British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HiFx, Halo and the like! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hifx-halo-like-630388/)

dave77 Sep 12th 2009 11:59 am

HiFx, Halo and the like!

Has anybody had any experience with using either of these companies (or anyone similar) for transferring their £ to $ ??

We came across them at an emigrate show back in february, and the 'big sell' is that they give you higher exchange rates than banks would.

I'd be very interested to hear your experiences!

Cheers

BEVS Sep 12th 2009 12:03 pm

Re: HiFx, Halo and the like!

Dunno TBH. The forex are all much of a much.
Have you settled on NZ then?

dave77 Sep 12th 2009 12:06 pm

Hi Bevs,

Yes definitely NZ (South Island!) Most probably outskirts of ChCh but really it will depend on where (or if!) I can find work :fingerscrossed:

littleal Sep 12th 2009 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 7925451)
Has anybody had any experience with using either of these companies (or anyone similar) for transferring their £ to $ ??

We came across them at an emigrate show back in february, and the 'big sell' is that they give you higher exchange rates than banks would.

I'd be very interested to hear your experiences!

Cheers

Halo - very good, professional & personal service

Stoof Sep 12th 2009 10:36 pm

reckon they're all much of a muchness really too... we used world first based on recommendation from mates - v happy with them, but i know others that have happily used hifx and moneycorp... i'd use a forex place rather than a bank cos you should get a better rate (also better than moneygram etc if it's not urgent).. all depends on how much you're exchanging too i guess...

Persephone Sep 13th 2009 6:09 am

Hi
I used Halo earlier this year and have an order to change more cash when the exchange rate improves. I think they all do more or less the same thing. All went very smoothly. I told them the amount I wanted to change and at what rate and then as soon as that was reached I received an message with instructions on how to pay them and where I wanted the $$ to go. They do not receive any cash until the rate has reached your desired amount.
Cash out of my UK account and into my NZ account in about 2days:thumbsup:

Think I'll be waiting a while for the next instalment:frown:

Jan n Neil Sep 13th 2009 7:47 am

We used Halo no probs, i think there all fairly similar :thumbup:

Neil

BEVS Sep 13th 2009 8:14 am

You can play one company off against another to get a small reduction in the % rates they charge.

You can set the rate you are willing to exchange at if ou want to ..

They will have set a minimum amount of currency that you can use to exchange.

I feel that the forex co's are much of a much. Pick the one you are comfy with.

Originally Posted by Dave77
and the 'big sell' is that they give you higher exchange rates than banks would.

Yis ! I think this is true unless anyone comes along to say different.

dave77 Sep 13th 2009 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7927141)
You can play one company off against another to get a small reduction in the % rates they charge.

I like the sound of this!! ;)

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring that so many of you have used this method as opposed to banks. Do you know if they give advice on how the exchange rates are likely to change.. (obviously without the benefit of a crystal ball!)

MrCFD Sep 13th 2009 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 7927752)
I like the sound of this!! ;)

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring that so many of you have used this method as opposed to banks. Do you know if they give advice on how the exchange rates are likely to change.. (obviously without the benefit of a crystal ball!)

They all should give advice. Whether you believe them is another thing. Definitely negotiate on the spread and commission. They are not recommending a trade to you, so really there is zero risk on their part. You should therefore get execution only rates.

greghal Sep 14th 2009 7:31 am

none of them can give you advice, they arent regulated to do so. They can only let yuo know what is happening in the market

chocolate cake Sep 14th 2009 8:38 am

I've used HiFx and was impressed with their service, rate and charges were much better than I was quoted from a bank. It's easy to set up an account.

wotif Sep 16th 2009 2:25 am

I use Hifx for their great website - re market watch giving you live quotes/charts

But NZforex were better re communications and 24 hr 'click of a mouse'
deals, used them a few times with no problems. Much better rates than the banks.

silvo

sr71 Sep 16th 2009 3:14 am

KVB Kunlun - beats them all.