Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hibiscus Coast or Titirangi ????

Hibiscus Coast or Titirangi ????

Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Eric the King is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hibiscus Coast or Titirangi ????

Hi, we have been in NZ for nearly 4 years now with 2 little ones, a 3 year old and 1 year old... We live in Hamilton, but are seeking to relocate to Auckland this year... Missus will be a housewife, and I'll be based out of the CBD with my work, and we don't really fancy being too near the city nor me having the worst commute in the world !!

We have thought of somewhere like Gulf Harbour/Manly/Stanmore bay etc on the Hibiscus coast as we like it there + I can get the ferry top CBD for work... However, we have heard also Titirangi is a good area....

Any views / thought / suggestions / ideas from forum members ??!! Thanks !!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hibiscus Coast or Titirangi ????

I'm on the hibiscus coast and the commute into the CBD is horrific, worse than anything I had to sit through in blighty
trying to cross the bridge is a bloody nightmare. I believe the ferry takes around 45-50 mins but have never used it.
Hibiscus coast is full of retirees and old folk but is still a nice area to live, houses at gulf harbour are affordable.
Have only been to Titirangi once, looked ok. I did notice more islanders around but I was visiting an islander mate
so not necessarily a bad thing
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eric The King (please tell me your not a Man Utd fan!!!! ) & welcome to our cosy NZ expats forum.

We live in Gulf Harbour & have done for very nearly 5 years now. We are quite settled here (OH is very settled here TBH). OH works in the CBD & either drives in or goes via ferry. The ferry takes 50mins & leaves at 0700hrs & 0730 hrs mon-fri. I can't remember the times it comes back exactly, one at approximately 1630hrs & the last one at 1730hrs. If the weather is too rough then they put a bus on to replace the ferry.

More details are available from www.360discovery.co.nz.

A number of our friends now get the bus from Gulf Harbour/Manly/Stanmore Bay etc. This seems to be a bit more flexible & cheaper than the ferry. They've got quite a community going on there from the photos I've seen. How the guy dressed up as a turkey managed to fit on the bus, I'll never know .

OH has a parking space at work so driving in is a good option for him. He usually leaves home at approx 6am & it'll take him 40mins. It's a lot better when the kids are off school he finds. The trip in can be horrendous if you leave much later than that.

We like living on the Peninsula, there are lots of great beaches, Shakespear Regional Park. Some good Thai restaurants around, a decent Indian in Manly. There's a quiz on a Wednesday night in Gulf Harbour (we won last week ) & we have quite a good social life.

We did think of Titirangi as an option but the OH poo-pooed it as an option as he felt the drive from there would be a pain.
Titirangites might well disagree with him
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Eric the King is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Justcol and vitalstatistix for the replies... Yes, i am a 'red', from Mcr hence the moniker !! Appreciate the advice on the commute... To be honest, as much as we think about Titirangi we still tend to lean towards Gulf harbour/Army Bay etc. I know a few people on the shore but the housing seems more reasonable in terms of prices on the Hibiscus coast + our 2 young boys have suffered with bronchilitis + asthma here in Hamilton 'cos of the damp and i wonder if such a bushy place as Titirangi would actually make them worse... one of our reasons for moving is to help the boys' health with the sea air an' all that...

I'm also keen to understand what the area is generally like ? We've visited a few times and like the look of it but need to think about schools, things to do with a young family, and also for the missus, she needs to build a new network of friends... any ideas, thoughts, suggestions ? Thanks !!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a man, I am Cantona.
We can always find room for another proper red.
Its anything but damp up here, not much in the way of bars though.
one out at GH one in manly and the crows nest at whangaparaoa.
plenty of poms around but there is a large older community up here
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Titirangi will be damp.

There will be no pubs there either - it's in the Waitakere and Portage Licensing Trust booze and gambling control area.

The commute into the CBD will be a nightmare too.

I can't see that it has a lot going for it but imagine it would appeal to those with a more 'alternative' approach to life.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:47 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for the HBC
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

+2 cos The crows nest is open till 1am during the week
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justcol
I am not a man, I am Cantona.
We can always find room for another proper red.
one out at GH one in manly and the crows nest at whangaparaoa.
plenty of poms around but there is a large older community up here

Where's the one in Manly? have i missed one!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killercat
Where's the one in Manly? have i missed one!
Japanese place, can't remember it's name!!!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

thats the place
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Kinji or something??? Had a few Birthday drinks so memory worse than usual!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Titirangi. My OH works in the CBD. The commute by car takes about 20 mins but OH leaves for work quite early.

I am more of the alternative type but having said that, we're going to move to the North Shore later this year or early next year; better secondary schools (our kids are 8, 5 and 1). It is damp, but the people are very friendly though :-)
Old Jan 20th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a good bus service from Orewa which take 50mins into the centre of the CBD if you pick the right one.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Kinji or something??? Had a few Birthday drinks so memory worse than usual!!!!
will be off to explore that one Sizzle is apparently changing hands too so might be better there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.