a lot of people who are in my office burning the midnight oil at both ends of the day - same people in the office long before I am of a morning and they're still there when I go home at night, or otherwise sending pointless emails at midnight or 6am to make it look like they are working hard.

In truth they're mostly a bunch of lazy buggers that couldn't organise the proverbial piss up in a brewery and I suspect they're trying to catch up on work after a hard day of reading the Herald, writing comments on Stuff munching porridge, morning tea and posting on Facebook and internet forums telling everyone about how they're living the dream, eh??
Old Jul 28th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

If you believe the OECD statistics than Kiwis work on average more hours than people in the UK - NZ is closer to the hours worked in the US than to most European countries. In fact if you want a good work-life-balance than Germany is the place to be

I personally had the impression that people in NZ are generally not overworked but money was often an major issue!!
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Assanah
If you believe the OECD statistics than Kiwis work on average more hours than people in the UK - NZ is closer to the hours worked in the US than to most European countries. In fact if you want a good work-life-balance than Germany is the place to be

I personally had the impression that people in NZ are generally not overworked but money was often an major issue!!

Ironically, when I was in Germany many people were complaining that you live to work and until last year there was no minimum wage, so it's all relative. You can have a good/bad job anywhere and one could argue that working hours are longer in New Zealand due to agriculture being the largest sector, while in Germany it only makes a small percentage.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Or in other words, translating the cynical post 3 above, Kiwis work long hours, but only because they are dumb and lazy and dishonest, whereas Im bright so can get away with less hours. Lol.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:03 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

they never said the colleagues were kiwis so less assumption is required.

OK enough of this bickering, the OP asked for honest opinions and everyone is going to have a different one so please do not put someone else experience down because it doesn't match your own or what you believe.

If it continues I will close the thread as OP probably has enough information.
and they can always search back on other threads if needs be.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, therein lies a difference in philosophy. To me a Kiwi is someone who resides here whether they be originally from overseas or not.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Well, therein lies a difference in philosophy. To me a Kiwi is someone who resides here whether they be originally from overseas or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.