British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HI. New and sooo lost. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-new-sooo-lost-596256/)

keeny Mar 8th 2009 10:04 pm

HI. New and sooo lost.

Hi everyone. joined the site on hearing of it from another member (soontobethin) who I met with last week. We, thats me Sarah & husband Ian, are starting the process of moving to Hamilton / Huntly, Ian is a coal miner. He has firm job offer in place, we have had the immigration medical and waiting on results coming back, he has his police check back mine isnt back yet hopefully just still on its way in the post! So should be submitting the visa forms later this week. I am dreading completing the forms, Im bound to get them wrong :unsure: the company are hoping we'll be out there by end of April, but I am more and more convinced this isnt going to happen by then, we still have our house to sell and cant really afford not to sell it, and then, the biggy - our first child is due to arrive early July - im so worried its not going to happen before then and we'll end up staying here to have the baby then travelling over with new baby, the logisitics of it all are stressing the hell out of me. trying to keep calm for sake of the baby but its not easy! Are there any other members that have made this move when pregnant or with a new baby?

Natalie1303 Mar 10th 2009 1:37 pm

Re: HI. New and sooo lost.

Hi Sarah,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you! We're hoping to come out end of May / start of June - my husband Paul is a stonemason and has a job waiting for him in Auckland.
I am pregnant with our first baby and am due 21st August. We haven't sent our ITA back to immigration yet (just waiting on a few references, police checks etc coming back) and I am also panicking like mad that we're not going to do it all in time.
Sorry I'm not much help but just wanted you to know I know exactly what you're going through!!! VERY Stressful!!!

Take Care,

Natalie

keeny Mar 10th 2009 2:16 pm

hi natalie, congrats on your pregnancy! as if we havent got enough to deal with just being pregnant we have all this to contend with as well! When you say havent sent ITA back yet - whats this? sorry i dont know what it stands for.. Our immigration medical results should be back tomorrow, and hopefully my police check will have arrived in todays post, so then will be spending next couple of days completing, checking and re-checking the visa forms and send them off. Apparantly Ian's future employer has accredited status with INZ so they get dealt with in a couple of weeks.
I am really extremely worried bout not getting there in time for baby's arrival. Ian keeps saying to me to calm down, there is a way around everything and we need to just go with the flow rather than stressing out so much. What ever happens happens and we will cope. Im worried that if we leave before baby is due, we'll put all the stuff we have bought for her so far into the container, but then it wont arrive by time she comes. But then if we wait & have her here and move out after, again we'll have to make do without her belongings til the container arrives, we'd have to rent things. Which thankfully the employer will pay for til container arrives. Wouldnt be the same as having our or her own stuff but then, we'll have to make do!

BEVS Mar 11th 2009 1:46 am

Goodness me. Why haven't you two got any karma yet ? (blue boxes under your user name on the left hand side) Have some new babies in the offing karma to get you started and welcome to this little NZ forum by the way. :)

ITA = Invitation to Apply. It's one of the steps when applying for residency under the skilled migrant route.

Natalie1303 Mar 11th 2009 12:09 pm

Your Ian sounds just like my husband 'dont worry - it will all be fine' ha ha!! :rofl::rofl:
We've decided to wait until we arrive to buy most of the things for the baby (pram, cot etc) and have just been getting a few cute outfits that I couldnt resist over here!
The ITA is the immigration form that you have to send back with your medical and police checks etc.
Where abouts in the UK are you? Where are you moving to in NZ?

keeny Mar 11th 2009 2:11 pm

Oh i guess thats why i dont understand what it stood for, we are applying under work to residence policy / talent visa with accredited employer, so i dont think we have to do all the other stuff. Natalie I am starting to feel more calmer about it all now, i looked up equipment hire etc last night and also spoke to another of the couples who are going out with us with same employer, the relocaters have told them they aim to get container there in less than 6 weeks ( i was expecting it to be much more). so providing we leave early enough then theres a chance we may get our container before baby comes. If not, then hey we'll cope with rental equipment and buy what we can soon as we get there. We're from Sheffield, and are going to either Huntly or Hamilton. The mine is Huntly so depends where we feel we'd prefer to live when we get there. I know Huntly probably isnt that great but maybe we'll prefer a smaller town to the bigger Hamilton.... who knows we'll see when we get there! I am still waiting for my police check, called ACRO this morning & they say it was posted back Monday so should be arriving today. And our medical results should have been back today but the docs are saying not everything is back yet so may not be til friday :ohmy: i want to get everything sorted now!

helenlhoppy Mar 12th 2009 10:04 pm

Have some Karma.... It will all be ok, don't worry honey. x;)

Natalie1303 Mar 13th 2009 9:48 am

Hi Sarah,

well thats positive news about the shippers. I'm starting to think there's no point worrying - what will be will be i suppose!
We're from Manchester but currently living in Cumbria and will be moving to Auckland. Good Luck with everything!!! x

BEVS Mar 13th 2009 10:15 am

Halloooo.

Both myself and Helenhoppy have posted to you welcoming you.

Can you see us?

Natalie1303 Mar 13th 2009 11:22 am

Yes I'm sorry - hello and thank you very much for welcoming us xxx :) :)

Trenchfoot Mar 14th 2009 3:08 am

Originally Posted by keeny (Post 7357848)
Are there any other members that have made this move when pregnant or with a new baby?

Mrs Trench is seven months preggers. We made the move in December (arrived 18/12) so we had the whole house sale (on, off, on, off, on, off, finally bloody sold! You beauty!), pack all our belongings in to a shipping container and wave it bye-bye and then 3 months in rented accommodation whilst she was pregnant. We've even moved within NZ since arriving, so we're now on midwife no. 3.

It is 'do-able' - it's stressful - but it is 'do-able'. The earlier in the pregnancy the better I would suggest (I know with migration we are seldom the masters of our own timeframes, NZ Immigration Service usually are) as by the 3rd trimester you should be feeling like 'nesting' a little and will be running out of energy quite quickly.

Your OH is right, try not to stress and let him take the strain, it's best for you and junior.

We also have a 3-year-old (or he will be next month). Our biggest worries were how well he would adapt to the change. We need not have worried, everyone that said kids are more adaptable than adults was right.

Natalie1303 Mar 14th 2009 9:35 am

Thank you Mr Trench,

That is VERY reassuring :)

Good Luck with everthing :)

Trenchfoot Mar 14th 2009 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Natalie1303 (Post 7378142)
Thank you Mr Trench,

That is VERY reassuring :)

Good Luck with everthing :)

Hi Natalie

The key thing, if you arrive a couple of months before the birth, is having a decent 'landing pad'... i.e. somewhere to stay whilst you are finding your feet in the first few weeks (whilst you sort out a car, cellphones, renting a house etc.).

Do you know yet where your OH's job will be based? If so start doing some research on house prices/rent - www.realestate.co.nz is a useful site

If you want to find out about different areas just pop a post up on here, you are sure to get answers from a few people, they may also know the local hospital(s). You are also going to need to sort out your LMC (lead maternity carer), so 'google' the district health board that covers where you think you'll be living to see what options you have.

Cheers
Gavin