Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi from the Wirral

Hi from the Wirral

Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi from the Wirral

thumbup:
Hi folks. Thought i would get myself registered on this site as i am about to start the ball rolling and submit applications. Not saying in any way that NZ is second best but we were hoping to go to OZ to be with friends but just been knocked back, well, advised not to apply to save losing a lot of money.
As it is, we have friends recently emigrated to NZ so we will try and join them.
My name is Mal, the OH is Colette and the tiny terror is 6 year old Thomas. I am a copper due to retire in June next year at 51 years of age. The OH is 42 and works for the NHS as a data clerk. Thomas the Tornado is a pest and works hard at winding me up:curse:.
I am a qualified painte and decorator and hoping to apply under a skills basis. The OH is going to college for the next 12 months to get a qualification on the list as well.
I will keep you up to date when i start things. Just wanted to introduce myself.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:44 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Hi from the Wirral

Kia ora Mal:

Yeah, at your advanced age you'd be certainly turned down by Aussie. New Zealand isn't as hung up about a few gray hairs. Last year at the age of 49 I got my PR approved.

Good luck with your immigration to New Zealand plans.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by malcoltom
thumbup:
Hi folks. Thought i would get myself registered on this site as i am about to start the ball rolling and submit applications. Not saying in any way that NZ is second best but we were hoping to go to OZ to be with friends but just been knocked back, well, advised not to apply to save losing a lot of money.
As it is, we have friends recently emigrated to NZ so we will try and join them.
My name is Mal, the OH is Colette and the tiny terror is 6 year old Thomas. I am a copper due to retire in June next year at 51 years of age. The OH is 42 and works for the NHS as a data clerk. Thomas the Tornado is a pest and works hard at winding me up:curse:.
I am a qualified painte and decorator and hoping to apply under a skills basis. The OH is going to college for the next 12 months to get a qualification on the list as well.
I will keep you up to date when i start things. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Welcome Mal!
NZ isnt a bad second option...in fact in my opinion it is better!
Good luck with the applications....I am from the Wirral originally myself, and soon to be based in Auckland with my Kiwi OH!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

G'Day to you and welcome to this board. Hope you have lotsa fun posting to it.

I am a copper due to retire in June next year at 51 years of age
Last year at the age of 49 I got my PR approved
Pah! You lot are just spring chickens . Try being 52 & 3/4

I arrived in NZ just a week before my 50th birthday.

Now then MalColTom. I read in your post that you are thinking of applying under skilled migrant category. HHmmm.
I couldn't find 'painter' under either the immediate or long-term shortages lists. Is it there?

What skill is your youthful OH re-training in & what part of New Zealand do you fancy? I'm dead nosey me.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

HI Malcoltom.........................good luck on your new adventure............We (me,hubby 2 kids hoped to go to sunshine coast but to no avail (not got skills required). But since someone suggested trying NZ ...........................not joking........................... out of everyone we know personally and friends of friends they all rate NZ above OZ..........................so lets hope they are right....................cause we want to be out for Nov. I was policewoman for 10 yrs in Strathclyde and had to leave due to pelvis injury. hope everything works out for you all.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:26 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

thumbup:
Welcome to the site: my husband found this well after we had made the decision to move. In fact, he had already posted the EOI. We found it to so very useful, wished we had found it months before we did. If there is anything we (the BE posters) can help you with, drop it in here and see what pops up.
I wish you the same joy that we have found in our move here,
Karen B
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your kind replies. Ref some of your questions:- We dont know where we are hoping to go and dont really care as long as its there! Life long friends emigrated last year but i dont know the name of the place they have gone but will soon.
The OH works in the IT at a large Doctors surgery and is a whizz on the sytems but they hold no mainstream qualifications as the NHS systems are for NHS only. She will try anything so she deciding which one off the wanted skills list to go for. I said she would look good on a building site showing a builders bum but she wont have it!!
As the age limit is higher, i may try for something else but i was sure i saw painting and decorating on the list. I have also just found out i can gain an NVQ 3 in floor and wall tiling as i have done that part time for over 15 years. Not for payment you understand. All in the name of gaining experience!!
Someone mentioned that the Police are going to do a new UK recruitment drive soon so i was wondering whether i would be able to apply for that. It would do for a couple of years.
Anyway, we will just have to wait and see. I did a brief on line assessment and got 95 points just on our details so i'm sure one of the immigration consultancy companies would be able to find extra points somewhere.
A company called Malcolm Pacific have been strongly recommended to use. Does anyone have any knowledge of them or any others to recommend.
I've gone on long enough.
Speak soon
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:02 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Before you lay out the cash for a consultant you should ask immigration questions here. The forms are not particularly difficult. Plenty of people here on the boards have been through the process and would be happy to lend some of their experience to help you on your way.

At any rate -- all the best and good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree with HappyNZ

There is no need for you to spend shed loads of money on a migrant consultancy yet. If you find yourself with extra problems later, then fair enough.

Meanwhile , anything you might ask a consultant will probably be able to be answered for you here - for free.

As you are a spring chicken at 51 you have about 4 years left to make the move. How many years are you looking at before you come ?

I still cannot see painter or decorator anywhere on either the NZIS long term shortage list or the NZIS immediate shortage list . Perhaps I missed it though.

The link to the lists is found to the right of THIS NZIS PAGE under toolbox. One can search the lists and download as a PDF

A flooring tradesman is on the NZIS immediate shortage list. You need to aim for an NVQ which would be seen by NZQA [New Zealand Qualification Authority] as being their level 4.
...amended here.......make that a level 3 for this:-
Flooring (including Fine Sanding & Applied Finishing, Carpet Installation, Resilient Flooring Installation, Flooring Substrate Preparation, Timber Flooring Installation)
For immigration purposes if you have a skill on the long-term shortage list then that is easier [ in theory] for you to gain PR - permanent residency- than if the skill is on the immediate shortage list.

They do have certain criteria when it comes to assessing an overseas skill or trade. That includes the standard of the qualification and work experience.

Many find that they also need an NZ job offer to gain more points for their application. We needed to do that, despite my husband being a plumber, so we came out on a reccy precisely to find a job.

Once a job offer is found for those all important points , it may be that one needs to arrive in NZ sooner rather than later. Many folk - ourselves included - elect to also apply for a work visa and we initially come to NZ on that to live and work. We then apply for PR later.

For those that have skills which are on the Immediate Shortages List they find that they are not offered PR straight away. Rather, they may be offered WTR Work to Residence so there is a delay in them becoming Permanent Residents but it doesn't stop them living and working in NZ until that time.

As you both are looking at whatoverseas UK skills you might gain to help with your PR application,, I would suggest that you take a look through the long-term shortage list on the NZIS site first. when doing this , please remember that work experience also counts when NZQA are assessing your overseas qualifications.

Hope that's not all too much information for you . It's just really to get you started and in the right direction.

I'm sure many people can come in behind this post to help you further and to correct anything that I may have got wrong or left out.

That's something of what this board is about - helping each other through thick and thin.

Look forward to seeing you post a gazzillion questions before you stick in an application.

............ just read that you are a retired police chap and exploring this option . As good an option as any towards PR.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 15th 2007 at 11:49 pm. Reason: to add a bit & also amend
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your kind replies. Ref some of your questions:- We dont know where we are hoping to go and dont really care as long as its there! Life long friends emigrated last year but i dont know the name of the place they have gone but will soon.
The OH works in the IT at a large Doctors surgery and is a whizz on the sytems but they hold no mainstream qualifications as the NHS systems are for NHS only. She will try anything so she deciding which one off the wanted skills list to go for. I said she would look good on a building site showing a builders bum but she wont have it!!
As the age limit is higher, i may try for something else but i was sure i saw painting and decorating on the list. I have also just found out i can gain an NVQ 3 in floor and wall tiling as i have done that part time for over 15 years. Not for payment you understand. All in the name of gaining experience!!
Someone mentioned that the Police are going to do a new UK recruitment drive soon so i was wondering whether i would be able to apply for that. It would do for a couple of years.
Anyway, we will just have to wait and see. I did a brief on line assessment and got 95 points just on our details so i'm sure one of the immigration consultancy companies would be able to find extra points somewhere.
A company called Malcolm Pacific have been strongly recommended to use. Does anyone have any knowledge of them or any others to recommend.
I've gone on long enough.
Speak soon

It depends how quickly you want to get your visa in. I have used Malcolm Pacific...and so far have found them extremely useful and efficient and ensured that I have all information in my package to send to the NZIS. Let me know if you need more info....send me an IM.