Home: NZ or UK?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:08 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home: NZ or UK?

I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone is in the same position as me. I was born in NZ raised there and went to the UK to do my OE when I was about 23. I married a Brit (been divorced for some time now - no kids), and am now living in the UK aged 46. I recently had a trip 'back home' and am feeling unsettled about what I should do. Stay here or go 'home'. I have a comfortable life in the UK, good job, own home etc. Have I got rosy spectacles on when it comes to NZ? I have family in both countries. I would be worried about getting an equivalent job, and with the current economic climates in both countries it is not time to voluntarily leave a well paid job.

I have to say, the news on the front pages could have been the same, so apart from the sunshine, what has NZ to offer?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home: NZ or UK?

Originally Posted by jmh View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone is in the same position as me. I was born in NZ raised there and went to the UK to do my OE when I was about 23. I married a Brit (been divorced for some time now - no kids), and am now living in the UK aged 46. I recently had a trip 'back home' and am feeling unsettled about what I should do. Stay here or go 'home'. I have a comfortable life in the UK, good job, own home etc. Have I got rosy spectacles on when it comes to NZ? I have family in both countries. I would be worried about getting an equivalent job, and with the current economic climates in both countries it is not time to voluntarily leave a well paid job.

I have to say, the news on the front pages could have been the same, so apart from the sunshine, what has NZ to offer?
Hi and welcome.

Not in the same position as you, but I married a Kiwi. He was born here and left for the UK when he was about 7 years old. The only time he'd been back to NZ after that was aged 18 for a couple of weeks.

We came on holiday 3 years ago with a view to moving here and have been living here nearly 2 years. So to him it is pretty much the same as emigrating to me. New area, new country. He has one uncle left here but we've not seen him much if at all. He misses his sister in the UK quite badly, but certainly feels it was the right move to make for us and our kids.

What is your job and have you investigated whether it is in demand here? That would be a good starting point.

As to what does NZ have to offer - well different strokes for different folks. For us, in no particular order; a change, better weather, living by the beach, greater freedom for our kids, less keeping up with the Joneses, more bang for our buck, more relaxing/lifestyle etc, etc!

Only you can decide! Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:55 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for replying Am. It doesn't look like my job exists there so I would probably take a significant drop in pay. I don't have to make a decision now so I will look and learn. They don't seem to mention salaries in job adverts which make it a bit difficult to compare to the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for replying Am. It doesn't look like my job exists there so I would probably take a significant drop in pay. I don't have to make a decision now so I will look and learn. They don't seem to mention salaries in job adverts which make it a bit difficult to compare to the UK.
Unless you REALLY want to return 'home' I would stay where you are. i don't think emigration is a good idea unless you have true rational to do what is a very hard thing. I was pissed off with everything that was my UK life..job, area, traffic, crowds etc etc. Wanted a new start for me Kate and the kids..so far its been dreamy..well over the honey moon perid having been here almost 4 years. Came to NZ and cured all my exterior problems..I have ALL the same internal ones and did not come to NZ to 'get happy'. Came here for a change in circumstances, environment and all the other things that formulate what is a very rosy life (outwardly) in NZ. I am very, very content here. You sound kind of content there..stay there!! Good luck whatever you do.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:02 am
Just Joined

coast to coast is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jmh,
I read your post, thought I should reply and registered so I could reply- my first post!
My boyfriend and I planned to come to NZ for a few years, now been here for a year and a half. We will probably try to stay and apply for citizenship which takes 5 years but we don't plan to stay permanently.
I can't whole heartedly encourage anyone to emigrate to NZ. I certainly would suggest you keep ownership of your home - houses here are of an abysmal quality and seem highly overpriced - I think some wrecks get palmed off onto unknowing immigrants.
The best thing is having more sunshine temperatures are warmer but it also gets cold, wet and very windy weather here at any time of the year. I miss the character and culture of Britain, we also had a comfortable and enjoyable lifestyle when we left.I think it's a good experience as something to try but don't cut your links with the U.K.
Definitely do alot of research and look into job opp's, kiwis are really cagey when it comes to money and never advertise wages, I imagine people are on varying wage levels and benefits but I still don't know as no one will tell you. AND i recommend you don't buy a house unless it's dirt cheap and you've got a stash of cash.
I'd better not carry on in case of putting you off entirely. It's a great thing to try out even for a few years the time flies when it's all new.
I'd gladly try and answer any other more specific questions you may have. (I think I can receive emails directly)
Good Luck on your mulling and do some more research.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:57 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Hi
We have (sorry had) a regular at our pub. He was a Kiwi, spent over 20 years in the UK and returned to NZ just over a year ago. He hated it in NZ and has now returned to the UK.

He just hates the NZ way of life. He loves it that he is so close to so many other countries, he loves the british humour, he just loves everything about the UK.

NZ is not for everyone, neither is the UK.

It makes no difference what your job is or was you will still take a pay cut and probably work under someone who knows less than you have forgotten.

Pauline
Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:01 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Wow, thank you so much for your posts. I am honoured Coast to Coast that you made this your first post.

I suspect Howden that I would be like your pub friend and would not take to NZ life now. I enjoy travelling to Europe each year, and like the buzz of living in the UK. Each to his/her own eh? I find it sad that so many Brits bash their own country. I stayed away from here for a while because I got sick of it. As you say Howden there are problems in both countries.

I have just got a new job that I am excited about and am doing some diy on my house so I guess I am staying a while. My brother lives here too and we talked about it, and he feels happy living here as well.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I recently had a trip 'back home' and am feeling unsettled about what I should do. Stay here or go 'home'
I have just got a new job that I am excited about and am doing some diy on my house so I guess I am staying a while
Looks like you worked it on out then.
Good luck .