Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hobsonville (Auckland)

Hobsonville (Auckland)

Old May 2nd 2019, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice
Default Re: Hobsonville (Auckland)

Originally Posted by BEVS
They may not live there but they may well be local to the area, know the area well and are Aucklanders. Same for some of the posters here. They live in the area and know what they see.

If asking for a real picture then you will get a variety of opinions and viewpoints. People that may have already moved there are unlikely to give a real picture. They will wish to protect their asset.
I asked for opinions but not snarky comments on house sizes,prices,like or dislike etc...I am very aware that house prices are over inflated and that newly built are not everyone cup of tea but that is not what I asked....isn't better to say nothing if you have nothing relevant to say?
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Justcol
Why bother asking. You appear to made up your mind already.
The people who have replied have far more knowledge of the place than you do. When I first moved to Aux I lived a short stroll away, I did some work on some of the houses, still visit family and friends who live in it and around it, although as I said I haven't been to it for a few years as there is nothing to do there. The houses are flimsy, built down to a price for maximum profit, packed in within touching distance of each other, have no sections, some have already reported structural issues but the developers won't have a bar of it. The place has been extremely well marketed and rocketing house prices have attracted many. Auckland prices are now falling but hobbsonville developers continue to market at ott price points, so that's only ever going to end in tears for many. The houses look nice if you like that sort of thing and are very modern inside.
Now remind me again what you experience of the place is....
This is what I meant when I said that often threads get derailed ...I didn't ask about about the housing stock as I am aware it simply boils down to personal opinion.I specifically asked about services in the area.I have lived in Auckland and I am aware of the different style of housing on offer and the issues related to them.I will not waste my time pointing out likes,dislikes,preferences etc.
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

I just know quite a few tradies who have told me about the changes at Hobsonville and none of it has been very positive. They have talked about the very narrow streets, the small houses and so on. If you like the area and if it suits you then great. No-one else's opinion matters. We aren't great drinkers but we still like to have a choice of bars and cafe's locally to choose from. Love meeting up with friends for quiz night on a Thursday evening. We've met loads of new people that way, some have become good friends, others we don't see outside of the quiz but it's good to chat with them. For us, it helps us feel part of the community.
I offered Greenhithe as an alternative consideration, as it has more of a village feel about it.

When we first came over we had ideas of settling on the North Shore from photos we had seen on the internet, but in reality it didn't match our expectations and felt closed in or the houses were cold and damp. So that's how we ended up looking & buying on the Whangaparaoa peninsula.
Thank you for your answer.I will have a look at Greenhithe in August.
Old May 2nd 2019, 10:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by leandra21
I asked for opinions but not snarky comments on house sizes,prices,like or dislike etc...I am very aware that house prices are over inflated and that newly built are not everyone cup of tea but that is not what I asked....isn't better to say nothing if you have nothing relevant to say?
You asked for opinions on the area and from what I read this is what you have received from those on the ground. I bothered to read some of the comments on the link . Most of those seem to also be from those who know the area. To me all input is relevant. Up to you of course whether to take any of it on board or whether to discount it.

Open chat forums are just that. The conversation will ebb and flow and move around the given topic as people talk & exchange. It all helps give a more rounded picture doesn't it but at the end of the day it will be what you feel suits you .
Old May 3rd 2019, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

.I didn't ask about about the housing stock as I am aware it simply boils down to personal opinion.I specifically asked about services in the area.I have lived in Auckland and I am aware of the different style of housing on offer and the issues related to them.I will not waste my time pointing out likes,dislikes,preferences etc.
With your Pompous attitude i'm sure you'll fit right in.
Good luck with your plans
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
With your Pompous attitude i'm sure you'll fit right in.
Good luck with your plans
It takes one to know one!
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I was interested in opinions of people that live there or close enough to give me an idea of services etc...
My apologies, I live 19 mins away from Hobsonville and drive over that way quite often, so I assumed that would make me suitably qualified to have an opinion but clearly you want someone who has a more informed or perhaps a more rose tinted opinion than me. Good luck with that!

If you want facts about whether there is a library or beach nearby then you can quite easily establish that from Google that there are neither within easy striking distance; and would assume your prior experience of Auckland would have given you some idea of the lie of the land and to know where the hospitals are. As you will likely also appreciate from your research that there is no major infrastructure in the 'planning' for Auckland and not likely we will see any new hospitals any time soon in order to meet the demands and service the extra thousands of people that the massive housing estates such as Hobsonville are being built for.
Old May 3rd 2019, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
My apologies, I live 19 mins away from Hobsonville and drive over that way quite often, so I assumed that would make me suitably qualified to have an opinion but clearly you want someone who has a more informed or perhaps a more rose tinted opinion than me. Good luck with that!

If you want facts about whether there is a library or beach nearby then you can quite easily establish that from Google that there are neither within easy striking distance; and would assume your prior experience of Auckland would have given you some idea of the lie of the land and to know where the hospitals are. As you will likely also appreciate from your research that there is no major infrastructure in the 'planning' for Auckland and not likely we will see any new hospitals any time soon in order to meet the demands and service the extra thousands of people that the massive housing estates such as Hobsonville are being built for.
Your first comment was noted and appreciated.You lost me on your second post,snarky and irrelevant.Once again a thread derailed by silly irrelevant comments !
Old May 4th 2019, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Your first comment was noted and appreciated.You lost me on your second post,snarky and irrelevant.Once again a thread derailed by silly irrelevant comments !
Thankfully you don't get to choose the way a thread goes or it would be very boring; my second post was in response to Moses about one particular house in Hobsonville that he found and really nothing to do with you at all, so perhaps you just need to take a chill pill.