Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Hi all

We have just arrived in Christchurch & looking to introduce ourselves and hopefully meet some other newbies around Christchurch area. We are a family of 3 (we have a 3yr old son) and we arrived on Monday 3rd June. My husband decided he wanted to work overseas some years ago so we had decided to emigrate but initially we were headed to Australia - mainly because we have spent alot of time there and have family & friends in Aus. But my husband had also spent time travelling in NZ and thought it might suit our lifestyle better than Aus, so early this year we changed tack and decided to try and find him a job in NZ. We have been very lucky as he has a specific skill which was in demand in ChCh, so he was able to secure a job via 2 phone calls. This happened in beginning of May, we left UK on 26th May and arrived here in ChCh on Monday!! This has been the most stressful few weeks of our lives but fortunately we sold our property last year and were able to move very quickly. Getting medicals & xrays in Uk with less than a week notice was very tricky but we managed it somehow..
As this was so fast, we lodged visas onshore this week, so now have to wait for the visa to be processed before OH can start work.
Now we are on a mission to find a rental in ChCh, which is looking like a bit of a needle in haystack situation but we have the visa processing time to sort this out.

Would love to hear from any other guys in Christchurch and we will be at the next available meet up!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Welcome to Christchurch and New Zealand! Get on Trademe and have a look at some properties, they move fast! Its worth checking a couple of times a day. There are a few of us knocking around chch and people on here are generally very helpful.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to NZ & best wishes for your new life in CHCH
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to ChCh . Hope you've got your thermals at the ready as it's going to be rather cold . Where are you staying at the moment?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Welcome to Christchurch and New Zealand! Get on Trademe and have a look at some properties, they move fast! Its worth checking a couple of times a day. There are a few of us knocking around chch and people on here are generally very helpful.
Originally Posted by Boopy
Welcome to NZ & best wishes for your new life in CHCH
Originally Posted by chippy64
Welcome to ChCh . Hope you've got your thermals at the ready as it's going to be rather cold . Where are you staying at the moment?
Thanks guys for the help & welcoming wishes, trade me is my new best friend !!! and fortunately we have been given a relocation agent who is busy tapping up agents for us, but boy stuff goes quick and alot of applications. One property (that the reloc agent tried to get for a brit couple recently had 25 applications!!!!!)

ah the cold doesnt bother us, we have lived in the Alps at 2500m before so Christchurch is a bit warmer, we are just hanging out waiting for the ski fields to open!!!!! We are in Parklands until tomorrow, then moving to the CBD for 4 weeks, after that a perm house (assuming we can find one!!!, but we are fairly open minded on areas...
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Parklands! I really like it here - near the beach and forest, a lovely little library (which has lots of stuff going on for children and a fab cafe too), Post Office, Supermarket, gym, parks, great coffee shop (The Naked Baker) and parks. The number 7 is a great bus route - every 15 mins, to Palms and Central Bus Station.
Good luck with the house hunt. Use your 4 weeks to get an idea of what area you like and if it will work for you.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Welcome to Christchurch! Hope you guys settle quickly and all of your initial admin goes through easily and smoothly.

The ski fields are already open thanks to snow a week or two ago, so knock yourselves out! Apparently Mt Hutt is good, though I have never skied myself so it is the recommendation of a friend.

I should add I have been in Christchurch 2 months, it is a really nice place to be even with the obvious earthquake-related mess in places (enjoy the roadworks and do not rely on your sat nav, it will lose!). Have fun and if I can help let me know.

Last edited by ChrisWilson7; Jun 5th 2013 at 10:16 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Christchurch BelleBelle. Wow sounds like you had a hectic few weeks!! Christchurch is a great place with a great lifestyle. If you know where to look, there are heaps of things to do. With a 3 year old, you might like to know that many local community groups run Music and coffee mornings, a good chance to meet others in a friendly environment. Your husband might like to consider joining Freemasons to meet others and form a network of friends.
Wishing you every success in your new city
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
Welcome to Christchurch! Hope you guys settle quickly and all of your initial admin goes through easily and smoothly.

The ski fields are already open thanks to snow a week or two ago, so knock yourselves out! Apparently Mt Hutt is good, though I have never skied myself so it is the recommendation of a friend.

I should add I have been in Christchurch 2 months, it is a really nice place to be even with the obvious earthquake-related mess in places (enjoy the roadworks and do not rely on your sat nav, it will lose!). Have fun and if I can help let me know.
Originally Posted by chc4me
Welcome to Christchurch BelleBelle. Wow sounds like you had a hectic few weeks!! Christchurch is a great place with a great lifestyle. If you know where to look, there are heaps of things to do. With a 3 year old, you might like to know that many local community groups run Music and coffee mornings, a good chance to meet others in a friendly environment. Your husband might like to consider joining Freemasons to meet others and form a network of friends.
Wishing you every success in your new city
Thanks to both of you - Chris we left the sat nav in the UK, we wanted to add to the fun of exploring by using maps!!!!(already discovered roads closed and works - but then thats the reason we are here) My OH is going to be working for a consultancy but seconded into ChCh council which I think is in the CBD, so we have been driving about all over the city checking our sites and offices!!!

chc4me - thanks for the advice on community groups, I will check this out once we are a bit more settled!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Kia Ora!

Welcome to the roadwork capital of the world

Good luck finding rentals by the way. I would also look at gumtree, realestate.co.nz as well as trademe. Prepare to spend a fair whack on a property, we're lucky we've signed the dotted line for another year at our place. We'll have the fun of house hunting next year

What job has your husband got? Good luck with yourself if you're going to try and find a job. Debbie, my wife and a few others can vouch it's almost mission impossible. There could be 20,000 jobs going within your skillset - look forward to how many interviews you'll get

If your on facebook, sign up to New Kiwis Christchurch. Please put your first post that you are offering some product for sale. Mark Smith will give you advice on products if required

Feel free to ask, we're a friendly bunch down here.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck - one idea is to ask the locals - friends of friends etc, as its through these connections you will get to know about places that are going up for rent. Eg my sister that lives in chch has a granny flat attached to their garage and they didn't even have to advertise - a british guy was door knocking looking for a place so they let the flat to him without even having to advertise.

Look a bit further out of the city area too - out Tai Tapu way or even toward Little River which is approx 1 - 1.5 hours drive from the city. A lot of locals would never drive what they consider too far for a commute to live out there, but at only an hour - its not that far by world standards. You can still get a semi-rural type existance that way but commute to the city - might be cheaper but I'm guessing.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 5th 2013 at 11:28 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

JennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant future

Welcome to Christchurch bellebelle, it's a great place to be We've been here since Jan 2012 and have a 3 year old son too (as well as a 1yr old and 5yr old!). My husband has been on secondment since we arrived too, 18 months on and he still hasn't worked for his actual company We live in St Albans, just north of the CBD, nice area to live in, lots of parks etc. Let me know if you fancy a coffee, and a playmate for your son, I know what it's like to arrive with kids and not knowing anyone!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Good advice Shocked Kiwi

You would get more for your money rentwise if you look out of Christchurch. Kaipoi, Rangiora are only a few minutes drive away from Christchurch and you can experience what they call a motorway here. Honestly it's so much fun to drive
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Please put your first post that you are offering some product for sale. Mark Smith will give you advice on products if required
What's this weeks special I wonder???
Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JennyV
Welcome to Christchurch bellebelle, it's a great place to be We've been here since Jan 2012 and have a 3 year old son too (as well as a 1yr old and 5yr old!). My husband has been on secondment since we arrived too, 18 months on and he still hasn't worked for his actual company We live in St Albans, just north of the CBD, nice area to live in, lots of parks etc. Let me know if you fancy a coffee, and a playmate for your son, I know what it's like to arrive with kids and not knowing anyone!
Hi JennyV, thanks for this I will pm you once we are a bit more sorted if thats ok, just moved to CBD today, but we also applied for a house in Sumner today so might be moving again very soon!! Would really like to meet up with you though so will be in touch soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.