Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Home/Health Insurance - any recommendations?

Home/Health Insurance - any recommendations?

Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:09 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice
Default Home/Health Insurance - any recommendations?

Hi, newly arrived to NZ and trying to sort out insurances and wondered if anyone can help. I have been recommended Southern Cross for Health Insurance and basic hospital cover for husband and I is coming in at $80/month. I've always done this through work in the UK and will not be working until the new year here and wanted to get this sorted in case we break a leg on the slopes!!!!!

Also re home insurance, can anyone recommend anyone as we've got basic stuff with us down here and all the rest is in storage in the North Island and I'd like to get this covered asap.

Many thanks
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home/Health Insurance - any recommendations?

Originally Posted by chelsey
Hi, newly arrived to NZ and trying to sort out insurances and wondered if anyone can help. I have been recommended Southern Cross for Health Insurance and basic hospital cover for husband and I is coming in at $80/month. I've always done this through work in the UK and will not be working until the new year here and wanted to get this sorted in case we break a leg on the slopes!!!!!

Also re home insurance, can anyone recommend anyone as we've got basic stuff with us down here and all the rest is in storage in the North Island and I'd like to get this covered asap.

Many thanks
Hi Chelsey
we have contents insurance with NZI, who have an anywhere in NZ policy rather than just at a certain address, bit more expensive though.
Haven't got medical ins sorted yet
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:02 am
Just Joined

chelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nicechelsey is just really nice

Thanks Poppets, will look into this.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chelsey

Many thanks
we used AMI for home/car insurance
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

We used State Insurance for car, house & contents. They were the cheapest we were quoted.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
we used AMI for home/car insurance
Ditto, we have both cars and house and contents insured with AMI.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:22 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SarahB
Ditto, we have both cars and house and contents insured with AMI.

same here. shopped around and asked a broker. AMI were cheapest for us - house and contents and 2 cars
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:29 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mumomonty
same here. shopped around and asked a broker. AMI were cheapest for us - house and contents and 2 cars
It seems the best deals are to be had when combining all three insurance items; house, contents and car.
IMHO AMI were the most economical, followed by State, the AA and NZI.
NZI were astronomical - but did offer the most comprehensive cover.
Conclusion: you get what you pay for.