Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hire car to Tauranga

Hire car to Tauranga

Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hire car to Tauranga

So we arrive in Oct. at Auckland with 6 suitcases and handluggage... and add a dog to that and 3 people.
We used Apollo car hire in April for the 2 of us (Auck--> Auck) but any suggestions for large car hire to Tauranga where we can then deposit car after we buy our own.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 4:34 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hire car to Tauranga

Not sure about Tauranga area but we used Ezy car hire and they were fab!

good luck
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Not sure about Tauranga area but we used Ezy car hire and they were fab!

good luck
I think Ezy car are agents for Apollo carsall the cars had apollo paperwork.

I'm just wondering if people used a trailer on the car or 'people movers' when they first arrive with all their luggage? It's a bit different from 0ne suitcase on a recce.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
I think Ezy car are agents for Apollo carsall the cars had apollo paperwork.

I'm just wondering if people used a trailer on the car or 'people movers' when they first arrive with all their luggage? It's a bit different from 0ne suitcase on a recce.
we used a campervan from maui, & travelled from auck to welly in it
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:56 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We hired a Parejo from Avis which with 3 large suitcases, 2 small ones & hand luggage PLUS the 5 of us was a 'snug' fit!!!

When we 1st came to NZ with friends, we hired a minibus from National for 8 of us which will probably be the best option. Better to have too much room than not enough IMO.

Helen, I have to say that you're being incredibly organised hun, sorting things already. We were running round sorting all of these things a fortnight before we left
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:38 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

For that much luggage you really need a van or people carrier where you can fold the back row of seats down or forward. Talk to Rent a Dent, they do Toyota Hiaces which would be fine. Alternatively hire two cars and drop one off when you've got to Tauranga. You could get a trailer but it's a lot of extra hassle dealing with carparks and reversing, probably not what you want at such a stressful time.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:47 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

So we arrive in Oct. at Auckland with 6 suitcases and handluggage... and add a dog to that and 3 people.
We used Apollo car hire in April for the 2 of us (Auck--> Auck) but any suggestions for large car hire to Tauranga where we can then deposit car after we buy our own.
Oh Helen, this was the bit I forgot to organise!!

We ended up hiring the shittiest death trap with trailer, had 8 cases plus 6 lots of hand luggage and 2 smaller dog crates as had to leave theirs at airport as too big, then we 6 and 2 dogs in the car! Luckily were able to drop the car and trailer off in the Mount, but we had to rent it for 10 days minimum. Which actually wasn't too bad, but obviously we didn't need the trailer for 10 days!

I can't for the life of me remember who it was with, but I'll ask Hubster when I get home if he can remember!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi helen.

We had 8 suitcases and managed to squeeze 7 and 4 of us into a Rav 4. The last case (brand new I add) we had to unpack and tuck the contents into any remaining orifices (ooer) and leave it in the car park. On reflection we probably created a security alert. There are bigger 4 WD that would definitely do the job. Personally I wouldn`t use Avis as they are very expensive and overcharged us.
Cheers
Ash
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

FLY... Go to airnz.co.nz.. You can fly from akl to tauranga for $69 and you wont have to return the car to rental..just get a minibus taxi when you get to tauranga . Job done..
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
We hired a Parejo from Avis which with 3 large suitcases, 2 small ones & hand luggage PLUS the 5 of us was a 'snug' fit!!!

When we 1st came to NZ with friends, we hired a minibus from National for 8 of us which will probably be the best option. Better to have too much room than not enough IMO.

Helen, I have to say that you're being incredibly organised hun, sorting things already. We were running round sorting all of these things a fortnight before we left
Thanks Sarah, well I'm trying to do this and work! I've taken today off sick my stomach is churning etc. I think the organising is getting to me! we're booke dup every w/e till we go so I'm trying to do something each day.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poppets
we used a campervan from maui, & travelled from auck to welly in it
interesting idea- I like that!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
For that much luggage you really need a van or people carrier where you can fold the back row of seats down or forward. Talk to Rent a Dent, they do Toyota Hiaces which would be fine. Alternatively hire two cars and drop one off when you've got to Tauranga. You could get a trailer but it's a lot of extra hassle dealing with carparks and reversing, probably not what you want at such a stressful time.
Thanks - do you think a rent a dent would get to Tauranga without breaking down would be cheaper though!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Oh Helen, this was the bit I forgot to organise!!

We ended up hiring the shittiest death trap with trailer, had 8 cases plus 6 lots of hand luggage and 2 smaller dog crates as had to leave theirs at airport as too big, then we 6 and 2 dogs in the car! Luckily were able to drop the car and trailer off in the Mount, but we had to rent it for 10 days minimum. Which actually wasn't too bad, but obviously we didn't need the trailer for 10 days!

I can't for the life of me remember who it was with, but I'll ask Hubster when I get home if he can remember!
I saw your face when it broke down on you in Tauranga, I think I'll give it a miss
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi helen.

We had 8 suitcases and managed to squeeze 7 and 4 of us into a Rav 4. The last case (brand new I add) we had to unpack and tuck the contents into any remaining orifices (ooer) and leave it in the car park. On reflection we probably created a security alert. There are bigger 4 WD that would definitely do the job. Personally I wouldn`t use Avis as they are very expensive and overcharged us.
Cheers
Ash
who did you hire from?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by welshwales
FLY... Go to airnz.co.nz.. You can fly from akl to tauranga for $69 and you wont have to return the car to rental..just get a minibus taxi when you get to tauranga . Job done..
OK first ANZ will only give tiny luggage allowance and I don't think I can take the dog on board shame!
but I've just booked son onto ANZ for a later date from Melbourne to Auck and I'm thinking the Auck- Tauranga would save me collecting him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.