Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Holiday entitlement

Holiday entitlement

Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday entitlement

Hi,

Just a question about holiday entitlement in NZ. I have read that the statutory allowance is 3 weeks per year but that this is only after working for 12 months. I do like my job [most of the time!] but the thought of working for a year before any time off... well I just don't want to think about that!

I would like to know whether employers tend to give above the statutory requirement as a matter of course, whether this is up for discussion at interview or whether the tendency is to stick to the letter of the law. Presumably depends on what type of job you do but I'd just like a general overview of what's classed as normal. Here in the UK I've always been given above the statutory amount, though maybe I've just worked for some lovely people!

I haven't got a job yet, just want to know what to expect!

Thanks Sue
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday entitlement

Statutory hols are now 4 weeks plus bank holidays. Most reasonable employers will allow you to take hols before you've been there 12 months but by law they aren't obliged too.

Most companies only offer the statutory minimum (hence the reason I started contracting!!)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:27 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, my book is dated 2006 so obviously out of date already!
Sounds like I won't be looking at working too long without a holiday then. Reason is my job entails doing night and weekend work usually on top of normal working hours so time off becomes essential after a while or you just go insane! All work and no play etc ... I'm not just lazy!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Great question Sue!

Was getting quite concerned as going over for a better life but if what I have been reading about long working hours and no holidays, I was kind off wondering!

I am not lazy either, but do look forward to spending time with my hubs!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Me too!
Had read this about holidays and been told it by a New Zealander living over there. But it never seemed to get mentioned anywhere on here and was just a little worried...
It wouldn't have stopped me going though, after all, it's only one year! Could cope if I had too I suppose
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Totally agree.

Nothing will stop us from going, but little queries like this just make you more sure you are doing the right thing.

Make you feel better!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday entitlement

Just negotiate at your interview.........I did and got what I wanted!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

The way it works at our place is that you accumulate holiday leave each hour you work. So I have only been at my place for @ 4 months yet I will be having paid holiday in the next few weeks.

Plus some companies like the District Health Boards will allow you to take paid holiday before you have accumulated the holiday leave but they ask you to sign a waiver. Basically saying if you leave before you have accrued the paid annual leave you will be asked to pay back the money or it will be docked from your last wage.

So it is not all bad, but make sure you discuss at interview and get it in your work contract.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:12 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I was told at interview that there would be no time off at Christmas, regardless of the fact that you are entitled to your bank hols, although you do get time and half pay and a day in lieu off. Annual leave is accured each week but no leave can be taken until the anniversary of your first year. But then mine is a menial type job. Someone at management level or office-based or professional probably wouldn't have any problem being able to book leave already accured before the 12 months.