Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Honest experiences of NZ life

Honest experiences of NZ life

Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honest experiences of NZ life

Originally Posted by sparklyfrog
What is a good/decent wage in your opinion?
The national average full time wage in NZ is probably somewhere just below $50k depending who's stats you believe. We both earn a bit more than this but if I put that into this:

Interactive: See how your household income compares | Stuff.co.nz

then apparently we are richer than 75% of people in NZ and our lives are still dull.

I can't give you a figure but unless you're coming here with a good chunk of money and have well paid jobs lined up life here isn't very exciting, things you take for granted in the UK become unaffordable luxuries in NZ.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I have to agree with this one ... and most people don't earn great money

Been here 13 yrs now and we're looking to go back .. maybe to Ireland if Brexit hasn't buggered the idea.

Fair play and also in Ireland myself. I think New Zealand is a great place, but for people looking for a change in lifestyle not too far away, I'd always recommend Ireland. Of course on paper it doesn't look that exciting & sexy (especially for Brits), but it's a different world closer to family at a lower cost and no visa requirements so far:-).

You can now argue about weather, but compared to Dunedin it's not a huge difference and you can create your own lifestyle here. We often go to beaches that are empty, built a New Zealand style terrace and still have the benefits of low cost travel that you wouldn't have in New Zealand.

From what I've heard, it seems that New Zealand is a lot more expensive than a few years ago, but you still have the natural beauty and it's an adventure.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 22nd 2016 at 9:55 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

sparklyfrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
The national average full time wage in NZ is probably somewhere just below $50k depending who's stats you believe. We both earn a bit more than this but if I put that into this:

then apparently we are richer than 75% of people in NZ and our lives are still dull.

I can't give you a figure but unless you're coming here with a good chunk of money and have well paid jobs lined up life here isn't very exciting, things you take for granted in the UK become unaffordable luxuries in NZ.
That's an interesting link, thank you! When you say dull, do you mean you don't have the disposable income to do the fun stuff?
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

I have to agree with this one ... and most people don't earn great money

Been here 13 yrs now and we're looking to go back .. maybe to Ireland if Brexit hasn't buggered the idea.
Scotland is actually our second choice! In both mine and my husband's fields of work there seems to be more career opportunities with better career progression in NZ that anywhere in Britain! I think we're in a lucky position in that respect...
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

I agree 'dull' is a very apt description. Even if you do have some spare funds and feel like pushing the boat out on your birthday or other special occasion its really hard to find others that will join you, especially if there's a chance they have to pay actual money.

We've all but given up on the idea of calling up people for spontaneous or frivolous fun times; heaven forbid we could just decide to go out for lunch or to a pub, movies a show or something tomorrow night, as it's always such a friggin drama to organise money and transport and requires weeks of planning in advance; everyone wants the cheapest option which usually means yet another night in, or making your own food and taking drinks to be consumed at someone else's homes.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 22nd 2016 at 10:29 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Mr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really niceMr and Mrs H is just really nice

Hi.
We have been here nearly a year now love the beaches and the outdoors, our 3 kids are settled at schools. We live in Auckland and rent is quite a lot $650 a week so about £300 a week. We have had some lovely breaks away exploring the country and there is still so much more to see. It is tough though and even though we both wanted to come I am finding it harder than my husband and miss my friends in the uk very much. But we won't move back to the uk as New Zealand can offer our children so much more and I'm sure it will get better soon.
The weather here is much better than the uk too. Even though when it rains it really rains it soon brightens up and you don't get the grey day after day we used to have in England.
So to sum it up, it's hard but worth it.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs H
Hi.
We have been here nearly a year now love the beaches and the outdoors, our 3 kids are settled at schools. We live in Auckland and rent is quite a lot $650 a week so about £300 a week. We have had some lovely breaks away exploring the country and there is still so much more to see. It is tough though and even though we both wanted to come I am finding it harder than my husband and miss my friends in the uk very much. But we won't move back to the uk as New Zealand can offer our children so much more and I'm sure it will get better soon.
The weather here is much better than the uk too. Even though when it rains it really rains it soon brightens up and you don't get the grey day after day we used to have in England.
So to sum it up, it's hard but worth it.

We had the subject before, but weather in Auckland is not much better than parts of the UK and depends from where you came in the UK and what you think is better. Of course you might also think it's better if you like the place and previously had a bad summer in the UK, but if you compare Auckland vs. Portsmouth, sunshine hours are not much different and Portsmouth actually gets half the amount of rain Auckland would get and around 30 fewer days of rain. While I agree winter is sunnier in Auckland, you get better summers in Portsmouth (temps aside).
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
We have been here nearly a year now love the beaches and the outdoors, our 3 kids are settled at schools. We live in Auckland and rent is quite a lot $650 a week so about £300 a week. <snip>
Just to note that £300 per week, or £1,200 per month isn't a massive rent for anywhere in the South or South East and commutable to London.

It certainly isn't much if you live in London.

However if you are earning the average wage stated up thread of $50k before tax then ($600 * 52) $33,800 takes a huge chunk out of that.

UK average salary is £26,500 but figures reveal huge pay gap between rich and poor - official earnings list - Mirror Online

Makes interesting reading - looks like the "average" wage is much the same as NZ but again Auckland and Invercargill will have very different average wages.

Our daughter and her partner both work in Auckland and love it. They have no intention of ever coming back. However they are earning far more than they did in the UK and living in a nicer area with a better climate.

Everything depends on where you live now and where you expect to live.

Back in the '80s in Auckland we met a street sweeper who had moved from central Manchester. He just couldn't believe his luck. No grime, no traffic jams, fresh air, by the sea.......much better. However if you have moved from, for example, the South Coast it might not have been such a change.

Mr Micawber's famous, and oft-quoted, recipe for happiness: "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

You have to be able to afford all the lifestyle benefits that NZ can give you. Being poor in a lovely place may be better than being poor in a grotty place but moving from good, dry warm accommodation to a mouldy freezing pit without the money to fix it can ruin your whole day (week, month, half the year).
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the honest responses. This has actually made me more sure that a move to NZ would be great for us as a family! Looking at jobs with a better salary than here in UK (and above average for NZ), with better job prospects; more outdoors/adventure lifestyle.... One of us just needs to get that job offer first!!
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
.............................................. But we won't move back to the uk as New Zealand can offer our children so much more and I'm sure it will get better soon. .................................................. ...........
We thought that too ... our son finished his course at Wintec 18 months ago and has been unemployed ever since. He doesn't think NZ has anything for him ... even with its "rock star" economy.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:05 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

That's my worry kids having to leave the country just to get work. Know many parents left because kids have had to overseas to find jobs
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

We thought that too ... our son finished his course at Wintec 18 months ago and has been unemployed ever since. He doesn't think NZ has anything for him ... even with its "rock star" economy.
I would also question the statement that NZ has so much more to offer the children. I would appreciate it if someone could sum up what those benefits are please.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Sparklyfrog, just be aware that if a beachy lifestyle is an objective, then Wellington doesnt really meet that criteria compared to other places. Its a nice city but I dont think many would describe it as beachy. Maybe Auckland, Tauranga or Napier would better fit that bill.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I would also question the statement that NZ has so much more to offer the children. I would appreciate it if someone could sum up what those benefits are please.
This is also true my kids do far less organised activities as so much is seasonal or just to far away. The lure of the beach loses its appeal and no they don't want to climb another Hill just to see some more hill's and possibly the sea they no longer want to go to
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:28 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Across Memorial drive here in Chch we have 11 rugby pitches half a dozen soccer pitches all full and crawling with little people playing the mini game versions both sexes all enjoying healthy activities not involving smart phones. This end of Burnside park comes a virtual standstill with parents shepherding tots to play. The tennis courts are always well used throughout the year with youngster coaching full on.
The big lakes further along are stocked with trout and salmon that the youngsters only are allowed to fish for and down in the city Hagley park netball, hockey, soccer, rugby is in full swing.....perhaps Chch is different from the rest of NZ, I certainly know we seem to have better weather....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.