British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hit a dead end with locating course syllabus /transcripts for NVQ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hit-dead-end-locating-course-syllabus-transcripts-nvq-926842/)

starbucks72 Aug 1st 2019 5:00 am

Hit a dead end with locating course syllabus /transcripts for NVQ

Hey, here's hoping someone can give any help or suggestions to my problem as I seem to have hit a dead end.
My partner and I are wanting to move to NZ on a permanent basis and have been advised (by an immigration lawyer who we have since parted ways with) that we could go in on SMC using my points.
I have an NVQ 3 in child care and education which was awarded to me in 1998 and as it was so long ago one of the awarding bodies does not even exist anymore! I have called around 9 different departments all of which have passed me on to another and no one can help.
I'm trying to get a copy of the transcript/syllabus for Nzqa assessment so I'm not sure where to go from here. I must just add that we are both British citizens with British passports but have been living in SA for the last 6 years so ringing all these 0845 numbers from my cell phone has cost a fortune :banghead:
We are wondering now if we won't just go to NZ and do everything that side. Whilst we understand all the paperwork still needs to be done we have known of people just to up and leave and get a job etc when they were there.

escapedtonz Aug 1st 2019 7:29 am

Re: Hit a dead end with locating course syllabus /transcripts for NVQ

First of all, and considering the Skilled Migrant Resident Visa, what points do you score on the EOI ?
Please make sure all the points claimed are solid points. To be solid points you need to be able to provide evidence at the time of claim that you are eligible for them. You cannot claim for points retrospectively - i.e. you cannot claim for say 6 years of overseas work experience when you've only done 5 years 6 months, OR claiming points for a job offer when you don't have a job offer etc.

You must score at least 160 points to have any chance of getting the EOI selected from the EOI pool. Selections are automatic every fortnight. If you do not score at least 160 points there is no point submitting as it'd just be a waste of time and money.

I've looked before and there is no mention of NVQ qualifications on the UK qualifications exempt from assessment list so you would have to have it assessed by NZQA. If you are unable to get copies of transcripts/syllabus from your education provider or awarding body then you may well be screwed. My mrs had a bit of trouble getting her nursing qualification transcripts from the school of nursing as it had been over 20 years. Luckily they were eventually found archived on to microfiche. All you can do is apply for the transcripts/syllabus info and hope whichever body is looking for them can find them. If not, maybe ask if they have any alternative way of getting the information. You aren't the first person to ask for it and you won't be the only person who's info has gone missing or been archived away where nobody knows.
Without the info it is unlikely NZQA will assess giving you the desired result meaning you may not be eligible for the associated points.

What is your occupation ?

I'm assuming you are an Early Childhood Teacher but if not the following may not apply:-
That occupation is classed as skilled in NZ, however that occupation does not appear on the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL), so a pathway to Resident Visa is unlikely. Doesn't mean you won't be able to go down the path of RV at a later stage but means initially you'll probably have to go the temporary visa route first.
So, Back to that occupation. It is listed on the Regional Skill Shortage List and for All Regions. So this means if you meet the required education standard and minimum work experience standard and are offered a job doing this occupation then you may be eligible for an Essential Skills Temporary Work Visa which could give you up to 5 years here. If you also meet minimum salary thresholds it can allow a partner and dependents to also secure visas based on the family stream - partnership and dependency.
Now the bad news.
The required standard is equivalent or higher than NZQF Level 7 which is Graduate Diploma in Teaching, or a Bachelor of Education (Teaching) Early Childhood, or a Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education)
AND
NZ Teaching Registration
AND
a provisional practicing certificate
AND
minimum 2 years post qualification work experience with kids up to 5yrs age including babies and toddlers.

NVQ 3 is equivalent to a couple of A Levels.
NVQ 4 is like BTEC HNC level
NVQ 5 is diploma level / foundation degree.

Your only option if you just come here and take the risk is a visit visa. You would only be allowed to visit for a short period - maximum 9 months probably and you would need proof you have the funds to cover every cost for the full period of your visit here and you would also need proof you have outgoing flights booked to leave before the visa expired.
Yes you can look for work, attend interviews etc but you cannot work at all on a visit visa. You can't do anything. No volunteering work, no work trial to show an employer what you can do, no helping put up a fence for a beer.
However, if you got a job offer you could use that and apply for the ESV while still in NZ and also apply for partner and dependent visas at the same time and hope Immigration processed them and approved them before the visit visas expired and before you needed to leave.

Yes many people have done it this way in the past but it isn't as easy nowadays. Immigration have clamped down a lot and the rules are often being streamlined to control the flow of immigrants.

starbucks72 Aug 1st 2019 12:25 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.
Yes, I am an Early Years teacher. I do have a solid 160 points for the EOI but obviously just missing the course syllabus /transcripts.
I guess I must keep trying and see if I come right.
TBH, I wasn't aware of the regional skills shortage list. I will take a look now.
I understand what you say about immigration clamping down. I guess I was just hoping it was another avenue to take if all else failed...... or maybe a different career!

carcajou Aug 4th 2019 1:01 am

Can you advise, what is your previous experience in New Zealand - either work or study? Or, do you have a job offer in NZ?

I had a look at the points indicator and couldn't get to 160 points from the situation as you described it, unless there was a job offer or you have previous NZ experience/study - unless you have a Master's/Doctorate that NZQA will recognise.

I got to 140 points on it, but with you having a Bachelor's Degree and 10+ years of work experience, and your partner having a Bachelor's Degree too. Again, that is without previous NZ experience. Without a Bachelor's for either of you it drops to 120.

So, just, be really careful about a "solid 160 points." This forum is littered with threads of excited people who thought they were there, only to find out they were actually not close. That can be crushing.

starbucks72 Aug 12th 2019 4:32 am

Thank you for your help and advice.
So an update, I now have the originals of my course syllabus and transcripts!
My next question is, obviously my qualifications need to be assessed by the Nzqa but I'm not sure if I need to apply for an IQA or PAR? I can see that the IQA is clearly a more in depth assessment, hence the fee they charge! Can anyone help?
I have an NVQ 3 which I think will equate to ANZCO level 4, nowhere near a Bachelors Degree so going forward I'm not sure what jobs I'll be able to apply for as the majority of jobs on Seek and Trade me want qualified and registered :unsure:
Any help greatly appreciated, I'm getting myself really worked up over this.
Another thing, I also did the points calculator and not come up with 160. My partner would be able to work but has no physical certificates just years of experience in the construction industry. Mainly carpentry.

escapedtonz Aug 12th 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by starbucks72 (Post 12721969)
Thank you for your help and advice.
So an update, I now have the originals of my course syllabus and transcripts!
My next question is, obviously my qualifications need to be assessed by the Nzqa but I'm not sure if I need to apply for an IQA or PAR? I can see that the IQA is clearly a more in depth assessment, hence the fee they charge! Can anyone help?
I have an NVQ 3 which I think will equate to ANZCO level 4, nowhere near a Bachelors Degree so going forward I'm not sure what jobs I'll be able to apply for as the majority of jobs on Seek and Trade me want qualified and registered :unsure:
Any help greatly appreciated, I'm getting myself really worked up over this.
Another thing, I also did the points calculator and not come up with 160. My partner would be able to work but has no physical certificates just years of experience in the construction industry. Mainly carpentry.

PAR is sufficient for the EOI process, but it may not give you the results you need as it isn't as thorough an assessment as IQA. If you don't get the desired result your only option would be IQA and you'd have lost the time and money spent on PAR.
You can of course just have IQA instead.
​​Bear in mind IQA is mandatory for the ITA stage so you'd always have to have IQA if you keep on going with the visa processing.

If you don't score minimum 160 points you are wasting your time anyways as your EOI would never be selected.
If you had minimum 160 but no points for a job offer then you wouldn't be approved anyways. The best you would get is 12 month JSV for principal applicant only.
I'd say your husband may be better placed to get a skilled job offer. Often, years of work experience outweighs the need for formal qualifications as this catches all those older people that didn't do years of studying before learning a trade as was the norm years ago. Carpentry is a highly sought after skill here and is pretty much what Kiwis class as a builder.
it also may be a better option to go for job offers and temp work visas then work towards resident visas later ?

​​​​​