Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Highs & Lows Of NZ!

The Highs & Lows Of NZ!

Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:48 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Highs & Lows Of NZ!

Originally Posted by genzana
Oops! I'm one of those people who can't afford to take a look first so I'm moving to NZ in a month without ever having visited it. I'm also nervous that it will have many of the aspects I didn't like about the UK (perhaps the stressful, individualistic lifestyle above all).

Some disclaimers to what sounds like a stupid move on my part:
- I'm moving with my New Zealander partner who has become homesick
- I've moved country a few times in my life, so at least I'm mentally prepared for the tough times
- I'm currently living in (and loving) Italy, but there isn't really a career future for myself or my partner here - so we have to move somewhere

Let's face it, uprooting yourself and settling in ANYWHERE is hard. It seems that more immigrants love NZ than several other places.

I really appreciate the discussions on this forum - I'm sure they'll be a lifeline in the months to come.
Don't worry visiting the country is a fatal move....that's when the penny drops and you suddenly realise how much we Brits and tinned sardines have in common. No short visit is going to help...just like a holiday break.
If it helps a holiday in Italy nowhere comes up to the feel good factor of a holiday in NZ.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

DEANO79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodo folks and thanks for all of the replies. I am well aware of bad press anywhere you go but just needed a little reassurance from guys and gals like you, who have already made/or about to settle in NZ. There are many many reasons why I wish to settle in NZ but, the biggest of all is, you only live once so I am going to embrace all that NZ has to offer, particularly the rugby, surfing and the family friendly environment. I am planning a visit in 2010 once the visa is in my possession - following that, I will then begin the arguous task of sorting out matters in the UK and family, which will not be easy.

Have a great New Year folks !!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! I'm one of those people who can't afford to take a look first so I'm moving to NZ in a month without ever having visited it. I'm also nervous that it will have many of the aspects I didn't like about the UK (perhaps the stressful, individualistic lifestyle above all).

Some disclaimers to what sounds like a stupid move on my part:
- I'm moving with my New Zealander partner who has become homesick
- I've moved country a few times in my life, so at least I'm mentally prepared for the tough times
- I'm currently living in (and loving) Italy, but there isn't really a career future for myself or my partner here - so we have to move somewhere

Let's face it, uprooting yourself and settling in ANYWHERE is hard. It seems that more immigrants love NZ than several other places.

I really appreciate the discussions on this forum - I'm sure they'll be a lifeline in the months to come.
I am sure that you will be fine. Kate my wife came here 'blind' and she loves it. Mind you..Italy THEN NZ.. I think you may find that a bit hard!!!!! I am only saying that as I adore Italy with a passion and would live there a few months of the year if I could. Just remember whilst NZ is utterly wonderful it's a total desert in terms of beautiful aged, physical culture....buildings, food et al. However I am sure whilst you will miss Italy NZ will be well the refreshing change for all the reasons you have mentioned. Good luck aye?

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 27th 2009 at 5:00 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

genzana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the support folks!

Yes, Genesis, you've hit the nail on the head. I'm trying not to think about leaving the Italian food, history, sense of community... Then again, I can't wait to go somewhere with relatively little sexism, ageism, racism(?), and a modern approach to bureaucracy and public services.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the support folks!

Yes, Genesis, you've hit the nail on the head. I'm trying not to think about leaving the Italian food, history, sense of community... Then again, I can't wait to go somewhere with relatively little sexism, ageism, racism(?), and a modern approach to bureaucracy and public services.
Yes, I have heard Italy is a nightmare and each town's mayor weilds incredible power. Ageism is not an issue as people work here up to their 80s, racism does exist but I see very little personally (maybe I am dim )...but its all down to perception. I saw MUCH strife re racism in the UK..so from my frame of perspective NZ is pretty cool re race problems, although I know it does exist. Public transport out of the BIG conurbations is total crap...everyone is totally reliant on their 2/4 wheels. Sexism does not appear to be a big thing..that would be Oz!!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:15 am
Just Joined

baldylocks is an unknown quantity at this point

I cant help but find it facinating that nobody in these forums gives mention to the fact that we moved or are moving to a foreign country, if you have moved or are about to move because you want little britain, think again, lots of things are similar but they are not what you are used to, what you need to do on arrival is relax, open your mind, and enjoy everything new zealand can offer you, but keep in mind it is not Britain, I have been here 13 years now and would never go back
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:28 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Highs & Lows Of NZ!

If you have yourself largely sorted out financially or just don't want for much the New Zealand could be the country for you. Moved here over 6 years ago and I like it. I might not stay forever but it's such a step up from the UK that to even consider going back to live would be silly for me .

Just know that it's not sunny all the time (though the weather is better...mostly ) and you will have to put a lot of effort into making new friends over the first couple of years. The first year or two might be stressful but in the long term you'll come to realise how nice it is not to live in a constant pressure cooker.

Napier is nice, you picked a good spot. If it wasn't for work and university I'd probably move over that way myself .
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

I would say the majority of negativism is concentrated on Expat Exposed (so I don't read it ). There are no places where all is good/bad and I guess it is the same with New Zealand. It largely depends also where you come from and what your expectations are. But still, all this moaning caused more caution with us so we instead of permanent move at first hand, chose a 1 month trip with special attention to issues where people had been struggling. IMHO most of their reactions were exaggerated but still I don't say it is piece of cake to find a (good) job nor decent (rental) property. It cost us a fortune (roughly 8,5k EUR for the family of 4 in low season) which we would sure better spend on permanent move but we are now prepared to some level what to expect there and 100% dedicated to the "project" (all of us now - before trip, I was the only maniac ). I can certainly understand the annoying feeling you may have relying to internet only. I would not worry about the NZ food (the beef, fish, veggies and fruit are AWESOME!) as it tastes much better than any European greenhouse grown. I loved it (and I love italian food, too). And you may struggle with the crowd on the beach as there is hardly anybody to see. I believe NZ is there where Europe never will be (or never was, whatever).

Last edited by ibex; Jan 7th 2010 at 10:25 am.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEANO79
Hi folks...I'm new to this forum so appologies if this should have been posted elsewhere. My wife and I have only our medicals to sort now before we can scoot off to NZ and, to be honest, it cannot come quick enough - we want out of the UK. We anticipate settling down in the Napier/Hastings region, however, this is still not 100% certain yet as investigations continue, as we speak. Nonetheless, this is becoming quite a task and I am a little concerned about some of the threads that show NZ in such a negative way; crime, boy racers, burglary, bad driving, racism (particularly towards expats), expenses and fees - the list seems to go on and on. Now, I am not moving to NZ to find another UK, quite the contrary, as I wish to live in a different society to the one I have now, however, such postings cannot be ignored. Am I missing something? Is it really as bad as some say and, if yes, where are we talking about? Obviously, people have different opinions so I am open to all sides of this topic. Many thanks folks for any replies and Happy Christmas.
We are in the same situation, but the financial factor is killing the dream for us. All of the other bads, crime, boy racers, burglary, bad driving, racism, are things I have seen in the U.K. having lived in London where I even had the hat stolen from off my head! Expenses and fees seem the deal breaker for us
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
as Wanganui is shit!
It must be my warped sence of humour but that made me
laugh so much i chocked on my coffee

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Expenses and fees seem the deal breaker for us
Why who are you paying??
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
It must be my warped sence of humour but that made me
laugh so much i chocked on my coffee

Why who are you paying??
I meant cost of living expenses and medical fees etc.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh i see.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:57 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I drove through W(h?)anganui today and it seemed nice. I mean quiet but in a good way.