Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi from Lancashire

Hi from Lancashire

Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Dave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the rough
Default Hi from Lancashire

Hello to everyone, been reading lots of the threads re NZ, I am a serving police officer married to a nurse. We have one daughter aged 5yrs together. We are interested in moving to north of Wellington.

Dave
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:02 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Hi from Lancashire

Hi Dave,

Welcome. Your wife, being a nurse and all, could be your ticket in. Have some newbie karma.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Dave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the roughDave_S_Lancs is a jewel in the rough

Hi Happynz,

My idea is that Dave goes over and completes the police assessment test and secures an offer of employment. This just gives us some financial security for going out there. Whilst I could get a job in nursing I initally would like to stay at home with our daughter until she has settled in, she has a language disorder. Do you know if this may be a problem? I have read somewhere that if you have anything medical / social that may be a drain on the system you would have to sign a medical waiver.

Janette
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave. I am a soon to retire copper in Liverpool and looking at going on a work to residence visa. We are travelling over in August for job interviews and have a look around at rental properties. If all goes well we hope to be out there by Xmas. North Island around the Tauranga area.
Hope you make it.
Mal
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:27 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Hi from Lancashire

Hiya Dave, my husband who's a plumber two daughters age 3 and 5 and myself of course are currently going through the visa process for N.Z. We are also looking at Wellington with it being pretty central between the two islands. We all travelled over last Feb to N.Z and stayed with friends for a month, we did quite a bit of the north island. This is why we have made the decision on Welly. Have you put your "Expression of Interest" in yet? dead exciting times.

Dawn
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dawn,

We have not put our EOI in yet, I am currently looking in to going over to NZ to sit the assessment for the police. We are looking being out there in around 18 months so no rush.

Dave & Janette
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

hi dave n janette...cant help you with your ??? but wanted to say hi to another Accy lot!!! we been here 2yrs now, but still miss accy.......a bit!!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome

I'm from Blackburn used to shop in Accy religiously God I miss those shops. Been here in Auckland for 7 months now (on 25th) and love it
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:59 pm
Short & Sweet

Spawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to allSpawny67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl View Post
Hi and welcome

I'm from Blackburn used to shop in Accy religiously God I miss those shops. Been here in Auckland for 7 months now (on 25th) and love it
Hiya Michelle & Carl, We, being husband and two daughters are also moving over from the sunny side of Blackburn (Not).Is it everything you thought it would be? Going for medicals next month so suppose could be a while yet.

Dawn
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Spawny67 View Post
Hiya Michelle & Carl, We, being husband and two daughters are also moving over from the sunny side of Blackburn (Not).Is it everything you thought it would be? Going for medicals next month so suppose could be a while yet.

Dawn
Hi,

I'm moving over from Bolton to Wellington in the next six months or so.....does that mean you will talk to me or is it more a case of the local derby?! Agree with the sunny not thing - how much does it rain here?! I'm originally a southerner so its colder and wetter for me. Yuk.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_S_Lancs View Post
Hi Happynz,

I initally would like to stay at home with our daughter until she has settled in, she has a language disorder. Do you know if this may be a problem? I have read somewhere that if you have anything medical / social that may be a drain on the system you would have to sign a medical waiver.
Janette
I'm no expert but I think its more that they decide to give you a medical waiver so that you can still come and access support services like any other citizen.
Every case seems to be looked at on its own merits - basically when you go for your medical you need to present as much positive supporting documentation as possible on your daughter's diagnosis, so when it hits your Case Officer's desk, the answers to the questions they want to ask are there, if they are not, it can lead to several weeks delay.
In practice it seems it is only in cases of very high dependency that it would be a major stumbling block for instance in the case of those children who would be expected to qualify for ORSS funding. This is extra funding for learning support which is paid to the school in addition to their general rather small pot of funds for learning support.

If she copes in a mainstream school with little extra assistance then I doubt it would be an issue.....if she currently has full-time one to one learning support at school, it could throw a spanner in the works, but if this was not likely to be permanent, then maybe again it would be ok.

An email to the NZIS help section may help put your mind at rest.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:56 pm
Short & Sweet

Smile Re: Hi from Lancashire

Originally Posted by saritabear View Post
Hi,

I'm moving over from Bolton to Wellington in the next six months or so.....does that mean you will talk to me or is it more a case of the local derby?! Agree with the sunny not thing - how much does it rain here?! I'm originally a southerner so its colder and wetter for me. Yuk.
Hiya
Exciting times, Have you visited before? Have ypu got everything sorted from this end? Six months will soon come round. Will have to let me know how the move and everything goes.
Dawn
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saritabear View Post
Hi,

Nah as long as you're not from Burnley *spit* JOKE PEOPLE It can rain here too
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi saritabear,
I am also from Bolton (Blackrod) but moved over to Altham in between Blackburn and Burnley. Dave in originally from Scotland.

Janette & Dave
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly View Post
I'm no expert but I think its more that they decide to give you a medical waiver so that you can still come and access support services like any other citizen.
Every case seems to be looked at on its own merits - basically when you go for your medical you need to present as much positive supporting documentation as possible on your daughter's diagnosis, so when it hits your Case Officer's desk, the answers to the questions they want to ask are there, if they are not, it can lead to several weeks delay.
In practice it seems it is only in cases of very high dependency that it would be a major stumbling block for instance in the case of those children who would be expected to qualify for ORSS funding. This is extra funding for learning support which is paid to the school in addition to their general rather small pot of funds for learning support.

If she copes in a mainstream school with little extra assistance then I doubt it would be an issue.....if she currently has full-time one to one learning support at school, it could throw a spanner in the works, but if this was not likely to be permanent, then maybe again it would be ok.

An email to the NZIS help section may help put your mind at rest.
Hi thanks for the advice, My daughter has daily speech therapy, but I will email NZIS as you have recommended before I start the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.