Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Honest experiences of NZ life

Honest experiences of NZ life

Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest experiences of NZ life

Sorry just saw BB pointed out Aramoana.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Sorry should have been clearer, open border terrorism, apologies.
And what about all the British/Europeans who came to New Zealand and basically terrorized true New Zealanders?
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

And what about 'home grown' terrorists that sadly identify with ISIS for whatever reason. Plenty of young disenfranchised people all over the world.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Dunedin has a reputation with gun crime.

There was a woman shot to death earlier this year, then there was the 2 kids shot to death by their own father a couple of years back where the mother escaped. The David Bain family were all shot.

Plus there's been other murders, sex attacks, violent assault in the last year or two. A female was murdered near Mitre 10 not long back, the guy was strangled to death in an Octagon bar last year and a woman was sexually assaulted out walking and I've lost count of all the armed robberies happening around the city.

Last edited by barnsleymat; Jul 27th 2016 at 8:51 am.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent over 4 weeks in Europe (Switzerland, France, Spain and England ) & we never once felt unsafe. Of course we were aware that a terrorist or two could be lurking around but it never stopped us once from doing anything we wanted. We caught trains and buses, went sightseeing, shopping, eating out and so on. We had a great time and yes it would've been awful if anything had happened but at least we were living life. I was not happy to have to return home to NZ and back to existing again. I'd rather be 'living' than feel 'safe'.

Used to love gardening back in Blighty, not so much here. I remember being out late evening in early June just popping in the last few bedding plants. I find it's either too hot to be gardening or it's too wet. We do have fruit trees and a vegetable plot which we having varying degrees of success (to abject failure!) with and that's great but we did grow veg in England too. I also get bitten to death in the garden so that puts me off gardening here too. Infact we spend far less time in the garden than we used to .
Old Jul 27th 2016, 10:19 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you on getting bitten to death and it being too hot. My dad has an incredible garden in the UK and spends heaps of his week pottering in it. I used to get up at 6am to water and tend to mine in summer in the Waikato ...
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
New Zealand offers a wonderful opportunity to have a normal life free from 'lone wolves' with 'mental health issues'. The end.

Maybe it's safe inside your special bubble but I think NZ has more than it's fair share of random nut jobs and notorious killers. From the certain 'someone' yet to be determined that killed the entire Bain family, Antonie Dixon the RSA samurai sword fella, the loon that gunned down and killed members of staff in Ashburton WINZ office, to the more recent killers of Blessie Gotingko and Jo Pert who were randomly attacked and murdered close to their homes whilst out minding their own business. Sadly that's not the end and the list is actually pretty long.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 27th 2016 at 11:32 am.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:48 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Where does all this rubbish fit in with "Honest EXPERIENCES of NZ Life"
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Where does all this rubbish fit in with "Honest EXPERIENCES of NZ Life"
what rubbish you talking about?

the latest comments about lone wolves etc?

News coverage of crimes although maybe not in your own back yard, although some of them have been in mine, does effect your day to day lives. It makes people, well me, more cautious of going to certain area's. knowing where the gangs live also is a useful tool as it gives you reason to not live somewhere.

Of course this is not just a NZ problem but a problem for every country but it popped up as someone suggested that these sort of problems are not a problem here, where clearly they are and no one in all honestly would expect they don't.

If not these comments then I personally do not know what "rubbish" you are commenting on
Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:58 am
Just Joined

stevetaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

For me, the lifestyle is much better in NZ. In the UK, it was expected of me -- although I didn't do it -- that I worked 50+ hours a week. That's not my experience in NZ. The office environment is also much more relaxed, people are more helpful, and managers are more reasonable. In NZ, I have a lot more time to spend outside of the office.

The weather is much better in NZ; there's not even a comparison. Cities aren't as crowded. It's generally safer, too.

People in general are happier and friendlier. There isn't so much cynicism, moaning, or complaining.

Less bureaucracy, fewer issues with difficult companies/people.

On the downside, the salaries aren't as high, travel opportunities aren't nearly as good, things are expensive, there's virtually no public transport, and I get tired of hearing about America from the media all the time.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevetaylor
For me, the lifestyle is much better in NZ. In the UK, it was expected of me -- although I didn't do it -- that I worked 50+ hours a week. That's not my experience in NZ. The office environment is also much more relaxed, people are more helpful, and managers are more reasonable. In NZ, I have a lot more time to spend outside of the office.

The weather is much better in NZ; there's not even a comparison. Cities aren't as crowded. It's generally safer, too.

People in general are happier and friendlier. There isn't so much cynicism, moaning, or complaining.

Less bureaucracy, fewer issues with difficult companies/people.

On the downside, the salaries aren't as high, travel opportunities aren't nearly as good, things are expensive, there's virtually no public transport, and I get tired of hearing about America from the media all the time.

But again it will depend how and where you lived before. No longer in the UK myself, but I doubt that everyone works 50+ hours and I'm sure some people do it in New Zealand. Weather again will depend where you come from and what you personally think is better. Parts of the UK would get more sun than Dunedin and plenty of places are not as wet as Wellington or Auckland. Of course it won't be as crowded outside the cities and one of the reasons why I'm in Ireland, but you can still find less crowded places in the UK too. I'm sure the person living in Armagh, won't agree that Auckland is less crowded
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But again it will depend how and where you lived before. No longer in the UK myself, but I doubt that everyone works 50+ hours and I'm sure some people do it in New Zealand. Weather again will depend where you come from and what you personally think is better. Parts of the UK would get more sun than Dunedin and plenty of places are not as wet as Wellington or Auckland. Of course it won't be as crowded outside the cities and one of the reasons why I'm in Ireland, but you can still find less crowded places in the UK too. I'm sure the person living in Armagh, won't agree that Auckland is less crowded
Steve

You will rapidly note that 'positive' statements are frowned upon by those who have left or are leaving
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:23 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Steve

You will rapidly note that 'positive' statements are frowned upon by those who have left or are leaving
Or made by people who don't live here and never have...
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kotare
Steve

Why frowned upon? Think it's great if it works out, but every person has a different life. I'm sure that some people work more in New Zealand and others less, but it won't happen for all.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Generalising like mad - I think you will find most Kiwis 'work to live 'rather than the reverse. Can be maddening when you want a plumber, but at least they are friendly with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.