History

Old Feb 20th 2018, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default History

I certainly do not remember reading about this in school -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Taranaki_War

I would like to think it is now covered in schools in NZ. As for the teaching of Imperial History in Britain - forget it !
Old Feb 21st 2018, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: History

in the grand scheme of things it looks like little more than a minor skirmish, not enough to make a blip in the halls of power

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 21st 2018 at 8:06 am.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A blip ? That is not how I would see it if I were Maori.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 7:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
It is an important part of NZ history and certainly not a blip. It was a symptom of a very differing understanding from both sides and one that plagues NZ today and which, to my mind, stops New Zealand moving forward as a collective , united nation.

It will be taught in schools as a part of History/Social Sciences, as there is a need to have some knowledge around the Treaty of Waitangi and in fact Waitangi Day is a national holiday.
It will obviously be taught in any Maori immersion school & some schools offer an immersion class I think.

It's a difficult one. There are historical and current rights and wrongs on both sides & it isn't as simple as stating a country came in and overthrew the native people. It is far more complex.

Read "The Great Divide" by Ian Wishart if you are interested in this subject. Waterstones can access and despatch I believe.

Here is something about the History curriculum for NZ schools.

Understand how historical forces and movements have influenced the causes and consequences of events of significance to New Zealanders
Understand how people’s interpretations of events that are of significance to New Zealanders differ.
Understand that the causes, consequences, and explanations of historical events that are of significance to New Zealanders are complex and how and why they are contested
Understand how trends over time reflect social, economic, and political forces.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 25th 2018 at 7:43 pm. Reason: add book link
Old Feb 26th 2018, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I am not Maori so don't really care.

Its like asking a kiwi in London how they feel about the Peterloo massacre.
Foe them its irrelevant
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That is a tribal way of seeing things. Would fit the scenario of Mad Max. Maybe that is where we are heading.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lets hope so because it looks a much more exciting place than the kingdom of bleeding liberal hearts