Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Homesick - 8 years

Homesick - 8 years

Old Nov 26th 2021, 12:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick - 8 years

Originally Posted by BEVS
Why?

------it remains also about my sense of identity & belonging. I did not realise that NZ was not a good fit for me until I had been here for a while.
Well, I don't know why. I suppose I read some of your positive posts on NZ and never saw any pining for the UK type posts so I assumed that you were a happy Kiwi camper. Having said that, I don't pay that much attention on here, so I might have missed the true Bevs outlook on things.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 6:23 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Shard, probably missed all the posts about the neighbours....
Old Nov 28th 2021, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't make any rash descions over covid.
If you were happy before covid and the restrictions. I would wait and see maybe how you feel after covid has passed and life is sort of back to normal as we know it. Maybe over thinking the situation due to covid.

I was in NZ Auckland for 3 years and moved back in May.Moved to different area in the UK and it's been nice since I have been back. Really enjoying the UK.
I say this so many times. Immigrating is different for everyone as everyone had different lives in back grounds before immigrating to NZ in the first place.
Most things I hear about why people move to NZ is easy do able in the UK. They just never looked.
If you live in Fort William or Inverness or Cornwall you will find it busy if you moved to Auckland. if you live in a major city in the UK and move to NZ everything will be quieter.
It's horses for courses with everything.

Same as when I hear my kids have more opportunities in NZ. yeah maybe if you have just landed from Somoa, Tonga or Nui. Kids have 10x more opportunities in the UK than NZ now.
the only thing I can see different is if you like sitting on a beach. nothing else except sand and picnic. if thats your thing the beach then yeah your kids will miss out. Even countryside, there is 10000s more todo in the UK than NZ and 100x more accessible.

Last edited by jarv5116; Nov 28th 2021 at 9:19 am.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 11:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shard
Well, I don't know why. I suppose I read some of your positive posts on NZ and never saw any pining for the UK type posts so I assumed that you were a happy Kiwi camper. Having said that, I don't pay that much attention on here, so I might have missed the true Bevs outlook on things.
I've posted about how it is for me on several of the BE forums over the years. The plan of all plans was to have returned to the UK for good April 2021. That was not possible for several reasons which I sha'n't elaborate on & likely the window for any move away from NZ is probably shut.

I do not dislike it here at all. It is OK enough.

The balance for the OP will be lifestyle v love. That is a tough one .

Perhaps the OP, NZ_UKExpat, should maybe have a very candid chat with her parents and others that she loves who are far away. A sanction from them that they feel she is in a better place might help.

As for international flights. It has to be said that this is in a state of ongoing flux at the moment so better just to calm the farm and not plan for that. We have neighbours with kids, age 12 & 7 ,who are hoping to get back to the UK 2022 to visit with ageing parents - maybe for the last time with one parent sadly. If the current status quo continues, such as it precariously is, they are in with a shot but nothing is certain right now with that so better not to count on such things.

NZ is far far away and it is two long hauls . It isn't cheap by any stretch and not for the faint hearted really. I will hope for the OP that she will be able to make a visit sometime in the next few years.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116

Most things I hear about why people move to NZ is easy do able in the UK. They just never looked
If you live in Fort William or Inverness or Cornwall you will find it busy if you moved to Auckland. if you live in a major city in the UK and move to NZ everything will be quieter.
It's horses for courses with everything.

Same as when I hear my kids have more opportunities in NZ. yeah maybe if you have just landed from Somoa, Tonga or Nui. Kids have 10x more opportunities in the UK than NZ now.

the only thing I can see different is if you like sitting on a beach. if thats your thing the beach then yeah your kids will miss out.

Even countryside, there is 10000s more todo in the UK than NZ and 100x more accessible.
Yes to every one of those.

Another reason many move is running away from a problem. Thinking moving halfway around the world will somehow fix everything.
The number of expats I've met who have divorced in NZ suggests it doesn't work.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 28th 2021 at 11:44 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2021, 11:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
Another reason many move is running away from a problem. Thinking moving halfway around the world will somehow fix everything. The number of expats I've met who have divorced in NZ suggests that isn't the case.
​​​​​​
Yes. That might well be so for some. Fresh starts and all that.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Yes to every one of those.

Another reason many move is running away from a problem. Thinking moving halfway around the world will somehow fix everything.
The number of expats I've met who have divorced in NZ suggests it doesn't work.
​​​​​​
Agree as while I in Australia it was the same there a couple of my close friends had “problems “ in the uk and thought Australia would be a “fresh start” sadly it was not the case and in one of those couples it only highlighted their problems more.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Fresh starts and all that.
Has anyone watched 'Lie with me' on TVNZ on Demand?
Old Nov 30th 2021, 1:38 am
`

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

No. Now I'll have to watch it on the basis of a
Old Dec 14th 2021, 12:08 am
`

Originally Posted by Shard

The true BEVS outlook , as you oddly put it , is well documented throughout BE. It isn't hidden at all. I probably write less about the illfit to or in the NZ forum than I have to other areas over the years.

It isn't about pining anyway. You do seem to have some rather odd notions & assumptions on some issues. That someone feels a country is not a good fit for them does not mean they are pining or that they think said country is to blame in any way. It may mean they feel homesickness though but that does not necessarily translate to a yearning for what has been before.

It may well have been that an area of Oz may have been a better fit for me. Who knows.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its worth it
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:00 am
`

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its worth it
Tonight