Holiday money

Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Fidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really nice
Default Holiday money

Hi All,

This is a really simple question but we are not sure of the answer and we don't want to get stuck!

We are flying out to NZ on 14th October for our fact-finding mission. We just need to know if we be able to use our normal Visa card to get money out of ATMs over there and also in shops/petrol stations, etc. I seem to remember reading that there is some problem with using the chip and pin number, but I could well be wrong.

Thank you.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:32 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday money

Originally Posted by Fidan
Hi All,

This is a really simple question but we are not sure of the answer and we don't want to get stuck!

We are flying out to NZ on 14th October for our fact-finding mission. We just need to know if we be able to use our normal Visa card to get money out of ATMs over there and also in shops/petrol stations, etc. I seem to remember reading that there is some problem with using the chip and pin number, but I could well be wrong.

Thank you.
Hiya,

We found when we were out there in April/May, that we couldn't use our Visa card with chip n pin but you can use it and sign for things like in the good ole days! As for cash, we'd luckily taken quite abit and used this for everyday stuff and put the food shopping, petrol, eating out etc on the Visa. It wasn't a problem.

Wish I was going on the 14th October - sure you haven't got room for a little one?!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Fidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really niceFidan is just really nice

Thank you for that - that sounds fine.

Getting very excited now, I have to say - we are just looking forward to arriving, and being able to say that we have survived the journey with a 5 year old and a 3 year old! That's a daunting prospect at the mo, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:00 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fidan
Thank you for that - that sounds fine.

Getting very excited now, I have to say - we are just looking forward to arriving, and being able to say that we have survived the journey with a 5 year old and a 3 year old! That's a daunting prospect at the mo, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks again!
Forgot to say, they'll put your card in the EFTPOS wotsie and you'll stand there thinking "Hmm, that Loolah, she really is Loolah" as you merrily enter your pin only to find it doesn't accept it - then have panic thinking you've got no credit!! After a few times you get used to saying "I have to sign for this" and it's all good.

Who are you flying with and are you stopping? Our 3 year old was really good on both outward and return and she's no angel!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip re. signing!

We are flying with Royal Brunei. Unfortunately we are not having a stopover, as we only have two weeks, so need to get there asap. We still leave home at 7.15am on the Saturday and arrive in Auckland at 10.15am on the Monday! Scary! Hopefully the children will be ok - they are both pretty good and are so excited, so fingers crossed. Still be great to finally arrive!