Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Home Contents Insurance - why is Oz so expensive?

Home Contents Insurance - why is Oz so expensive?

Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:17 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Home Contents Insurance - why is Oz so expensive?

I had Home Contents Insurance, while living in Sydney, with NRMA.

I had full no claims discount, and on $AU 64K cover, (with special insurance on our wedding rings), the annual premium was over $AU 1000.

The same insurance, topped up to include the new stuff we bought when we got to Wellington, less the stuff we sold before leaving Oz, comes to $NZ 72K, and with State Insurance here, still having the special insurance on our rings, the premium is less than $NZ 400!!!

So, Oz was $AU 1000 ($NZ 1100), and NZ is $AU 360 ($NZ 400), for the same product. Call it just over one third of the cost!

What do you reckon? Is it the difference in premium caused by a similar difference in crime rates between Sydney and Wellington?

NRMA had the most reasonable quote we could find in Sydney.

Is Oz Insurance just a rip-off?

Thoughts anyone?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Contents Insurance - why is Oz so expensive?

Originally Posted by downunderpom

I had full no claims discount, and on $AU 64K cover, (with special insurance on our wedding rings), the annual premium was over $AU 1000.

The same insurance, topped up to include the new stuff we bought when we got to Wellington, less the stuff we sold before leaving Oz, comes to $NZ 72K, and with State Insurance here, still having the special insurance on our rings, the premium is less than $NZ 400!!!

So, Oz was $AU 1000 ($NZ 1100), and NZ is $AU 360 ($NZ 400), for the same product. Call it just over one third of the cost!

What do you reckon? Is it the difference in premium caused by a similar difference in crime rates between Sydney and Wellington?

Thoughts anyone?
Aus has got pretty high burglary rates, and they 'rate' premiums according to areas, sounds like you need to check the area, it might just be high burglary wise.

Ask if installing a security system, metal grills to windows, deadlocks will bring the premium down, it usually does.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 7:55 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Aus has got pretty high burglary rates, and they 'rate' premiums according to areas, sounds like you need to check the area, it might just be high burglary wise.

Ask if installing a security system, metal grills to windows, deadlocks will bring the premium down, it usually does.
I wasn't so much interested in bringing down the (Oz) premium, as wanting to make the point that these are quotes for similar areas, each as close to a capital city, with similar house / security setups, yet Sydney is near three times the cost of Wellington for insurance.

You can also accept a higher excess. That will bring down the price, too. But it's still beside the point. My excess here is $150 (NZ). It was higher in Sydney.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:57 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't so much interested in bringing down the (Oz) premium, as wanting to make the point that these are quotes for similar areas, each as close to a capital city, with similar house / security setups, yet Sydney is near three times the cost of Wellington for insurance.

You can also accept a higher excess. That will bring down the price, too. But it's still beside the point. My excess here is $150 (NZ). It was higher in Sydney.
Any idea then on what I am likely to pay in Melbourne
We have gold/Jewery valued at A$70K before we even start looking at the housecontents. In the UK we had a valuation for £180K with a annual premium of £400.

Wondering whether it would be better to sell all possessions and live in a hotel!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:02 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts anyone?
I think oz insurance industry is deregulated and it isn't maybe in nz. So basically, in oz the insurance guys get together with their figures and sort the premiums so none of their members is at risk of a loss. WHen it's regulated the govt says how much they can charge.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Home Contents Insurance - why is Oz so expensive?

What do you expect insurance premiums to be like in a country populated by convicts?