British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   hi everyone thinking of moving to new zealand but wer do i start??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-everyone-thinking-moving-new-zealand-but-wer-do-i-start-630766/)

emma jayne Sep 14th 2009 8:45 pm

hi everyone thinking of moving to new zealand but wer do i start???

hi everyone, am a qualified nurse with a years experience and me and my partner are looking at moving over! but ... we just dont no wer you start with it all? any advice ?:(:fingerscrossed:

shevvie Sep 14th 2009 9:38 pm

Re: hi everyone thinking of moving to new zealand but wer do i start???

Hi!

Probably best to start with which visa you can get, you may be eligible for the skills visa depending on what jobs you do?
Have a look through the forums at the visa types Im not too sure of the specifics as Im going on a partner visa (hes from Auckland so can sponsor me).
Look at the New Zealand immigration dept online, they have all the forms and guidance about visas http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

A good magazine that I buy is Australia and New Zealand that comes out every month (u can get it at WHSmiths) and that has loads of basic info about moving... advice on shipping your stuff, how others have moved from UK, schools, areas, places, suburbs, how to plan your move... stuff like that, all really useful.

you should prob start gathering all your paperwork together as well, I have mountains of it! Things like proof of address', bank statments, tenancy agreements, all the crappy paper work that I've thrown away I know need!

If your bringing pets start looking at the diff companies that ship them?

For my visa I needed a medical, which cost about £350 and police checks (standard disclosures which you can do online), so start saving!!

Hope thats helped you a bit!! Im sure theres others on here who may know a bit more than me.

Good luck!
:thumbup:

BEVS Sep 14th 2009 10:18 pm

Nice post Shevvie. Have some karma.;)

Welcome to the forum Emma Jayne. Hope you enjoy your stay and Happy Postings.:)

emma jayne Sep 15th 2009 12:42 pm

thanx so much! thats give me somthing to start with!

am currently saving like mad as i have been told of the costs!!! but will be well worth it in the long run!

i see your a fellow person from the northwest! am from liverpool!:thumbup:

hoping to start a great life over there, but was just finding the whole " were do i start" overwelming but i feel much calmer now thanx:thumbsup:

bye for now ems

Dewb09 Sep 15th 2009 1:28 pm

Hi Emma & welcome :D

You have found a fabulous place to start (outside NZIS)! this site is packed with info, experience and answers to the millions of questions you will have ;)

Good luck

Dewb

willand tina_h Sep 15th 2009 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dewb09 (Post 7933115)
Hi Emma & welcome :D

You have found a fabulous place to start (outside NZIS)! this site is packed with info, experience and answers to the millions of questions you will have ;)

Good luck

Dewb

Hi Ems,

Welcome to BE, fab site, so much info, I find that there is always someone that will know or give you great advice on whatever you ask. Am nurse too, have written on your other thread. All the best.

Tina. x

ukmouse Sep 17th 2009 9:02 am

Hi emma jayne... We're in the same place at the moment. Its all a bit daunting isnt it?

We have the same name btw (mines without the 'y' though)

I have been researching like crazy and I have to agree this site is great.
There's a lot of info on the immigration sites too... all worth a read.

I've found this site link very helpful too re working etc http://www2.careers.govt.nz/home_page.html

and this one http://www.newkiwisglobal.co.nz/default.asp

and this one http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/

Might be of some help to you. If you visit the immigration site you can register and then do a points test. It gives you an idea of what to do etc and is very informative.

Best of luck... hopefully one day soon two emma ja(y)nes will be making their way to NZ!!!:lol:

aalls73 Sep 17th 2009 9:18 am

bring it on!!!

It's a beautiful country were we can all follow our dreams xxxxx

Originally Posted by ukmouse (Post 7938712)
Hi emma jayne... We're in the same place at the moment. Its all a bit daunting isnt it?

We have the same name btw (mines without the 'y' though)

I have been researching like crazy and I have to agree this site is great.
There's a lot of info on the immigration sites too... all worth a read.

I've found this site link very helpful too re working etc http://www2.careers.govt.nz/home_page.html

and this one http://www.newkiwisglobal.co.nz/default.asp

and this one http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/

Might be of some help to you. If you visit the immigration site you can register and then do a points test. It gives you an idea of what to do etc and is very informative.

Best of luck... hopefully one day soon two emma ja(y)nes will be making their way to NZ!!!:lol:

ukmouse Sep 17th 2009 10:09 am

bring it on!!!

It's a beautiful country were we can all follow our dreams xxxxx
There's only one problem with this site..... it makes you very excited about the whole proposition and you forget you're not already up a mountain or kayaking or enjoying a beer watching a sunset... you're still here with a pile of things to do!!! :lol::lol::lol:

emma jayne Sep 17th 2009 4:27 pm

hi emma jane!

ha ha thanks for the tip it is all a bit scarey isnt it but in a good way! :blink:

me and my partner and the little one want to be over there by at least this time next year , want to move while he is still young and at the point in my life were i no i just want more!

just hope i can find a nursing position over there that i will enjoy as my community job i am doing at the min i loveee so much so am scared to give it up!:confused:however i no that its defo the right path for me and my family!

only thing is am still unsure were i actually want to live? wot about you lot? am looking intolots of areas :eek::):D

alanmacc Sep 17th 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 7939739)
hi emma jane!

ha ha thanks for the tip it is all a bit scarey isnt it but in a good way! :blink:

me and my partner and the little one want to be over there by at least this time next year , want to move while he is still young and at the point in my life were i no i just want more!

just hope i can find a nursing position over there that i will enjoy as my community job i am doing at the min i loveee so much so am scared to give it up!:confused:however i no that its defo the right path for me and my family!

only thing is am still unsure were i actually want to live? wot about you lot? am looking intolots of areas :eek::):D

I am a little bias but I would say south island, Christchurch

aalls73 Sep 17th 2009 10:43 pm

If your looking for a nursing position i thibk you'll have no problems finding work. Have you looked into Taranaki, Our friends came over about 4months ago as she was given a nursing job at the local hospital.

Good luck searching for your place in the sun, you really have to follow ya heart and go for it!! It'll all be worth it in the end we got a job and visa's sorted within a month we were here 2 months later.

Andrea x

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 7939739)
hi emma jane!

Dustybin Sep 21st 2009 4:53 am

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 7931110)
hi everyone, am a qualified nurse with a years experience and me and my partner are looking at moving over! but ... we just dont no wer you start with it all? any advice ?:(:fingerscrossed:

plane ticket and a sense of humour, worked for us!

shevvie Sep 21st 2009 9:02 am

Originally Posted by emma jayne (Post 7932977)
thanx so much! thats give me somthing to start with!

am currently saving like mad as i have been told of the costs!!! but will be well worth it in the long run!

i see your a fellow person from the northwest! am from liverpool!:thumbup:

hoping to start a great life over there, but was just finding the whole " were do i start" overwelming but i feel much calmer now thanx:thumbsup:

bye for now ems

Hi Emma

Yes Im from Cheshire, although I lived in Ireland for a long time, I went to uni in Liverpool then Chester!

Hows your plans going?

I am all booked to go Nov 17th cant wait as my partner is over there already working.
We are moving to Auckland, as thats where my boyfriends from, all his friends are there and hes based in Auckland with work. Have you been to NZ before?
The north island has better weather, the south island gets colder. I've never been to Queenstown, it looks soooooooo nice though!:)
Auckland is the biggest city (I think!) - so it depends what you are looking for.. we prefer to be near a city, so we dont get too bored lol! :eek:
The bay of islands is beautiful- not sure that much goes on around there though.......
Also, if you like lots of outdoor activities then it wont really matter if your in a city, town or country...

We are hoping to buy in Auckland suburbs early next year- so if you need advice on these areas hopefully I will be all clued up by then!

Shev :thumbsup:

alanmacc Sep 22nd 2009 12:06 am

Originally Posted by shevvie (Post 7949873)
Hi Emma

Yes Im from Cheshire, although I lived in Ireland for a long time, I went to uni in Liverpool then Chester!

Hows your plans going?

I am all booked to go Nov 17th cant wait as my partner is over there already working.
We are moving to Auckland, as thats where my boyfriends from, all his friends are there and hes based in Auckland with work. Have you been to NZ before?
The north island has better weather, the south island gets colder. I've never been to Queenstown, it looks soooooooo nice though!:)
Auckland is the biggest city (I think!) - so it depends what you are looking for.. we prefer to be near a city, so we dont get too bored lol! :eek:
The bay of islands is beautiful- not sure that much goes on around there though.......
Also, if you like lots of outdoor activities then it wont really matter if your in a city, town or country...

We are hoping to buy in Auckland suburbs early next year- so if you need advice on these areas hopefully I will be all clued up by then!

Shev :thumbsup:

I always love when people say

"The north island has better weather, the south island gets colder"

comming from the UK unless you go to Dunedin or Southland then the weather is a lot warmer here in the South Island than the UK in general, we have been here 2 years now and I have not stopped wearing short sleeved shirts every day