Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi From Essex. . .

Hi From Essex. . .

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi From Essex. . .

Hi Folks, I’ve been peeking at the forum for a few months and thought it was about time I said ‘Hi’.
Brief history. Went on holiday to NZ in 2001, and can remember the precise moment I fell in love with the place, and just knew I wanted to live here. Had just arrived at Auckland airport, it was raining, and my partner and I were in a taxi on the way to our hotel. I know it sounds crazy. I’ve been to many places around the world, but it literally felt like I was ‘coming home’, even though I had never been to NZ before, and had only just touched down half an hour earlier. I had never felt like that about anywhere else I had ever been.
The holiday was fantastic, and as soon as we got back to Blighty, decided we had to move to NZ. Managed to get a 6 month job search visa, went back to NZ, bought a motorhome, and went round both Islands a couple of times looking for a job. Just 6 weeks before the visa was due to expire, I got a job in Auckland, gained PR, moved to Tauranga, bought a house in Pyes Pa, and turned it into a B&B. Enjoyed doing the renovations more than the thought of running said B&B, so sold it, moved to Wanganui, renovated a couple of houses there, then moved to the South Island. Renovated a couple of houses in Cromwell, then unfortunately split with my partner 2 years ago. She has stayed in Cromwell, and I am back in Billericay – Essex, looking after my increasingly frail Mother.
I spend half my free time looking at anything to do with NZ, and miss it even more, the longer I am away from it. I intend to return to NZ when my Mum eventually springs this mortal coil, but in the meantime, I live the NZ life vicariously by reading the threads on the forum, of those that have made, or are trying to make the move.
I know there are always mixed views from those that love NZ, and those that, for one reason or another, don’t, but for me, there is no finer place on this earth than NZ, and I feel very privileged to have gained NZ Citizenship.
Have tried to keep this very brief, and as I bore my UK friends to death about how great NZ is, I’ve kept it shorter than I thought I would
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hi From Essex. . .

Hi Rolfie, what a great thread! - its been quite a journey for you hasn't it! - but its so nice to keep in touch with New Zealand, and whats happening via this BE forum isnt it? - best of luck with caring for your mum , and wishing you all the luck in the world that you will certainly return to NZ in time
Berni x
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rolfie, what a great thread! - its been quite a journey for you hasn't it! - but its so nice to keep in touch with New Zealand, and whats happening via this BE forum isnt it? - best of luck with caring for your mum , and wishing you all the luck in the world that you will certainly return to NZ in time
Berni x

Thanks for the warm (and fast!) welcome Berni. Yes, great to keep in touch via the forum. I was looking at a few of the picture threads the other day, and just got drawn in to some of the photo's. I almost forgot I was stuck in Blighty.
Thanks again for the welcome!
Ian x
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:58 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rolfie, welcome to the site officially, well done for stepping forward to say hi. Sorry to read of your situation and your poor Mum. Sounds like you left your heart in NZ
The picture threads leave me drooling on here too
Good that you have citizenship now so it should be straight forward when you can return one day.

Great thread thanks for posting.

Dewb
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Hi Rolfie, welcome to the site officially, well done for stepping forward to say hi. Sorry to read of your situation and your poor Mum. Sounds like you left your heart in NZ
The picture threads leave me drooling on here too
Good that you have citizenship now so it should be straight forward when you can return one day.

Great thread thanks for posting.

Dewb
Thanks Dewb09,
Yes, my heart is definitely in NZ. It'll be a double-edged sword when I do return to NZ, as it will mean my Mum has passed on, but that's just the way life goes, and I'm greatful that I will have the opportunity to start a 'new chapter' in my life when the time comes.
Thanks for the welcome