British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hi Everybody! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-everybody-516753/)

PumpkinPaul Feb 24th 2008 9:31 am

Hi Everybody!

My wife (PumpkinLou) pointed me in the direction of your excellent forum a while back so I just thought I'd better make a quick post to say hello :)

We're off to (probably) Welly some time late October / early November but Lou has ideas about living in the Bay of Plenty - something about sun bathing on the beach all day while I go out to earn the pennies :)

I'm a contract software developer (C# / .Net / SQL) here in the UK and I'm hoping to do some more of that when I get out there. Any Wellington based contractors willing to give me a bit of advice?

Cheers,
Paul.

simonmarkellis Feb 24th 2008 7:07 pm

Re: Hi Everybody!

Originally Posted by PumpkinPaul (Post 5976359)
My wife (PumpkinLou) pointed me in the direction of your excellent forum a while back so I just thought I'd better make a quick post to say hello :)

We're off to (probably) Welly some time late October / early November but Lou has ideas about living in the Bay of Plenty - something about sun bathing on the beach all day while I go out to earn the pennies :)

I'm a contract software developer (C# / .Net / SQL) here in the UK and I'm hoping to do some more of that when I get out there. Any Wellington based contractors willing to give me a bit of advice?

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum... there are plenty of us IT workers on this site that work in Wellington. Here at the moment there is an abundance of oppurtunities, so you shouldn't have any problems securing work.

Simon

karonious Feb 25th 2008 7:42 am

Welcome to the forum, it's never easy being the newbie eh?
Have some karma to make you feel at home here :cool:
Karen

PumpkinPaul Feb 25th 2008 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5978034)
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum... there are plenty of us IT workers on this site that work in Wellington. Here at the moment there is an abundance of oppurtunities, so you shouldn't have any problems securing work.

Simon

Cheers Simon - that's good to hear. I'm probably going to be brave (foolish?) and attempt to get some sort of contract when I actually arrive. If I was gonna try permie I'd set things up before leaving but I want to at least see what the market is like out there for contractors first.

Thanks for the karma Karen :)

PS - Lou's just booked the tickets - we fly out on the 19th October with Singapore Airlines :eek:

Frenchy Feb 27th 2008 9:09 am

Hey Paul good to see you finally made it to the site!!! You will get so much support on here!!!

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pleased for all 4 of you and looking forward so much to seeing you. Well done!!:)

PumpkinPaul Mar 1st 2008 6:55 pm

hi dawn, i'm glad you've said that as we're planning on gate crashing yours on the way up for chch to welly.

Trying to get the house in order now so we can sell asap.trouble is the girls are intent on 'helping' me out

Frenchy Mar 2nd 2008 7:56 am

Come on here and gatecrash whenever you want!!!!!:thumbsup:

BEVS Mar 3rd 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinPaul (Post 5976359)

Lou has ideas about living in the Bay of Plenty - something about sun bathing on the beach all day while I go out to earn the pennies :)
Cheers,
Paul.

Have some karma for marrying a wise woman.

Welcome to the forum.

pumpkinlou Mar 4th 2008 8:42 am

:)

Hi Bevs,

Yes. Thanks for that. I don't see a problem with lying on a beach all day while OH sweats over a hot Computer he he!!

(If only!!!)

OH thinks looking after 2 little people is easier than going to work. :mad:

Pumpkin Lou
x