British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Holidays Good or Bad? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/holidays-good-bad-404314/)

Carlos58 Oct 25th 2006 10:42 pm

Holidays Good or Bad?

Question for the Britishexpats settled.

What are the summers really like out there, are they like back in the UK, two or three days of sun, fallowed by days of rain, and do you miss the cheap holidays to Spain, where you can jump on a plane and be sunning you self drinking Sangria, and San Miguel, within two hours.

PS
What about Winter?

CLC

SarahB Oct 26th 2006 1:13 am

Re: Holidays Good or Bad?

Just been discussing the weather with another expat friend this morning. We are amazed how different this year is to last year. By this time last year we had some really warm days.... yes, it rained a lot too but it was cloudy to dump rain then the wind blew the clouds away and it was beautiful. This year the winter seems endless... its not cold now but the sun is in very short supply. For weeks now its been about 16 degrees.... cloudy.... very wet at times and the weekends have been pants and its peed it down. I dont think this winter is a usual one according to the locals.... they say its pretty rare for the winter to be so cold and long... that it only happens every few years... lets hope so! We had a beautiful warm few days last month but nothing like it since.

The summer last year was still better than any Ive had in the UK though. You still cant guarantee that a planned party or BBQ in the garden will go ahead outside but its a hell of a lot milder than UK. You get months and months of generally warm weather here.... some of it like mediterranean weather... not just a few days like you mentioned. The thing I like is the warm northerly winds... it feels strange when you are used to cold winds like in the UK.

So its hard to say as Ive not been here long enough.... but hopefully our summer will start soon.

Not really missed the cheap holidays yet. We arnt in a position to take holidays at the moment.... and Ive only been in Auckland and Rotorua so plenty for me to see here yet. :)

Budowsky Oct 26th 2006 2:00 am

heres the stats :

Bournemouth
http://uk.weather.com/weather/climatology/UKXX0021

Wellington
http://uk.weather.com/weather/climat...X0049?x=11&y=8

As you can see they are sort of similar. If good consistent warm weather is high on your list of reasons to move, think about OZ instead.

I have never really taken advantage of Spain before, but I fully intend to when I get back to the UK!

Looking ahead if I was to move back I would head for Melbourne - it seems to have it all, better weather, good culture, jobs, beaches, etc. I've heard so many good things about it from so many different people there must be some truth in it.

From experience I have noticed kiwi's tend to exagerate how good their summers are and ignore how bad their winters are...You get it every year "should be a great summer this year" :rolleyes:

Apple12 Oct 26th 2006 2:20 am

First off, holidays in spain with all the other Brits is not my kind of thing.
Holidays we have had here in the last year:
Central Otago - wineries, walks, mountain biking.
Hanmer Springs - thermal pools, walking, relaxing.
Wellington - city stuff, cafes, museums, shopping.,
Nelson Lakes - walking, proper NZ bush
Abel Tasman - sea kayaking, walking, camping.
Hokitika/Punakaiki - scenery, birds, native bush, walking, wild beaches.
Mt Cook - long weekend, camping, walking, scenery.

on the list - New Years - Stewart Island (kiwi spotting). A week in Nelson late Jan. Support crewing for a 3 day adventure race in Central Otago in late March.

As you can see we are not missing out, and loving all the outdoors things on our door step. None of these holidays have cost much, and we have loved every minute of it :)

Budowsky Oct 26th 2006 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Apple12
First off, holidays in spain with all the other Brits is not my kind of thing.
Holidays we have had here in the last year:
Central Otago - wineries, walks, mountain biking.
Hanmer Springs - thermal pools, walking, relaxing.
Wellington - city stuff, cafes, museums, shopping.,
Nelson Lakes - walking, proper NZ bush
Abel Tasman - sea kayaking, walking, camping.
Hokitika/Punakaiki - scenery, birds, native bush, walking, wild beaches.
Mt Cook - long weekend, camping, walking, scenery.

on the list - New Years - Stewart Island (kiwi spotting). A week in Nelson late Jan. Support crewing for a 3 day adventure race in Central Otago in late March.

As you can see we are not missing out, and loving all the outdoors things on our door step. None of these holidays have cost much, and we have loved every minute of it :)

I doubt you would get many yobs on a wine tour in Spain?

No offense but your holidays seem to consist of a lot of walking :)

Apple12 Oct 26th 2006 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Budowsky
I doubt you would get many yobs on a wine tour in Spain?

No offense but your holidays seem to consist of a lot of walking :)

I had noticed a bit of a theme :o
While I have my health I would be rather be out doing stuff, there is plenty of time in my old age for sitting by a pool ;)

Budowsky Oct 26th 2006 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Apple12
I had noticed a bit of a theme :o
While I have my health I would be rather be out doing stuff, there is plenty of time in my old age for sitting by a pool ;)

Ive done quite a lot of tramping - i've covered those you've mentioned. I did the Queen Charlotte a few years ago which was great.

The best I've done though is a new one called the Humpridge track near milford. It's a real gutbuster but then comes down onto deserted beaches and through rainforests, and you get the chance to swim with dolphins on a deserted beach.

sky Oct 26th 2006 4:16 am

In Canterbury in the summer it can be extremely sunny and hot one minute and then the wind changes and the temperature plummets. Warm balmy late summer evenings don't seem to exist in this part of NZ and if there occasionally is one you get eaten alive by the flies!
The wind tends to always be icy here unless it's blowing the other way and then it's like a hairdryer and you can get your washing dried super fast!
I've only had one holiday here and that was touring down the south island.
Family holidays are going to be cheap and cheerful camping holidays for a long time yet I think

Markk Oct 26th 2006 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Budowsky
heres the stats :

Bournemouth
http://uk.weather.com/weather/climatology/UKXX0021

Wellington
http://uk.weather.com/weather/climat...X0049?x=11&y=8

As you can see they are sort of similar. If good consistent warm weather is high on your list of reasons to move, think about OZ instead.

I have never really taken advantage of Spain before, but I fully intend to when I get back to the UK!

Looking ahead if I was to move back I would head for Melbourne - it seems to have it all, better weather, good culture, jobs, beaches, etc. I've heard so many good things about it from so many different people there must be some truth in it.

From experience I have noticed kiwi's tend to exagerate how good their summers are and ignore how bad their winters are...You get it every year "should be a great summer this year" :rolleyes:

Ah, well that's Wellington!
Come to Tauranga! The locals are all saying this is the coldest winter for yonks but it has usually got up to at least 14/15 degrees even on the coldest day and the sun has usually shone. When we arrived in April from the long damp sunless winter in England I picked up a tan within a week and have never lost it. I've only worn jeans a couple of times since we've been here.
The weather is slowley getting warmer. We've already been up to the mid twenties and the sun is VERY hot. Even when it's only 15 degrees, if the sun is shining it feels MUCH warmer.
The other thing is that even in mid winter there is so much more bright light here. In the UK you can be lucky to see the sun between November and March and the days are short anyway. It's not like that here!
Mark :cool:

jueinnz Oct 26th 2006 5:50 am

Weather...we all moan about the weather its what we do, but up here in Auckland I have to say I have worn my English style puffa jacket for about one week total in 5 years....yes I have been cold but to be honest if we all put coats and jumpers on we wouldn't be half as cold!!!!

But do not underestimate the rain....boy can it rain and it does in the summer too but its gone in about 15 minutes and everythings dry again!!!

mumomonty Oct 26th 2006 6:46 am

Just done the third winter. First one cold and wet and damp = reminded me of Wales and I've in laws there and guess what? I've been there about 9 times and only once did it turn on the sun for us (at a funeral). It's like that here for us (we are near Hamilton). Absolutely bloody lovely when it does turn on the sun and beautiful and like the Lake District/Wales scenery-wise.
In winter, it is notoriously foggy and damp around Hammy (as we locals call it). It's the damp that gets to you I find and makes you feel cold inside your bones.
Second winter was nice and didn't seem to last that long. It was drier and warmer - only about 10 frosty nights.
Third and final winter - seems to have dragged on and on; very Welsh.
However, when it's sunny in NZ for some reason you forgive it!
Only hols I've had are to the sunny West Island (Australia).
It's a nice place but a bit too like the UK in the weather in the winter at times for us! Before anyone says anything like it's not as cold. We've had consistent frosts this year from March 2nd. The fruit and the veggies are showing a lot of frost damage. The house is insulated now and that helps but if you come, build a new one and make sure you got all the mod cons cos I think if I knew I was staying her eand had central heating then it would be much more cosy in winter. The kiwis swear it's positively tropical here do don't beliive them unless they live in the Bay of Islands or something!

sky Oct 26th 2006 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Weather...we all moan about the weather its what we do, but up here in Auckland I have to say I have worn my English style puffa jacket for about one week total in 5 years....yes I have been cold but to be honest if we all put coats and jumpers on we wouldn't be half as cold!!!!

I draw the line at having to wear them indoors too though

Andrew Cross Oct 26th 2006 9:07 am

Originally Posted by sky
In Canterbury in the summer it can be extremely sunny and hot one minute and then the wind changes and the temperature plummets. Warm balmy late summer evenings don't seem to exist in this part of NZ and if there occasionally is one you get eaten alive by the flies!
The wind tends to always be icy here unless it's blowing the other way and then it's like a hairdryer and you can get your washing dried super fast!
I've only had one holiday here and that was touring down the south island.
Family holidays are going to be cheap and cheerful camping holidays for a long time yet I think

We bought a big 3 bed tent and are hoping to do that this year. When I was in the Uk we had lots of trips away (airline worker) but here as money is more scarce, I think the camping trip will be all we get...although saying that we are all looking forward to it. We have looked at Nelson on the net and quite fancy a drive up there for a week or so when it warms up... :)

sky Oct 26th 2006 9:50 am

We bought a cheap family frame tent from Kmart it's great and we had it up in our garden for three weeks in all weathers and it was completely weather tight. We used to camp a lot in the uk and loved it ... we gave all our equip away when we came here, fools that we are :(

sky Oct 26th 2006 9:53 am

Have you seen when the kiwis go camping at xmas, it's like they're moving house. They pile the trailers up with all the mattresses, fridge, bbq and patio heaters. All the campers put xmas tree lights up around their tents too lol it looks great fun :D