Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HI - just started planning our move to new zealand

HI - just started planning our move to new zealand

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

coglan99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HI - just started planning our move to new zealand

HI everyone. me and my girlfriend have started planning out move to nz. I am a bar/restaurant manager and am worried that i wont be able to get work. any looking forward to meeting some of you and getting as much advise as possible.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:43 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HI - just started planning our move to new zealand

Originally Posted by coglan99

HI everyone. me and my girlfriend have started planning out move to nz. I am a bar/restaurant manager and am worried that i wont be able to get work. any looking forward to meeting some of you and getting as much advise as possible.
Welcome to BE! *waves* How are you planning on getting residency? I think that's the first step.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

i dunno. lol. sent off a couple of forms to goldensands migration and another ive forgotten the name of. hoping they will help me out.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:08 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

i dunno. lol. sent off a couple of forms to goldensands migration and another ive forgotten the name of. hoping they will help me out.

Hiya Colgan99 & welcome

Unless you've got loads of dosh, personally I'd steer clear of the migration companies. They don't do anything that with a bit of time and effort, you can't do yourself.

If you start reading through some of the immigration threads on here, you'll get loads of advice & tips. What you can't answer then someone around here will probably be able to help.

Also if you PM Wiz (aka Wiz &Toni) he works for a recruitment agency in Christchurch, he may be able to give you some pointers on the work front
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

thats amazing. thanks so much. any help is great but if it saves us some dosh all the better. its freezing and raining in bolton im sure your all glad to hear.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Not much different in ChCh this morning ! Good luck with your plans
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:57 pm
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

Hey there Coglan, we're also just planning ours but have a bit of a plan in place. I'm a Kiwi and hubby automatically qualifies but still need to fill out all the forms and get all the info.

If you want to know how we're getting on and what stage we're up to (like watching us as an easy/planning test case). We've got a flat (and 16 years worth of crap) to pack up or sell off, residence visa to get and flights to take... I would have said plan but we've just booked them so I'm a happy bunny.

Either reply to this or PM me if you want more info.

We're going to South Auckland (bought a house that we're letting out a few years ago, but staying with parents to start with).

Lease
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Hi, welcome and good luck. Do you know how many points you've got for EOI? We used an emigration aency and spent mega bucks - we could have done it ourselves really but got bogged down, we also weren't using this site at the time and if we had been could have probably got the info we needed easily (and for no cost!)
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:45 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Good day guys!

Have you got a handle on the immigration process and what options are open to you?

Do either of you have a degree? Which is going to help if you want to apply for residency straight off.

If the answer is no to the above, do not panic other options are........

If you are both under 31, you can apply for a one year WHV (working holiday visa), which allows you to work here for one year (check the conditions of this I am a bit out of touch).

Work permit, allows you to work in NZ for up to two years, but you are tied into one employer. You can reapply for another working visa before the old one expires (I know someone who has done this 3 times).

You will need to check if your current role as a restaurant/bar manager is considered as skilled employment here in NZ. If it is then you can apply for residency based upon a skilled migration route (any time spent working in NZ, will count in your favour).

Hope that is not too confusing, plenty of help available here.

Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Good day guys!

If you are both under 31, you can apply for a one year WHV (working holiday visa), which allows you to work here for one year (check the conditions of this I am a bit out of touch).
WHVs are now for two years, one of which can be working. The govt immigration website has all the info you need...Good luck.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:48 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Also if you PM Wiz (aka Wiz &Toni) he works for a recruitment agency in Christchurch, he may be able to give you some pointers on the work front
Welcome to the forum chap guys!

Kev&sara's right re me working for a recruitment firm in ChCh. I got your e-mail and have replied. You mentioned Oz though - did you mean NZ?

Mail me back and we'll see what we can do.

Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:47 am
Just Joined

yeah nz not oz. slip of the finger. its all a bit daunting at the mo. words like residency and migration dont mean to much to me. what i could really do with is a checklist of things i need to do. ie 1.contact someone re visa 2. find a job 3 buy a house. ect ect ect... lol i seem so naive... a lot of you guys havent used migration companies and thats great but i dont even know where to start....im off to waterstones to buy a big book!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yea Coglan.
I hope you found my post re. plumbing in NZ some sort of help mate.

I did list what you need to do and in what order.
Could you please let me know about your quals etc.

Everyone will help guide you through the process.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 23rd 2007 at 8:57 am. Reason: uumm. another edit - oops
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:54 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome. I saw a piece on TV recently where Hospitality staff were in severe shortage here in Auckland. Why don't you contact one of the hotels here in the first instance and see if they'll give you any feedback? The Stamford Plaza, the Langham ...... and if you google you'll find all the rest - I'm tired, I can't think This whole country is a tourist destination - I can't see you having a problem in getting a job.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hiya Colgan99 & welcome

Unless you've got loads of dosh, personally I'd steer clear of the migration companies. They don't do anything that with a bit of time and effort, you can't do yourself.

If you start reading through some of the immigration threads on here, you'll get loads of advice & tips. What you can't answer then someone around here will probably be able to help.

Well we didn't choose a migration agent we chose a recruitment company cos finding the job needed to get the visa was the hardest bit. I agree migration agents not needed!

Starting point look on the Immediate Skills Shortage list if you want a temporary up to 3 year visa...and sorry Beachcombers, but you don't have to stick to one employer. We are on a 3 year visa and you can change it as often as you like when you are over here...cost $60.00 to change it. You can apply for permanent residency when you are over here.

Or if you want permanent residency before leaving the uk look on the Long Term Skills Shortage List.

Deb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.