British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Homesick! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/homesick-439203/)

AnnieNell Apr 1st 2007 10:32 pm

Homesick!

Hi All,
Still using library for internet access:frown: & 10+ weeks in. The homesickness thing is really starting to kick in. I knew it would a some stage but I hate this feeling. I'm not working at the mo,which doesn't help. So I get very lonely & down at times. It doesn't help that we haven't got kids (not through choice:mad: ), as I think it's easier to meet people when you have. I know it's just a phase & it'll get better but v. hard whilst living it. I have volunteered to work at the library & waiting to hear.

Did get a laugh on the way here though, someone has altered the Big Manly Beach sign to Big Womanly Beach:lol: .

Hate to post such a "downer" as I try to be positive, but thought some shared experiences might help me through
love Annie

Batty Apr 1st 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Homesick!

Originally Posted by AnnieNell (Post 4590292)
Hi All,
Still using library for internet access:frown: & 10+ weeks in. The homesickness thing is really starting to kick in. I knew it would a some stage but I hate this feeling. I'm not working at the mo,which doesn't help. So I get very lonely & down at times. It doesn't help that we haven't got kids (not through choice:mad: ), as I think it's easier to meet people when you have. I know it's just a phase & it'll get better but v. hard whilst living it. I have volunteered to work at the library & waiting to hear.

Did get a laugh on the way here though, someone has altered the Big Manly Beach sign to Big Womanly Beach:lol: .

Hate to post such a "downer" as I try to be positive, but thought some shared experiences might help me through
love Annie

Aw, virtual hugs to you Annie. I was here nearly 18 months when it hit me and it's horrible I know. It's like getting the 'flu I think - your immune system is low so you catch the virus. You're a bit lonely anyway so the homesickness has somewhere to live. Only being busy and having fun will alleviate it, I believe. You're not too far away from Auckland, you're more than welcome to meet up with a couple of us from here who go for a drink together on the Shore - I'm sure they won't mind my saying that :) -

There will be loads of people on here who will be able to relate to how you're feeling and offer more avenues of help.

Mandie Apr 1st 2007 11:53 pm

Hi All,

love Annie

Oh Annie, really sorry to hear you're feeling low and homesick. Although i can't give you any words of wisdom or really be of much help as i've not gone through the move yet...but wanted to let you know you're in my thoughts and i hope the feeling soon passes.

Will you be looking for any midwifery vacancies out there? I'm sure getting busy may help, but can imagine it's hard when you're feeling down!

Lots of :wub: and hugs karma coming your way
take care

pixi-dust Apr 1st 2007 11:55 pm

Annie - again - :cake: the solver of all problems!
Sorry to hear you're feeling down in the dumps. I suppose we all get it to some extent. Mine comes rarely but when it does it's like getting hit by a truck ( mines always cos I miss my brother) and it does pass quickly.

Annie, we were the same - no kids and Mr PD started work really soon after we arrived and I was in the middle of nowhere! I just painted the house! that kept me busy.

And you will make friends, I'm sure. How about a dog?? You meet loads pf people when you're out walking and they're really good for cuddles :D ( I'm sort of joking but they are lovely)

karonious Apr 2nd 2007 12:07 am

Hi All,

love Annie

Sorry to hear you are feeling sad Annie. Would joining a gym be helpful? - once the endorphins start coursing through your body, it acts like a tonic (apparently) and you have the bonus of feeling better about yourself. Is there anyone in your area you could arrange a meet-up with? I'm afraid my geography is so lousy, I don't know where Gulf harbour is? :blink:
Other than that, I have no advice to offer as not got to that point yet. Hope you start to feel better soon.....it must be a real downer making this huge move and then feeling low. Karma for your homesickness.

P18PPS Apr 2nd 2007 12:20 am

Thinking of you - I'm on a real downer today myself and feel very tearey eyed reading your post. Had a phone call from UK last night saying my Granny is about to pop her clogs, so any emotional situation is starting me off today!

Keep busy, try to plan your days into doing stuff - walk if they weather is good, and sounds stupid but I bake and preserve when the weather is rubbish, but try to stay away from the TV!!

I also joined in with short courses at the local college - they run short ones during the day and at night for next to nothing and this is another way of broadening your network of people. It is harder though when you don't have young children so you have to keep being inventive on how to meet new people. Auckland also issued a magazine last week on "20 things to put back into the community" - they had loads of suggestions/organisations that eg bieng a buddy for a pensioner, volunteering at local hopsitals/resthomes, childrens charities etc etc - keep an eye out because you may find some other avenues of meeting people this way.

good luck, thinking of you.
Sam

Silly Sod Apr 2nd 2007 12:45 am

Hi All,

love Annie

Hi Annie,

Sorry to hear you are so down. Things will pick up when you get online at home I am sure. BE is a great crutch for most of us when we are blue. I find getting absolutely bladdered now and again helps, when you have a hangover like the one I had yesterday you will be far too busy suffering to worry about homesickness :)

Anyway, good luck and I am sure we are all thinking of you. Sending hugs from the USA.

dazal Apr 2nd 2007 12:54 am

Hi All,

love Annie

Sorry to hear about your homesickness. I totally understand how you feel as felt the same way when I first arrived too and practically in the same position as you too - no job, no kids. Hang in there, it will get better.

Have sent you a PM.

Jude J Apr 2nd 2007 12:55 am

Hi Annie and P18PPS, so sorry to hear you are both feeling a bit low. To me, this is the only downside to living here.

Annie, this will pass I promise. It got to me after about 3 months and I wanted to go home so much. But as soon as I started to meet people my mood picked up and I really began enjoying the life and country. I didn't meet anyone through having kids as they were not at the age where I took them to school or had to meet other parents but I did have them there to make a noise in the house and keep me busy.
As the lovely Batty has said, come and have a drink with us Auckland lot, glass of wine and a chat will cheer you up...honest! :)

Littletoe Apr 2nd 2007 3:20 am

Hello lady!

Sorry to hear you're feeling homesick, I have experienced it in the past when in other countries, but the thought of going home still makes me feel sick at the moment!

I agree that having kids does open up windows, I didn't realise it at first, but you can get stuck with people that talk about their kids all day everyday and not a lot else! I've had to cancel plans to meet recently because of the old rib situation (you're welcome to come and look after me if you like, I can pay you in wine!). But when we've moved to Kumeu, I intend to invite some of the girls over for a BBQ. Prior to that I would love to meet, when I can drag my sorry arse behind the wheel of a car again! I'll PM you my number, so you always have someone to chat to, and as I said, hopefully meet with! Your'll never run of things to talk with me about, OK, I mean, your'll never run out of things to listen about with me!!

Take care

Me xx

kwprwn Apr 2nd 2007 5:05 am

Hi Annie

Just a thing to make you feel a wee bit better, my parents are currently visiting me and I was so looking forward to seeing them (having not seen them for a year) and heres a few things that my mum is doing that drives me crazy

1) she has rearranged all the tins in the cupboiard so that she can find what she wants...but now I cant find anything:frown:
2) everytime i go to the kitchen and she is in there, she stands in front of me as if to say 'GET OUT '...I am not even allowed in my own kitchen.arrghhh
3) everytime I say something to owen (my hubby) she asks me what I said and she doesnt even know then what we are talking about, as I am sure most people here have private jokes with their hubby/partners that no one else will understand so i have to explain the whole saga

oh yes I love my parents and missed them lots but living with them for a few days certainly reminds you why you moved out all those years ago:rofl:

oh the plus side to having them here is I havent done any ironing for ages as she has done that for me...mother gladly loaned out for ironing chores if required, shes here till easter saturday, also she clears up the moment you finish your breakfast/lunch or dinner

you will be fine. it does pass and the fact that when your other half is working sometimes it doesnt half get you down, i remember sitting in the library crying in front of the PC as i felt so depressed

take care and always glad to help if you need to yell, scream or cry

OK AUCKLAND LADIES>>>I THINK WE NEED TO ARRANGE A GET TOGETHER PRETTY DAMN SOON>>>I FOR ONE WOULD LIKE TO MEET SOME OF THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE NAMES

Littletoe Apr 2nd 2007 5:11 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4590979)
Hi Annie

Just a thing to make you feel a wee bit better, my parents are currently visiting me and I was so looking forward to seeing them (having not seen them for a year) and heres a few things that my mum is doing that drives me crazy

1) she has rearranged all the tins in the cupboiard so that she can find what she wants...but now I cant find anything:frown:
2) everytime i go to the kitchen and she is in there, she stands in front of me as if to say 'GET OUT '...I am not even allowed in my own kitchen.arrghhh
3) everytime I say something to owen (my hubby) she asks me what I said and she doesnt even know then what we are talking about, as I am sure most people here have private jokes with their hubby/partners that no one else will understand so i have to explain the whole saga

oh yes I love my parents and missed them lots but living with them for a few days certainly reminds you why you moved out all those years ago:rofl:

oh the plus side to having them here is I havent done any ironing for ages as she has done that for me...mother gladly loaned out for ironing chores if required, shes here till easter saturday, also she clears up the moment you finish your breakfast/lunch or dinner

you will be fine. it does pass and the fact that when your other half is working sometimes it doesnt half get you down, i remember sitting in the library crying in front of the PC as i felt so depressed

OK AUCKLAND LADIES>>>I THINK WE NEED TO ARRANGE A GET TOGETHER PRETTY DAMN SOON>>>I FOR ONE WOULD LIKE TO MEET SOME OF THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE NAMES

Yes, I think so. I'm happy to arrange BBQ and drinks at my new home in Kumeu, I'm thinking it won't be until end of April/start of May though.

dazal Apr 2nd 2007 5:44 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4590979)
Hi Annie

Just had my dad over for a visit and can certainly relate to the above. He wasnt too bad and think he drove my OH more mad than me but:

1. He embarrassed us so much at a really nice restaurant that were too frightened to go back until the coast is clear and they wont remember us!
2. He did not lift a finger, not even to put a plate in the dishwasher!
3. And he almost tried to climb into bed with us on his first night (albeit accidentally but gave my OH a heck of a shock!) :rofl:

Hope were all helping to make you feel a bit better Annie.

I agree I think an Auckland girly get together sounds great.

jueinnz Apr 2nd 2007 6:06 am

Annie,
Sorry you are down...

We all go though the home sickness thing, but whats good is that you realise you have it, I know it seems crazy but thats the first step to overcoming it!!!
I agree with "the get a dog" suggestion, the no. of people that stop and talk to you on the beach just cause you have a cute puppy in tow is amazing!!!
I have a karma thing going on in a sence that it seems everyone I get close to in NZ then seems to move away, (to south island/wellington/even back to UK!) and I think it is Karma getting me back for leaving everyone in the UK!!!
Try not to get too attatched to the net, cyber life isn't real!!!
It will get better when you work and start meeting people...PROMISE
but feel free to take it out on us in the mean time!!!

Best Wishes
Jue

Auckland meet sounds like a good idea to me:D

Rustie Apr 2nd 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 4590372)
Aw, virtual hugs to you Annie. I was here nearly 18 months when it hit me and it's horrible I know. It's like getting the 'flu I think - your immune system is low so you catch the virus. You're a bit lonely anyway so the homesickness has somewhere to live. Only being busy and having fun will alleviate it, I believe. You're not too far away from Auckland, you're more than welcome to meet up with a couple of us from here who go for a drink together on the Shore - I'm sure they won't mind my saying that :) -

There will be loads of people on here who will be able to relate to how you're feeling and offer more avenues of help.

Oh no! Does that mean we have to go out for a drink again?!! ;) Cool, its been too long! :rofl:

You are doing all the right things by getting out and about and give me a shout if anything I can do, ok? Everyone gets it, but there are lovely folks on here that will help all they can.

Hugs, Rustie xx