Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thread)

Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thread)

Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

trisha nolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thread)

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
some one told me this was being banished this october sometime, though not sure if it was rumour or truth

one thing i would change about NZ is .....
honestly cant think of anything, driving was worse in the uk i think and nothing else effects me as a person

oh i have thought of one thing, they cant build my house over night lol
Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets????

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 1st 2009 at 2:38 am. Reason: I have moved the above post into a thread of its own as it is a first post by a new user.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thr

Originally Posted by trisha nolan
No, not a single one. Whilst we have had our fair share of probs in over 4 years in NZ..(who hasn't..shit happens) not one single regret.

NB Apart from where I invested our life savings..as I said shit 'appens.

Oh, for hindsight!!!!

For us life could not get any better, Quite honestly a lottery win would not improve it much..simply because for the first time in my life I have found contentment.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi I am looking to moving to new zealand do you have any regrets(moved to new thr

Originally Posted by Genesis
No, not a single one. Whilst we have had our fair share of probs in over 4 years in NZ..(who hasn't..shit happens) not one single regret.

Oh, for hindsight!!!!

For us life could not get any better, Quite honestly a lottery win would not improve it much..simply because for the first time in my life I have found contentment.
o thats lovely, makes me want to go now, im sorry things hve been shit for you, i hope they get better. what part do you live, were did you move from, if you dont mind me asking
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

On the whole I love NZ but wish the maternity system was like the NHS. I was a midwife here until the end of March. Everything I have ever read in any UK journals makes NZ midwifery sound marvellous. It's not. Please think very carefully before making the leap.

Funnily enough, I was just saying to my OH today, whilst lamenting my lack of earning capacity at present. At least I don't come home every day saying " You wouldn't believe what I saw/happened today, only....."
I wish I was on my own in this but I know other British-trained m/w's who say exactly the same thing!
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:00 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, for hindsight!!!!

Genesis, your posts are inspirational, I really love reading them. I hope if we get to live in NZ that we will love it as much as you do
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:08 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum trisha! We're looking forward to moving to New Zealand too. I've learnt a lot here on these forums I highly recommend Irish Eye's story, very informative and a highly addictive read!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

o thats lovely, makes me want to go now, im sorry things hve been shit for you, i hope they get better. what part do you live, were did you move from, if you dont mind me asking
Things are fine now..the loss of $140k (last July) was a bit to take..especially when there was 'poor play' involved in the loss. Still what really matters is health, aye? We live in Palmerston North, much derided by many but for us life is utterly wonderful. Kate has the nursing career role of her dreams..district nurse in palliative care. My 3, very young, awesome kids are having the very best upbringing within NZ that we could give them...re education, general health and welfare available, the neighbourhood where they live, etc, etc.

We escaped from Northampton April 2005, the BBC might do a film about it as we simply booked flights over the internet, drove to the airport and flew out of the country. Quite daring, aye?

We lived in an area bedeviled by crime and huge antisocial behaviour. Relative to that where we live now is our utopia. Pretty much all by luck as Manuel said "I know nothing" and indeed we knew no one or diddly squat about Palmerston North. We did research some but I guess you only learn and truly discover a place by living, eating it and breathing it!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Aug 3rd 2009 at 4:03 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice

We arrived in New Plymouth 3 weeks ago and WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I feel like I have come home.

I know it has only been a short time since we arrived but I cannot think of any reason that would make to go back to live in the UK now.

It is winter here and the house gets cold as central heating in not a thing that is understood in NZ. Even so I still have no hesitation saying I would not return to the uk and I loved my central heating and double glazing.

So if anyone was considering coming here I would say JUST DO IT!!
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by deb_steve
We arrived in New Plymouth 3 weeks ago and WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I feel like I have come home.

I know it has only been a short time since we arrived but I cannot think of any reason that would make to go back to live in the UK now.

It is winter here and the house gets cold as central heating in not a thing that is understood in NZ. Even so I still have no hesitation saying I would not return to the uk and I loved my central heating and double glazing.

So if anyone was considering coming here I would say JUST DO IT!!
We simply had CH and double glazing retro fitted. Look at www.savonna.co.nz for the CH and your YPs for dub glazing. Life is so much better with them both. AND they were affordable.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

deb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nicedeb_steve is just really nice

We simply had CH and double glazing retro fitted. Look at www.savonna.co.nz for the CH and your YPs for dub glazing. Life is so much better with them both. AND they were affordable.
Thanks for that, very interesting!

We have just bought a house and heating is definately the first priority.

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
On the whole I love NZ but wish the maternity system was like the NHS. I was a midwife here until the end of March. Everything I have ever read in any UK journals makes NZ midwifery sound marvellous. It's not. Please think very carefully before making the leap.

Funnily enough, I was just saying to my OH today, whilst lamenting my lack of earning capacity at present. At least I don't come home every day saying " You wouldn't believe what I saw/happened today, only....."
I wish I was on my own in this but I know other British-trained m/w's who say exactly the same thing!

Hi guys .... sorry to hijack this thread a bit...... but question for Vitalstatistix as i am very interested in your post . I am a midwife here in the UK currently but filling out NZ registration forms at the mo to do the jump hopefully end of this year. Can you tell more about your experience working within maternity in NZ, surely it can't be worse than the NHS is it ......... !!!!

any insight is very much welcomed ....
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louloumama
Hi guys .... sorry to hijack this thread a bit...... but question for Vitalstatistix as i am very interested in your post . I am a midwife here in the UK currently but filling out NZ registration forms at the mo to do the jump hopefully end of this year. Can you tell more about your experience working within maternity in NZ, surely it can't be worse than the NHS is it ......... !!!!

any insight is very much welcomed ....
Hi louloumama,

I shall reply to you when I have more time, sorry. I had started then got very involved in a FB conversation with an ex-UK colleague in the US. Time for bed for me now
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

O really, well i am also a midwife, and was thinknig about working over there, it it really that different in pay? that worrys me, i currently a community midwife.
How do you find new zealand, or do you want to come home!!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:12 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Well no the only regret is that my eldest daughter has not settled here still after 2 years, so I regret that I brought her out to New Zealand as a teenager and wish we had done it sooner!
Old Aug 4th 2009, 3:16 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Things are fine now..the loss of $140k (last July) was a bit to take..especially when there was 'poor play' involved in the loss. Still what really matters is health, aye? We live in Palmerston North, much derided by many but for us life is utterly wonderful. Kate has the nursing career role of her dreams..district nurse in palliative care. My 3, very young, awesome kids are having the very best upbringing within NZ that we could give them...re education, general health and welfare available, the neighbourhood where they live, etc, etc.

We escaped from Northampton April 2005, the BBC might do a film about it as we simply booked flights over the internet, drove to the airport and flew out of the country. Quite daring, aye?

We lived in an area bedeviled by crime and huge antisocial behaviour. Relative to that where we live now is our utopia. Pretty much all by luck as Manuel said "I know nothing" and indeed we knew no one or diddly squat about Palmerston North. We did research some but I guess you only learn and truly discover a place by living, eating it and breathing it!!!
it is nice that you love it here genesis, but It don't make some of us feel better when we feel that my daughter may have got on better in the Uk, she hates it here and will not settle..so yes I wish i had done it sooner.

and Northampton is not that bad...come on, I went back for a visit there in June!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.