British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hi from Oxfordshire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-oxfordshire-682862/)

MrsCheeks Aug 26th 2010 1:03 pm

Hi from Oxfordshire

Hi everyone.

I am Vik and husband and self are starting the long road towards emigrating (fingers crossed) to New Zealand in 2012. Currently husband is in the RAF and his 22 year point hits in Jan 2012, so now is the time to start looking to the future and making plans for what we (especially husband) will do outside the military.

We have 3 kids - eldest is 16 and just taken her GCSE exams. She starts college in September. Our middle one is just approaching 15 and he starts Year 10 and his 2 yrs build up to GCSE's this September. We want to be able to plan our move just after his exams so he finishes school properly hence the latter half of 2012 is the goal we are aiming for to be in NZ. Our youngest, 10 yrs old, doesnt start secondary school until September 2011 so a move a year later wont affect him as much as one half way through finals.

Look forward to chatting to you all and gaining valuable advice.

Vik

charlcote Sep 25th 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Hi from Oxfordshire

Originally Posted by MrsCheeks (Post 8804857)
Hi everyone.

I am Vik and husband and self are starting the long road towards emigrating (fingers crossed) to New Zealand in 2012. Currently husband is in the RAF and his 22 year point hits in Jan 2012, so now is the time to start looking to the future and making plans for what we (especially husband) will do outside the military.

We have 3 kids - eldest is 16 and just taken her GCSE exams. She starts college in September. Our middle one is just approaching 15 and he starts Year 10 and his 2 yrs build up to GCSE's this September. We want to be able to plan our move just after his exams so he finishes school properly hence the latter half of 2012 is the goal we are aiming for to be in NZ. Our youngest, 10 yrs old, doesnt start secondary school until September 2011 so a move a year later wont affect him as much as one half way through finals.

Look forward to chatting to you all and gaining valuable advice.

Vik

Hi Vik
Hope it all goes well for you.
Don't know if you are aware that the school year starts in January here - and there is an 'intermediate' school system, where at 11 and 12 they are between primary and secondary schools.
There are some great schools - and if you are thinking of private, at 1/2 the price of the UK!
Charlie

MrsCheeks Sep 25th 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info Charlie, I thought it might be that their new year started in Jan.

We'd probably be looking straight away for High School for the youngest as he would be 12 and a half by the time we move, at least.

Going to our first expo on NZ in 2 weeks, will be an interesting day getting a lot more first hand info from various quarters. Will make the dream seem much more real I think when we take that first step towards applying :)

Dewb09 Oct 4th 2010 12:10 am

Hello & welcome to the site :thumbsup: good luck with all your plans to move over :fingerscrossed:

Enjoy the expo but anything you really want to know just ask away on here :thumbup:

Dewb