Reload this Page >

Hi, British Soldier looking at New Zealand

Hi, British Soldier looking at New Zealand

Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Davehayles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi, British Soldier looking at New Zealand

Hi,

If any one can offer any good advice for a British Soldier moving to New Zealand to Join The New Zealand Defence Force I would be glad to hear it.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hi, British Soldier looking at New Zealand

Look here:

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/cmps_index.php

It's actually a RAF forum but there are 1 or 2 people who have transferred from the RAF to the NZ "Air Force". They should be able to give you some pointers if you ask on the recruitment boards.

You could also try asking on "AARSE", which is an Army forum. There are a couple of people on there who have made the move.

Good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:28 am
Just Joined

nicky3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My husband joined the RNZN last year, having completed 22 years in the RN.
It's been ok but things are very, very different.
I can't speak for the Army or RNZAF but the Navy have a very hap-hazard attitude.
If i was you i would try to speak to someone who has done the move and can give you an honest opinion of what it's like, not someone that they want you to talk to.
If you want to talk to my husband i can put you in touch with him when he gets back (next week). He'll be able to give you some idea of what the defence force is like!

Also, is it just you or are you moving a family as well?
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Davehayles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

be good to speak to your husband.
I will be bringing my wife and 3 daughters aged 10 and twins at 6.
Are you glad you made the leap ?

Thanks

Dave
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:50 am
Just Joined

nicky3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Am i glad i made the leap?? Sometimes yes, sometimes no!!
Don't underestimate how hard it is to leave family and friends. We've been here a year and i'm still really homesick.
It's a great place for the kids, i have a daughter of 10 and 2 boys, 1 whose 2 and a baby of 9 weeks! My daughter loves it, she's always out doing some kind of sport! She has a lot more freedom here, and i don't tend to worry so much when she's out playing with her friends as i did in the UK.

Downside - It's bloody expensive!! And the shopping is rubbish!! All i can say is thank god for on-line shopping!
White goods are really expensive compared to what you pay in the UK, so bring as much as you can. Books are ridiculously expensive my advice would be to buy loads and bring them with you, especially kids books. Kids clothes as well, tell you wife to stock up before you come!

Have you applied to the RNZAF yet?? Do you know where you would be based?
Our application took 2 years from start to finnish, and that went really quick before i knew it our furniture was packed up and we were getting ready to leave
If there's anything else you want to know just let me know. I'll put my hubby in touch with you when he gets back next week.

nicky