Holiday/Info trip

Old May 27th 2009, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

iain_moore is on a distinguished road
Default Holiday/Info trip

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help? We are currently sorting out a trip to NZ to gather info and for a holiday. We have looked at some flights and we can fly out via LA. I was talking to a friend who basically holidays in NZ every year, and they said that the stop over in LA was like being in a security zone - finger prints taken, photos taken, herded into a room - not a very nice experience. Is this correct and are all the stopovers in the USA the same? We are flying out from the UK.

Many thanks

Iain
Old May 27th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Wellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to allWellington Will is a name known to all
Default Re: Holiday/Info trip

If you fly straight through, then LA airport is not nice. Plastic chairs, smelly waiting rooms, unhelpful staff etc.

But then it is the shortest way round and if you fly with Air NZ (NZ1) then it's only a couple of hours queueing to get iris scans, fingerprints, waterboarding... er no only joking.

If you stop over for a few days, then drive to San Fran along the ocean road and back. It's one of the world's best drives.

Will
Old May 27th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Flying straight thru LA is not a great experience,and your friend is not far wrong.

Stopping in LA for a few days though is a different proposition, and also you have great alternatives like Singapore and Hong Kong is you are gonna do that.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

kimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iain_moore
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help? We are currently sorting out a trip to NZ to gather info and for a holiday. We have looked at some flights and we can fly out via LA. I was talking to a friend who basically holidays in NZ every year, and they said that the stop over in LA was like being in a security zone - finger prints taken, photos taken, herded into a room - not a very nice experience. Is this correct and are all the stopovers in the USA the same? We are flying out from the UK.

Many thanks

Iain
Hi Iain

The first time we came to NZ we went through LA airport and we hated it. All the guards stand there holding guns an shouting and hurrying you along. Its all soo stressful and such a mad rush. This time when we came we went through San Francisco as i didnt want to go back there and it was alot nicer (even though it was a longer flight) I think no matter where you go in the US they take fingerprints and photos, but in San Francisco it was a lot nicer and more relaxed. That was just my experience though!

Good Luck with however you decide to get there!
Old May 27th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Many thanks

Iain
IMHO flying through the States is unpleasant experience at the best of times, even pre 7/11 it wasn't great. I would recommend flying East instead, Singapore is a pleasure to transit through.
Old May 27th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Singapore is just the bees knees with regards to the airport, you could eat your dinner off it, never seen such a beautiful airport, butterfly gardens, koi ponds, trees, waterfalls - truly an amazing experience. There is a hotel attached to it - Crowne Plaza - you simply walk from the customs clearance to the ramp (all integral to the airport ) again best hotel I have ever stayed in, have done the LA route and we have done it straight throu ( before 9/11 ) but when we came back it was almost a year after and we did stay in LA for a few days, so it wasnt so bad, but the queues to get through security were awful, luckily we had a young baby and they seemed to go out of their way to usher us through, so that was a big plus. Personally I would go Singapore, although its longer the experience is much much better, plus we flew on the A380 which was imho far far better than the 747 - sorry Boeing ..
Old May 27th 2009, 11:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

For me it has to be via Singapore every time. It would be lovely if it could be via the States . LAX on occasions but it is just not a pleasant experience when in transit.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

This is Singapore airport, such a pleasure to be at, could almost have a holiday here, the last pic is the childrens play area, my two were watching cartoon network for ages, what a godsend ...
Attached Thumbnails Holiday/Info trip-dsc00607.jpg   Holiday/Info trip-dsc01385.jpg   Holiday/Info trip-dsc01395.jpg  
Old May 27th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I flew LA with dread as i had heard so much bad on here.. it was absolutly fine, we were in a queue for about 30 minutes where yea we did finger prints etc but that takes like 5 mins max and is hardly a bad exp. we then went to a wee room where they had on free coffees teas juice crisps fruit etc, then back on plane.. they were most helpful as we had lucy they took all our bags to save us carrying them around air port and put them in a safe room.. i would def fly that way again

also my friend just did it when coming to visit us and she said all was fine to here and back home

also we have kiwi friends who always fly LA and for them no hassle either

I know this a few examples but just to let you know its not just me that had a good time going via LA
Old May 27th 2009, 9:22 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

How many debates via LAX or not are we going to have on here??? LOL

Sorry am moody!

I think it's a personal taste thing at the end of the day... I loved Singapore when I flew to Brisbane in 2007 (it was the week before the 1st A380 flight so loads to see!) but when (if??) I am moving to Auckland I will try n fly through LAX just coz of the luggage allowance!
Old May 27th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
How many debates via LAX or not are we going to have on here??? LOL

Sorry am moody!

I think it's a personal taste thing at the end of the day... I loved Singapore when I flew to Brisbane in 2007 (it was the week before the 1st A380 flight so loads to see!) but when (if??) I am moving to Auckland I will try n fly through LAX just coz of the luggage allowance!
yup thats what got us in the end, that extra allowence really does make the difference, the way i looked at it was im not planning a holiday at the airport, its a means to an end so LA won hands down . we could of went via san fran but meant 6 hours at the airport i would much rather spend this time on the plane getting rid of 6 hours travelling... so yup def down to personal taste
Old May 28th 2009, 2:11 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted this many times. Have been through LAX three times now on NZ1 both with and without kids in tow. Didn't find it a problem. Wasn't intimidated. Simple process. Transit lounge was clean and airy. Free hot and cold drinks, apples, cookies and crisps. Only there for about 90 mins and it was nice to get off the plane and stretch legs before next long flight to Auckland. As far as I know its quickest route and best baggage allowance as standard. IMO I just want to get from A to B as quick as possible and transiting at LAX really wasn't a big deal.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I've travelled through LAX 3 times now (here, back & here again). The first return recce trip we did we flew on the BA share thing, and, being incredibly naive we didn't realise at first that BA shared with Qantas, until after we recieved the tickets. It was a nightmare, had to get off the plane, reunite with our luggage, through the main arrivals hall, to another terminal, missed our ongoing Qantas flight because they only allowed 2 hours between flights & that wasn't long enough for the security process. Fortunately because we were travelling with children we got priority for the next NZ flight (some people travelling as parties of adults got changed to flights to Oz and then onward to NZ from there) so we ended up moving to Air NZ, did all the security departure stuff and so on. Returning wasn't quite so bad, largely because we didn't miss any flights) but we still had to do all the security arrivals & departures stuff with all our luggage and no short cuts. Bit of a nightmare.

But, coming over here to stay we flew AirNZ all through, opting for the bigger luggage allowance although with heaps of misgivings after our previous experience, and it was a pleasure. Reunited with hand luggage only, off the plane, queued with the others off NZ1 to do the security stuff, then into a small room for crisps & drinks (sorry, tea, coffee etc, nothing stronger ) then back onto the plane after only a short stop. Piece of cake and I'd do that again no worries. So, from my experience I'd say stick with the one airline, and you'll be fine
Old May 28th 2009, 5:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I've posted this many times. Have been through LAX three times now on NZ1 both with and without kids in tow. Didn't find it a problem. Wasn't intimidated. Simple process. Transit lounge was clean and airy. Free hot and cold drinks, apples, cookies and crisps. Only there for about 90 mins and it was nice to get off the plane and stretch legs before next long flight to Auckland. As far as I know its quickest route and best baggage allowance as standard. IMO I just want to get from A to B as quick as possible and transiting at LAX really wasn't a big deal.
That has been our experience too & we've done it four times.

We shall be flying via Singapore this year because I have a friend who lives there & planning to catch up with her. Also, I haven't been & want to do a bit of sight-seeing.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Hi,

Many thanks

Iain
Hi Ian,
we are doing the same planning a trip for oct/nov for 3 weeks as a reccy ( we have just had our eoi selected), what is the difference in times with the flights?
or doies anyone know? Im getting emrites as the cheapest
thanks
alison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.