High Cholesterol

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

julieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nice
Unhappy High Cholesterol

Hi
Just about to send in my ITA but am worried as my medical shows that my cholesterol is 5.6. The doctor has ticked the significant findings and has also ticked that because my bmi is 36 then this would affect my ability to work. I could understand if this was 40+.

Already lost 23 ilbs and taking the flora yogurt drink to reduce chol.

So anyone out there has or is in similar position with any advice or their experience to offer. Currently we have sold our house so the visa is the only thing we are waiting for.

Julie
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: High Cholesterol

Originally Posted by julieandgraham
Hi
Just about to send in my ITA but am worried as my medical shows that my cholesterol is 5.6. The doctor has ticked the significant findings and has also ticked that because my bmi is 36 then this would affect my ability to work. I could understand if this was 40+.

Already lost 23 ilbs and taking the flora yogurt drink to reduce chol.

So anyone out there has or is in similar position with any advice or their experience to offer. Currently we have sold our house so the visa is the only thing we are waiting for.

Julie

5.6 is quite easy to reduce with your diet,IMHO this would just be classed as borderline,over 6 and they would probably be looking at medication to reduce your levels...obviously under 5 is what they are looking for,(for your health that is,not to get into NZ) as your doctor would have already told you..
you sound like you are doing the right thing anyway,well done loosing 23lbs..did your doctor say what your HDL level was compared to your LDL level..

HDL, is your good cholesterol ,and idealy this should be under 3 ..

LDL ,otherwise known as your bad cholesterol as this is the one that can cause heart attacks or strokes ,this again should be under 3,but it is also the easiest one to reduce..
Go for Nuts,olives avacados olive and canola oils(Monounsaturated)
Polyunsaturated omega 6,corn soybean and safflower margarine and oils..

I wouldn't worry about this too much as you are doing something about this..there are people with higher BMIs than you managed to get hear...hope this helps...Jacky
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice

Can you get your GP to repeat your blood tests which you can send along with your ITA. OH cholesterol was up and we had to get them repeated. Having them repeated might show that they have reduced to within the limits the MA might find acceptable. Hope this helps and good luck.
Steve and Dee.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby's cholesterol level was at 5.5, but when repeated a week later it was back down.

You could always have it repeated for your own peace of mind and send it along with the other one?

Good luck and sorry I can't help with the BMI issue.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

julieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nicejulieandgraham is just really nice
Wink Re: High Cholesterol

Hi All
Thanks for your replies it has put my mind at rest that worst case I have to show that my chol is less than 5. I am planning to get another test in two weeks to put my mind at rest before christmas so I will send it in.

looks like it will be a low-fat christmas.

julie
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Eat Porridge lass, works a treat