British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/holiday-visa-no-ongoing-flight-903947/)

shuvit Sep 28th 2017 6:00 pm

Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight

Hi - our residency visa is being processed and I am hoping (finger crossed, touching wood etc etc) that all will go through smoothly, my husband is currently in Wellington working under a work visa, we had the points for eoi so applied in August for residency visa
So - our home has been sold in UK and myself and children are hoping to join him next month, but as I don't have a residency visa as yet, wondering how strict they are letting people in without ongoing flight tickets for when the holiday visa expires - obviously we will have the money from the house sale to prove we have the $$ to show we can provide for ourselves and enough to buy a flight ticket to leave the country 'if' our residency visas aren't processed beforehand
Anyone any ideas/suggestions??

MrsFychan Sep 28th 2017 6:50 pm

Re: Holiday Visa with no ongoing flight

My understanding is if you do not have an outgoing flight booked they will not let you board. Maybe some one knows differently but your could call the airline.

Catchafire Sep 28th 2017 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12349272)
My understanding is if you do not have an outgoing flight booked they will not let you board. Maybe some one knows differently but your could call the airline.

Yup, second that. You wont get on the plane.

If you can afford it, book a return ticket, that you can cancel the return portion or get a cheap onward flight from NZ to OZ or some such place.

shuvit Sep 28th 2017 11:58 pm

Thank you both, I shall arrange for flights out of the country after 3 months in that case xx

escapedtonz Sep 29th 2017 6:33 am

I agree. You'll be refused access to the flight without onward travel arrangements, but you can be smart about it.....the onward travel doesn't have to be back to the UK. So long as you are able to enter the country you are travelling to from NZ you'll be fine, therefore you could book a ticket to Aus via an Air New Zealand cheapie deal...you'll just have to make sure you have applied for an AUS tourist visa (which are free and electronic).

Justcol Sep 30th 2017 8:21 am

Money in the bank counts for nothing, if you aint got a ticket, you're not coming in

shuvit Oct 2nd 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks for the info guys

Could I just double check - that I don't need to apply for a holiday visa being a British citizen as the UK is a waiver country - I'm just convinced that there will be a hicup when I get to the airport with the children

Thanks for advice re. OZ tickets, found some at a decent price too

simonsi Oct 3rd 2017 1:27 am

Originally Posted by shuvit (Post 12352116)
Thanks for the info guys

Could I just double check - that I don't need to apply for a holiday visa being a British citizen as the UK is a waiver country - I'm just convinced that there will be a hicup when I get to the airport with the children

Thanks for advice re. OZ tickets, found some at a decent price too

You will need an eVisa for Oz for your ticket onward there to be valid...free and online (bit like the US ESTA but free to obtain)

shuvit Oct 3rd 2017 1:41 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12352270)
You will need an eVisa for Oz for your ticket onward there to be valid...free and online (bit like the US ESTA but free to obtain)

Yes, as I thought - thank you
But nothing required for NZ visiting visa (if residency visa still hasn't been sorted?)

simonsi Oct 3rd 2017 2:15 am

Originally Posted by shuvit (Post 12352282)
Yes, as I thought - thank you
But nothing required for NZ visiting visa (if residency visa still hasn't been sorted?)

Nope. You can walk in and stay for 6mths (I think), with nothing else required than the onward ticket/visa and enough funds.

Note a US ESTA is still required if you are transiting on the way here (even on the short LA-stop NZ flights).

shuvit Oct 3rd 2017 2:20 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12352291)
Nope. You can walk in and stay for 6mths (I think), with nothing else required than the onward ticket/visa and enough funds.

Note a US ESTA is still required if you are transiting on the way here (even on the short LA-stop NZ flights).

That's great - going via Abu Dhabi and Sydney, staying away from the US - but now you have me wondering if I need anything for transit there...
...another thing to add to my check list 😭

Clappy Oct 3rd 2017 7:03 am

Could I just double check - that I don't need to apply for a holiday visa being a British citizen as the UK is a waiver country

This is copied from New Zealand Immigration website list of visa-waiver countries
United Kingdom (must have the right to reside permanently in the United Kingdom)
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ver-countries/

- I'm just convinced that there will be a hicup when I get to the airport with the children

Make sure that you can produce evidence of your onward-ticket at the airport when you check-in.

That is what usually catches out people that visit New Zealand on holiday then arrange a separate side-trip to Australia while they are here. At the airport in Australia returning to NZ they find they are not allowed to board because they haven't taken their travel documents showing their departure from New Zealand with them.

escapedtonz Oct 3rd 2017 8:14 am

The passenger card you all need to complete on the flight in to NZ acts as your visitor visa and once through Immigration it is held electronically. UK is a visa waiver country and you can stay for 6 months.
You do not need anything for Dubai.
You may need a visit / transit visa for Sydney....all depends how long you'll be there. If its just transiting through the airport under 8hrs I think you'll be good. If its more than 8hrs you may need a transit visa. If you wish to leave the airport then you'll need a visit visa ? All pretty simple to arrange free online. Check out Immigration Australia website.
Dubai are shit hot on baggage weights and sizes. The check in desk staff are ruled with an iron fist. Make sure your within the airline stated limits (assume your Emirates) or they'll be slapping you with charges. We got stung for 440 quids worth, argued the toss for over an hour to no avail.
Also, if you are flying onwards from your entry airport in NZ remember the baggage allowances are different between Emirates and Air NZ or Jet Star.

You will need a visit visa if you do end up flying to Aus prior to your NZ visit visa expiring.

PB65 Oct 3rd 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by shuvit (Post 12352294)
That's great - going via Abu Dhabi and Sydney, staying away from the US - but now you have me wondering if I need anything for transit there...
...another thing to add to my check list 😭

Etihad then but check their luggage allowance if flying economy as could be a mean 23kg if buying their saver fare versus Emirates/Qantas/Singapore 30kg. The economy classic or flex fares though seem very generous 2x23kg on Etihad, check anyway as they are always changing

Bobogib Oct 3rd 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by PB65 (Post 12352648)
Etihad then but check their luggage allowance if flying economy as could be a mean 23kg versus Emirates/Qantas/Singapore 30kg

Pretty sure it was 23Kg when I flew with tham last year, but PB65 is correct, well worth checking before you travel.