Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi from Whitstable

Hi from Whitstable

Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hi from Whitstable

Hi

just to introduce myself, I work at the Unviersity of Kent as an e-Learning Adviser, which means I go out and advise colleges and Unis in the South east of England on issues related to learning technology and learning strategies - e-Learning for short

Along with my wife and two kids (7 and 4) we are looking to give New Zealand a try. A few basics and maybe some advice from those of you further down the line than me would be great!

So far
I have enough points to register an expression of interest to apply as a skilled migrant
I am trying to get work to agree to let me go over on a secondment of some sort
Would like to try it for a year, renting out the house here
Will need to put the kids in school of course
Have started applying for jobs to test the waters, I am told there is a decent demand for what I do in NZ
My wife has lived out there before so not such a culture shock expected - for her at least!

A few questions
Unsure as to go for the skilled migrant route or apply for Work to Residence
Anybody successfully gone over there to work in education?
Any teachers, support staff out there who know the jobs market?

would love to hear from people

regards

Andy
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:04 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Hi from Whitstable

I would suggest you go via the work permit route. Then. if you like it well enough, you can go ahead and submit your EOI here in New Zealand. As a work permit holder your children will automatically get student permits.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

As in work to residence visa? That's useful to know, thanks Happy
I have a couple of job applications underway, so not sure to go for the application now or wait and see what kind of interest they show
Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:23 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by turkeys
As in work to residence visa? That's useful to know, thanks Happy
I have a couple of job applications underway, so not sure to go for the application now or wait and see what kind of interest they show
If you go the two year work-to-residence path you will need to find an employer who will pay you NZ$50,000 per year for a forty hour week. After that two year period you will likely be granted permanent residency. Alternatively, if you find it difficult to find an employer in your field willing to pay that amount, don't despair. You can still work here on a work permit, but the employer has to either have approval in principle already giving him/her the right to hire you straightaway or the employer has to show that a reasonable effort has been made to hire a Kiwi but nobody suitable could be found.

If you do get the job you can apply for a temporary work permit (one year is good if you want to avoid getting police certs and medicals right away). If you wish to extend your work permits you will need to get police certs and medicals. At that stage you might as well go whole hog and file for permanent residency. You can file for permanent residency on the basis of your New Zealand employment (the work must be considered skilled and you need to have the experience and skills to back up your application).

Good luck. Summer is just around the corner and it's a grand time to be in New Zealand.

Old Sep 8th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Hello - have a look at this for the individual websites which all have a jobs page.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...de/default.htm

Good luck
Alison
Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Happy and LittleAl

I see your thread post in a thread about the merits of WP vs PR I think I am inclined to apply for a work permit. Have applied to a couple of 1 year posts as Instructional designers - a term i'd never heard of, but a new way of saying teacher / trainer I suppose

Thanks fo the uni link Alison. The jobs I would hope to get are likely to cross most universities as there is a growing demand that tutors use learning technologies / e-learning in their teaching and unis are developing advisory posts to help facilitate this. At least that's the case in UK and I am told it is similar in NZ too. Massey University I have heard has a good reputation in this area

Another question, while I'm here, does anybody know offhand if the NZ embassy provide an advisory service, so that I could call in and speak to someone about details of specific visas?

Cheers

Andy
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

cheers again, just applied for a job at Massey!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:11 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site Andy!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Maz

missed your message with all the various threads I have my eyes on!

Andy