Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thread)

Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thread)

Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thr

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I did a half marathon on Sunday before you go giving her the sympathy vote ... have I mentioned my chaffing ...
Oi you I need all the sympathy I can get as I've not only got a dicky hand but I'm also home alone.

& no we don't want to know about your chaffing

Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all
Default Re: Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thr

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Thank you Louloumama, just wish I knew what to do next But something will turn up. Good luck with your adventure. I was just thinking about you yesterday & wondering if you are planning to give up your job in the UK or whether you could negotiate a career break. It would give you a safety net should you need it. Just a thought

Had to laugh at your documentation statement. You are obviously more lady-like than me as I used to say the same thing, only it wasn't blink I used
there are many things I may be described as but lady like i don't think would be one !!!!! Just not wishing to bring the tone of this forum down

I don't think it would be necessary to negotiate a career break as if things didn't work out they are so short staffed over here I don't think getting back in would be a problem . . . . hopefully.

I have a couple of options with different health boards once I get my butt into gear and complete NZ application to Midwifery Council. However me thinks maybe if I get NZ registration then I may just come out with the family and find the area that is right for us with a job rather than the job dictate the area. Then apply for Residency once job offer whilst already in NZ . . . is this totally mad capped ????? It seems that there are heaps of healthboards recruiting for midwives so I figure it shouldn't be too much of a problem...... or do you think otherwise????

Apologies all for totally hijacking this post and going off on a tangent....
Old Aug 4th 2009, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louloumama
there are many things I may be described as but lady like i don't think would be one !!!!! Just not wishing to bring the tone of this forum down

I don't think it would be necessary to negotiate a career break as if things didn't work out they are so short staffed over here I don't think getting back in would be a problem . . . . hopefully.

I have a couple of options with different health boards once I get my butt into gear and complete NZ application to Midwifery Council. However me thinks maybe if I get NZ registration then I may just come out with the family and find the area that is right for us with a job rather than the job dictate the area. Then apply for Residency once job offer whilst already in NZ . . . is this totally mad capped ????? It seems that there are heaps of healthboards recruiting for midwives so I figure it shouldn't be too much of a problem...... or do you think otherwise????

Apologies all for totally hijacking this post and going off on a tangent....
I think you would be able to get PR without a job offer TBH, but others may put me right on that. I think you are right to find the right place to work for you. We were limited to Auckland due to OH's job, which is fine & I like it up here. I was offered a job at North Shore Hospital before coming out here but told them I wanted to come & look around it first. I'm glad I did because within 5mins of looking round, I knew it didn't 'feel' right for me.
There a re lots of midwifery jobs going around the country, so getting a job shouldn't be a problem.

The advantage of a career break will mean that you don't have to apply for a job & go through the rigmarole of police checks etc. again. Which most places will want even though you've worked for them before!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

However me thinks maybe if I get NZ registration then I may just come out with the family and find the area that is right for us with a job rather than the job dictate the area. Then apply for Residency once job offer whilst already in NZ - is this totally mad capped ?
It pays to be a wee bit mad.

Sounds OK to me . Have you checked out your points at all, coz as Vital Big Sticks says, you may be able to apply for PR through the SMC without a job offer in situ.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:16 pm
`

Originally Posted by love30stm
The difference with my daughter is she wanted to go! shes just a pain in the ass...lol, and well she could have been the same back in England with some problem or another, but I have told her if she wants to go back in the future she can, that's all I can do, she will be 16 in august, and we came here when she was 13, but I know lots of girls and boys her age who have settled shes just stubborn, yours will be ok im sure. I dont know anyone else who has a difficult teenager as mine!
I do. My friends are having huge difficulties with their eldest son. They have been here 5 year now. He is way off the rails which is very sad to see & is messing up his young life bigtime.
Their other son is perfectly OK though & doing well..
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:09 am
Just Joined

PamDH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
I do. My friends are having huge difficulties with their eldest son. They have been here 5 year now. He is way off the rails which is very sad to see & is messing up his young life bigtime.
I would say no I have no regrets but i am also a person who moves forwards and never looks back.
Life is different to the UK so examining the reasons for leaving will be helpful in deciding whether you would have any regrets or not.
I do suggest coming over and doing a 'tour' of the country before settling in one place and talk to plenty of midwives from different parts of the country before deciding where to settle.
Look to decide what sort of climate you would like and what sort of work you want to do in the midwifery field. Is it primary LMC caseloading on call 24/7 or is it teriary unit or secondary care unit core work you are looking for.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

It pays to be a wee bit mad.

Sounds OK to me . Have you checked out your points at all, coz as Vital Big Sticks says, you may be able to apply for PR through the SMC without a job offer in situ.
Hi BEVS - yes have done the points checking. Without a job offer I am only getting 85 points as i can't claim points for work experience as have only one year post grad experience Unless they may consider that the work experience gained as part of my 3 year training can be counted then I would be OK and will push my points up to 100 and enough to submit EOI.

So by getting a job offer (and esp. outside Auckland) I get 140 points and automatic selection !!!!! which is fab but will mean the job offer dictates the area we live.

PAMDH - hi ... yes we have been to NZ on a reccie and i did some elective work up in Northland and BOP so we like these areas but also thinking poss Orewa North Shore.......... decisions decisions !!!!

Thanks for your suggestions all ...

Ps BEVS what is SMC????
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:44 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ps BEVS what is SMC????
Skilled Migrant Category.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

doh ......

well .... it was early .... i had only just gotten up !!!!! Tks Am Loolah

xx
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough

Hi guys .... sorry to hijack this thread a bit...... but question for Vitalstatistix as i am very interested in your post . I am a midwife here in the UK currently but filling out NZ registration forms at the mo to do the jump hopefully end of this year. Can you tell more about your experience working within maternity in NZ, surely it can't be worse than the NHS is it ......... !!!!

any insight is very much welcomed ....
both my OH and i are nurses hoping to move next year what is it like working in NZ compared to the NHS
would love any info
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

trisha nolan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PamDH
I would say no I have no regrets but i am also a person who moves forwards and never looks back.
Life is different to the UK so examining the reasons for leaving will be helpful in deciding whether you would have any regrets or not.
I do suggest coming over and doing a 'tour' of the country before settling in one place and talk to plenty of midwives from different parts of the country before deciding where to settle.
Look to decide what sort of climate you would like and what sort of work you want to do in the midwifery field. Is it primary LMC caseloading on call 24/7 or is it teriary unit or secondary care unit core work you are looking for.
umm its all too much.. joke. what part do you live on
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

trisha nolan is an unknown quantity at this point

O thats very sad to hear, do you think it was moving that changed? is it areas that you think ?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Regrets?! too many to mention, wish I'd never done it. Only a few hours to go now before my plane leaves then I'm out of here for good.

Why DO we do this to ourselves? home isn't that bad a place. So looking forward to getting back to civilisation!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:19 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiri
Only a few hours to go now before my plane leaves then I'm out of here for good.
I'd be in the bar celebrating if it's that much of a relief for you instead of on the internet!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:35 am
`

Originally Posted by tiri
Regrets?! too many to mention, wish I'd never done it. Only a few hours to go now before my plane leaves then I'm out of here for good.
OK . All the very best for your journey. I wish you well.

Have a safe trip and don;t forget that BE has the Moving Back to the UK forum where you can find others that wished to return to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.