Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi guys-long road ahead

Hi guys-long road ahead

Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Sarby will become famous soon enoughSarby will become famous soon enough
Default Hi guys-long road ahead

we are hoping to live and work in the Auckland area long term. We have absolutely no idea about where to base ourselves.
Timescale- I am a teacher who is now applying to get my qualifications assessed. We are hoping to be in NZ within 2 years.
Oh! and we have an English bull terrier we would like to bring with us! I know stupid and expensive.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:17 pm
mrs want2gonow

just sam will become famous soon enoughjust sam will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hi guys-long road ahead

welcome to the site, there are lots of people planning to go to nz in a year or two us included. we are finishing courses etc. any questions just ask lots of people with good advice and even a few who have taken pets.sam
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sarby
we are hoping to live and work in the Auckland area long term. We have absolutely no idea about where to base ourselves.
Timescale- I am a teacher who is now applying to get my qualifications assessed. We are hoping to be in NZ within 2 years.
Oh! and we have an English bull terrier we would like to bring with us! I know stupid and expensive.
Hello - whereabouts in Norfolk are you? We're hoping to move from Norwich to Christchurch.

Good luck
Alison
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Norwich for my sins. I'm still in the early stages. I here the qualifications will take months to get assessed.
Why are you thinking of Christchurch? I here it's windy!

Saraby
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by just sam
welcome to the site, there are lots of people planning to go to nz in a year or two us included. we are finishing courses etc. any questions just ask lots of people with good advice and even a few who have taken pets.sam
cheers. Its nice to be able to speak to people going through the same thing
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Norwich for my sins. I'm still in the early stages. I here the qualifications will take months to get assessed.

Saraby
Erm...excuse me, Teacher? 'I here it's windy'?

Wellington has the reputation as being windier than other cities.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

Hi Sarby,

My wife and I are looking at being in NZ within two years - we are currently saving and making plans for the move; we also intend to settle in the Auckland area. Something we have discovered is that you really have to be careful about what suburb you wish to settle in if you intent to travel to the CBD each day for work. Public transport is only reliable from a few areas, and the roads in to Auckland seem to get gridlocked at rush-hour times.
Currently we have our eyes on Devonport area, it is a bit more expensive to rent or buy there, but it has a regular 15 minute ferry to the CBD, running frequently from early morning until late at night. If that is cancelled for whatever reason, there are busses into the CBD to replace them.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Saraby

Hello again - Christchurch isn't that windy and it's a lot like Norwich, especially being so flat, but the views and beaches are better. Why are you thinking of Auckland? Have you been for a recce?

Alison
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Haven't been to Auckland before. I'm just going by what people have told me.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by happynz
Erm...excuse me, Teacher? 'I here it's windy'?

Wellington has the reputation as being windier than other cities.
Look I'm on holiday, and besides, I'm a technology teacher.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Look I'm on holiday, and besides, I'm a technology teacher.
Where do you teach at the moment? I want to get out of Norwich before my daughter starts high school next year. (No offence to your spelling but interested in your opinions on Norwich schools.)
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:36 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Look I'm on holiday,
Spelling doesn't take a holiday!

and besides, I'm a technology teacher.
Oh, OK...

I like your attitude.

All the best...
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

welcome to the site, there is always people on here who can answer what ever questions you have.

we are taking our animals with us, people have said we must be daft taking them but i am sure like yours they are part of the family.

i am kirstie and husband is paul, we are hoping to get over in the new year, and are just wating for our ITA, we are wanting to go to Invercargill or Dundedin, defo not going their for the weather,

with regards

kirstie
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:30 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misterjingo
Hi Sarby,
Devonport area, it is a bit more expensive to rent or buy there,
Lovely area, but it's more than 'a bit more expensive' than many other areas on the North Shore, although there are a few of them. Obviously cheaper than prime multi-million dollar areas closer to the CBD like Parnell, Remuera, Epsom etc, but still very expensive. I suppose for good reason.

$1m doesn't buy much in Devonport, but then maybe your budget and/or expectations will be suitably matched. Nice area, but quite crowded too.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littleal
Where do you teach at the moment? I want to get out of Norwich before my daughter starts high school next year. (No offence to your spelling but interested in your opinions on Norwich schools.)
City of Norwich school is good but over subscribed. Blyth Jex is getting better. Outside of Norwich, Aylsham High. All schools have it's good and bad aspects. Stay away from Hellesdon, not sure about Heartsease. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.