Reload this Page >

Hints and Tips for an IT Project Manager looking for work

Hints and Tips for an IT Project Manager looking for work

Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Lizziebum is on a distinguished road
Question Hints and Tips for an IT Project Manager looking for work

Hi,

We're starting to think about moving to NZ, and were wondering how best to start looking for work? I think me and the wife have enough points for the skilled migrants scheme. Should we try and get work before we leave? I'm an I.T Project Manager - does anyone have any ideas as to where to look/what would be the most likely area to get work? Is there anywhere other than Auckland?

thanks muchly,

Jon, Liz, and Harry
Old Sep 4th 2005, 8:12 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hints and Tips for an IT Project Manager looking for work

Originally Posted by Lizziebum
Hi,

We're starting to think about moving to NZ, and were wondering how best to start looking for work? I think me and the wife have enough points for the skilled migrants scheme. Should we try and get work before we leave? I'm an I.T Project Manager - does anyone have any ideas as to where to look/what would be the most likely area to get work? Is there anywhere other than Auckland?

thanks muchly,

Jon, Liz, and Harry
Welcome to the mad house!

Can't say much about your area of work but on the skilled migrants part - if you have a 100 or more points without jobs I'd say put in the EOI now just in case the points go up, the process will take around 4 months anyway, giving you time to look for work, and you can always submit without a job offer, and then update it when you get work, which will make you a higher priority.

That way it's only going to cost you about £130 to get the ball rolling, worth it to secure your EOI at the current threshold even if you've not quite made the decision to go the whole hog.

Last edited by bookemjano; Sep 4th 2005 at 8:14 am. Reason: additional info
Old Sep 4th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi,

My husband is an IT business analyst, and we were in the same position. We had enough points to put in our EOI without a job offer, so we did- just in case the points threshold went up. We submitted EOI on 14th August, and got selected frompool on 17th August - now waiting for NZIS to do preliminary checks before issuing us an ITA.

I'd say get your EOI in now while the situation is in your favour.
As for job hunting - it's hard from the other side of the world - especially since we don't want to be in a big centre like Auckland or Wellington. We look on Seek and Netcheck jobsites and apply for anything suitable. We have also sent off speculative CVs and letters tocompanies where we want tolive.

Hope this helps

Kathryn

Hi,

thanks muchly,

Jon, Liz, and Harry
Old Sep 4th 2005, 9:34 am

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Hi,

thanks muchly,

Jon, Liz, and Harry
Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!
The previous posts are bang on - get your EOI in ASAP and get the ball rolling! The selections are every fortnight so you will have to check when the last ones were if you were thinking of putting it in this week.

We currently in the ITA stage and getting the checks and info together and we put our EOI in on the 3rd August and got selected the next day - it was down to the timing of the selections and nothing else really

If you need anymore help then there are quite a few people with good advice on here.

Cheers,
Dave and Lyns
Old Sep 4th 2005, 9:43 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thanks muchly,

Jon, Liz, and Harry
Welcome to the forum...

One of the members of this forum(Pompey Paul) has very kindly put together a website for us containing links to all sorts of useful information and one of the sections is dedicated to finding work...there are lots of links on it which are specific to finding jobs in the IT sector if you have a look here... http://www.thisisfengshui.com/expats/jobs.htm

Plus, there is going to be an expo in October which is a good opportunity to allow you to meet employers specifically interested in recruiting skilled migrants (or so it says in their blurb!) They are having 2 dates in London and 2 in Manchester...have a look here... www.expo-newzealand.com

good luck...
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

When I was doing some research in this field, there seemed to be a few jobs going in Wellington, and loads in Auckland. Fujitsu and EDS are both quite big in NZ, so worth checking their websites. I understand it's worth getting the PMI's PMP qualification (www.pmi.org) for working anywhere outside UK; I started down this route then put it on the back burner when I got a job offer anyway.

Hi,

thanks muchly,

Jon, Liz, and Harry
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all your replies - some really useful tips and it is so good hearing about other people who have done it or about to - when we did an initially enquiry my husband scored 115 so i think it might be worth putting in our EOI like suggested by a few of you, in case the threshold goes up.

In relation to this though is there a time limit/expiry date between being acceptance and moving out there - the reason we ask is we want to thoroughly research it before we do leave and save as much money as possible to cover us until we or one of us finds work. Me (the wife as my other half so kindly put it before) would be looking to work in local government/council departments as i do now - is this realistic i.e. is there the market for this type of work as i currently work within local communities to help regenerate deprived area.

My other concern is missing family (OH not so worried) - does this getter easier as time goes on in experience

PompeyPauls website seems really useful, might try getting in touch with him directly if possible as we are from Portsmouth ourselves and the OH is a Pompey fan

Many thanks again, and by the way Harry is our dog, who hopefully will come with us...

Best wishes to all,

Liz, Jon and Harry
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:56 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all your replies - some really useful tips and it is so good hearing about other people who have done it or about to - when we did an initially enquiry my husband scored 115 so i think it might be worth putting in our EOI like suggested by a few of you, in case the threshold goes up.

In relation to this though is there a time limit/expiry date between being acceptance and moving out there - the reason we ask is we want to thoroughly research it before we do leave and save as much money as possible to cover us until we or one of us finds work. Me (the wife as my other half so kindly put it before) would be looking to work in local government/council departments as i do now - is this realistic i.e. is there the market for this type of work as i currently work within local communities to help regenerate deprived area.

My other concern is missing family (OH not so worried) - does this getter easier as time goes on in experience

PompeyPauls website seems really useful, might try getting in touch with him directly if possible as we are from Portsmouth ourselves and the OH is a Pompey fan

Many thanks again, and by the way Harry is our dog, who hopefully will come with us...

Best wishes to all,

Liz, Jon and Harry
You wont believe this.....my Wife does the same sort of work!....bet you know each other!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
You wont believe this.....my Wife does the same sort of work!....bet you know each other!
ooh how spooky - what's her name? I do enjoy working with community and voluntary organisation so would hope i can continue if we moved

Last edited by Lizziebum; Sep 5th 2005 at 2:33 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:58 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

ooh how spooky - what's her name? I do enjoy working with community and voluntary organisation so would hope i can continue if we moved
Pam Webb......we live in the portsmouth area
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Pam Webb......we live in the portsmouth area
Oh it doesn't ring any bells - where in Portsmouth do you live - we live in North End?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:52 pm
Nice Tats

Oh it doesn't ring any bells - where in Portsmouth do you live - we live in North End?
Widley....do you work for PCC?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Widley....do you work for PCC?
Sort off - Portsmouth Council of Community Service (PCC fund us) - our last name is Immins.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:00 pm
Nice Tats

Smile Re: Hints and Tips for an IT Project Manager looking for work

Hi Lizzie, Pam here I work in Regen and Business in the Civic, hubby wouldnt know about PCCS, but I know who you are, where are you based? Be good to chat about the big move, cant wait to go, 2 years and counting, look forward to speaking to you Pam
Old Sep 8th 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lizzie, Pam here I work in Regen and Business in the Civic, hubby wouldnt know about PCCS, but I know who you are, where are you based? Be good to chat about the big move, cant wait to go, 2 years and counting, look forward to speaking to you Pam
I am based within PCCS at the top of commercial road - part of the community empowerment fund project.

You are definately going then - we are still weighing up the idea going to go to a few exhibitions next months to research it a bit more - its me who is more hesitant as very close to my family however on the other hand i don't want to raise children (if we have them) here...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.