Hi - newbie

Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:22 am
Just Joined

HEN2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi - newbie

Hi all.
Just saying hello and introduce myself.
I am about to be made a job offer in Hawkes Bay but after all the fuss I made about wanting to move from UK to NZ the reality is very scary and now I am having second thoughts. My buddy just emigrated to Auckland last month and is quite negative. Some threads here have struck a similar note in my head.
Anyways, I will keep looking in here and keep researching and hopefully my eureka moment will happen. 😎
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi - newbie

Hi Hen and welcome to our little but of BE.

Your friends experience is going to be different from everyone else. Firstly you are not going to the same area so possibly won't have the same problems they may be having, but then you might get some that they don't get.
If you are able to come and experience a new way of living and have the support to make that happen and if it all turns to custard the support to get out then I say why not, you will be always saying, what if? if you don't and that may frustrate you more than making a final decision not to have a go.

As long as you have researched as much as possible, realise this is not mini UK and things here are done differently. You are coming to a volcanic island created and shaped by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and there are still active volcano's and you must of read about the recent earthquakes.

Work practices are different, not always good and not always bad just different just be prepared that how you worked in the UK may not be how you work here despite it possibly being the same job.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HEN2017
Just saying hello and introduce myself.
Hello!
Originally Posted by HEN2017
Anyways, I will keep looking in here and keep researching and hopefully my eureka moment will happen. � ����
Good luck with that. Some people love it here and think the move is the best thing they could ever have done. Other people hate it. I can understand both points of view.

This country is not Britain with better weather even though it can look like that at first. It is a different country with a different culture and the people have different attitudes to those you might be used to. I think it is hoping for a lot to find the answer among the comments left by random strangers on an internet forum whose motives you cannot know.

I would suggest that if you are young enough there is nothing wrong with trying it out as an extended 'overseas experience' working-holiday (like many of the young people here go overseas to do), but always have an exit-plan.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

I woke at three this morning in sheer panic about what we are about to do.
It's a huge step for us as a family selling up here and going all that way. 2 kid 3 dogs and a houseful of stuff. But we'd regret not trying.

If I'd have had the opportunity when I was young and carefree I'd have snapped your hand off!

Take forums with a pinch of salt, everyone of us is different, the areas people live are different. What you want out of life will change your perspective. Some people go and jump over the pond.

What's worrying you most? Write it down, fors and against. And don't forget, as long as you have a flight out you can always come home and there's certainly no shame in that.

Make some friends on here and other places so you have some support and advice.

Good luck x
Old Nov 21st 2016, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Jay30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive my bluntness, but I constantly read on this forum that people like me in the process of moving over should really lower our expectations and that it probably won't be what we are expecting (although who can know what one's expectations are).

However my issues is, no one seems to provide any specific reasons or examples to at least try and illustrate this!

EDIT; Besides high property prices and traffic in Auckland, which not only would I expect anyway, but am perfectly accepting of this for the benefits and conveniences of living in/near a major city (the assumption seems to be that it's not possible someone could be).

Last edited by Jay30; Nov 21st 2016 at 11:01 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Eh? Not sure I understand some of the post but here goes.

If one is going to Auckland then check out real estate prices and areas. That is very important. It is shocking up there right now. Of course if one is earning plenty of spondoodles $ then it will be fine.

If one isn't going to Auckland then don't do that.

When considering a move across the world to NZ,understand that upping sticks to return to the UK, if it isn't a good fit for you, is not as easy as it sounds at all. if you think this could be you, keep your UK house and don't sever all ties with UK employers.

Understand that you will be two long haul flights plus away from family that remain in the UK/Europe. Flight prices are far better at the moment but you ain't going to be popping back without a great deal of expense.

DO YOUR SUMS - That means take your know New Zealand net income and then make a list of possible cost of living expenses per New Zealand. Factor in sudden costs and rainy day needs. Be hard with this .

Weather is weather in New Zealand. Each area is different from the next and is not necessarily 'better' weather than the UK/Europe. It is simply different.

Quakes ! They happen.

New Zealand is not the UK dressed up with less people and more scenery. It is its own place with its own ways of being. It is very firm about that. You are coming to a 'foreign' country where the people are different.

If you are young enough, come over on a Working Holiday Visa. It is a great way to get a bit of a feel over a year or two.

Lastly. Who can know what someone's expectations of a new NZ life are unless they write them in a post. Just like the UK , much could depend on the area and also the net wage. It also depends on what one enjoys in life & how many work hours impinge on free time. All that sort of stuff.

How do I know this? I've been here over 12 years.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:28 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay30
Forgive my bluntness, but I constantly read on this forum that people like me in the process of moving over should really lower our expectations and that it probably won't be what we are expecting (although who can know what one's expectations are).

However my issues is, no one seems to provide any specific reasons or examples to at least try and illustrate this!

think you need to read a bit more of the forum as I know I have given my two cents worth.

The houses are different, do not come standard with double glazing or heating unless you buy something that is less than 5years old or has been upgraded. The weather is more extreme in every aspect, wind, rain, sun and everything in between. The "she'll be right" attitude covers every aspect of day to day living, and for someone who is used to policies and procedures this is very frustrating. I could go on but won't. As I say lots have given their experiences, so more reading may be worth while.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Nov 22nd 2016 at 1:37 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

For anyone interested in Hottoddys ideas and views on working and settling in New Zealand, you will find that conversation in this other thread.
The posts are moved to keep this thread clear for the OP who is actually thinking about a move to NZ and has a job offer in the pipeline.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you will find the weather in Hawkes Bay more extreme at all. The temperature will be more constant and it will be sunnier than where ever you are coming from in the UK. Nor will you get the same windy stuff they get in Wellington. The expectation thing is a matter of opinion and taste. There are many, although not necessarily on here, who reckon NZ has more than met expectations. Been to Napier recently. Not the best of beaches. A bit pebbly. But its not all doom and gloom. I actually have an upbeat feeling about NZ at the moment. But I appreciate how difficult the immigration experience can be.. I dont think anyone can predict what category you will fall into. Hope you will like your journey a bit more once it gets under way.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

What thing to know is that Napier is unique even within NZ. The city was rebuilt after an earthquake in the 1930s. As a result the buildings are art deco style and gives the city its own character. Although I guess this is the least you are thinking about at this point.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Eh? Not sure I understand some of the post but here goes.

If one is going to Auckland then check out real estate prices and areas. That is very important. It is shocking up there right now. Of course if one is earning plenty of spondoodles $ then it will be fine.

If one isn't going to Auckland then don't do that.

When considering a move across the world to NZ,understand that upping sticks to return to the UK, if it isn't a good fit for you, is not as easy as it sounds at all. if you think this could be you, keep your UK house and don't sever all ties with UK employers.

Understand that you will be two long haul flights plus away from family that remain in the UK/Europe. Flight prices are far better at the moment but you ain't going to be popping back without a great deal of expense.

DO YOUR SUMS - That means take your know New Zealand net income and then make a list of possible cost of living expenses per New Zealand. Factor in sudden costs and rainy day needs. Be hard with this .

Weather is weather in New Zealand. Each area is different from the next and is not necessarily 'better' weather than the UK/Europe. It is simply different.

Quakes ! They happen.

New Zealand is not the UK dressed up with less people and more scenery. It is its own place with its own ways of being. It is very firm about that. You are coming to a 'foreign' country where the people are different.

If you are young enough, come over on a Working Holiday Visa. It is a great way to get a bit of a feel over a year or two.

Lastly. Who can know what someone's expectations of a new NZ life are unless they write them in a post. Just like the UK , much could depend on the area and also the net wage. It also depends on what one enjoys in life & how many work hours impinge on free time. All that sort of stuff.

How do I know this? I've been here over 12 years.

Far out that is a good post. In a nutshell.
I know.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by garethwm
Been to Napier recently. Not the best of beaches. A bit pebbly.
Yes, you definitely can't swim at Napier as the beach is dangerous.

The nearest swimming beach is at Waimarama, quite a distance away.

Climate wise, you won't find a better spot