Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

hi everyone im a newbie!!!!

hi everyone im a newbie!!!!

Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

richey83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hi everyone im a newbie!!!!

Hi im richey thanks for taking the time too read my post ive currently got a few worries and wonderings and im in need of advice if anyone can help???

ive been thinking about immigrating for the last few years and ive recently attended a couple expo's and have finally decided too take the plunge and im hoping too be in new zealand after the new year. (new year new life kinda thing)

my first question is should i use a consultant too do my visa application?? ive been quoted £3500 by a company who will sort my visa and find me a job ..... has anyone out there experianced this?? if so any feed back would be greatly recieved.

im an electrician im aware that i will be starting from the bottom of the pack can anyone give me a general idea of the wage i would be earning??

i hear job potential for my trade is in high demand particually in christchurch is this the case???

Also anyone fancy renting me a room when i get there for a wee bit whilst i get myself sorted???
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:19 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hi everyone im a newbie!!!!

Hello and welcome!

I can answer some of your questions!

my first question is should i use a consultant too do my visa application?? ive been quoted £3500 by a company who will sort my visa and find me a job ..... has anyone out there experianced this?? if so any feed back would be greatly recieved.
Assuming you're not a millionaire who can't be arsed, then that £3500 can be put to much better use elsewhere. I'm always amazed at how much they charge for this!!
Applying for a visa is not that difficult that you can't do it yourself, unless there are some issues that may be difficult to deal with without expert help. You're the one who has to find the information and they fill in the forms. Most on here have done it themselves. Agents may be more useful for the job hunting side of things but generally not for a visa application, if you're prepared to put in the effort! NZIS do not give priority to applications submitted by agents.

im an electrician im aware that i will be starting from the bottom of the pack can anyone give me a general idea of the wage i would be earning??
Not sure about the wage. You will need to have NZ electrical registration. If you do a search on this forum you will find plenty of posts on this. Also posts on job hunting and wages!

i hear job potential for my trade is in high demand particually in christchurch is this the case???
Electricians are on both the Long Term and Canterbury Skills Shortage Lists which makes it easier for an employer to offer you a job and for you to get a visa. As to how well that shortage applies on the ground, that varies between occupations.
Visa options:
Skilled Migrant Category: works on points and is an application for residency. No need for a job offer IF you have enough points. However, having enough points to submit an application does not always guarantee success. Some do need a job offer to get their application selected and onto the next stage
Work Visa: temporary visa only, no route to residency if your plan is to stay permanently. Job offer first. Since electricians are on the LTSSL and CSSL if in Chch there is no need for the employer to prove anything.
Work To Residence: Via the LTSSL, it is job offer first. You are given a work visa and once you have worked for two years in that job then you can convert to residency.

This is the Government's official website with all manner of visa info!
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Also anyone fancy renting me a room when i get there for a wee bit whilst i get myself sorted???
Unfortunately I am no longer in Chch...for the time being....
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

To add:
If you are planning on residency, start by looking at the points indicator on the website in the above post. It's not perfect but gives you a good idea of how many points you have. If you score 100 or more then you can submit and Expression of Interest [EOI, the first step] BUT this may not be worth doing depending on how many points you have ie you may not progress further despite being able to submit the EOI.
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Richie,

As Persephone has said no need to pay out for a Immigration Agent as most of us have done it ourselves. All they do anyway is collate the information you give them which is easily done. If you do find yourself in difficulty then people on here can help or it is then you may need an agent to help but from the off I would say just do it yourself and save the money. Emigrating is not cheap.

Have a go at the points indicator and let us know how many points you get.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

SimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant futureSimonR has a brilliant future

£3500 - wow! No way, waste of money.
Save it, and spend it on the move