Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all, we just arrived in Christchurch!

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Kia Ora!

Welcome to the roadwork capital of the world

Good luck finding rentals by the way. I would also look at gumtree, realestate.co.nz as well as trademe. Prepare to spend a fair whack on a property, we're lucky we've signed the dotted line for another year at our place. We'll have the fun of house hunting next year

What job has your husband got? Good luck with yourself if you're going to try and find a job. Debbie, my wife and a few others can vouch it's almost mission impossible. There could be 20,000 jobs going within your skillset - look forward to how many interviews you'll get

If your on facebook, sign up to New Kiwis Christchurch. Please put your first post that you are offering some product for sale. Mark Smith will give you advice on products if required

Feel free to ask, we're a friendly bunch down here.
Originally Posted by Mark Smith
What's this weeks special I wonder???
Guys, I am probably very stupid but what on earth is the sale of a product about and what do you want us to write!!????!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Tom is just being very naughty as usual. He likes to lead people astray, best ignore anything he says and definitely don't PM him - he has a history of stalking and I heard he is into strangling cats

Seriously though New Kiwis is a chch friendship group on FB, worth a look.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tom is just being very naughty as usual. He likes to lead people astray, best ignore anything he says and definitely don't PM him - he has a history of stalking and I heard he is into strangling cats

Thanks Mark appreciated, we had a look and you do look like a similar minded bunch so we have joined up. Will post on there once we can!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck for the house in Sumner, we like the curry house and the beach bar there.
The causeway road is being diverted for another 5 months and the bridge at ferrymead won't be finished for at least another year +, so I hope you don't mind some inconvenience (although we are all getting roadworks).
Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck for the house in Sumner, we like the curry house and the beach bar there.
The causeway road is being diverted for another 5 months and the bridge at ferrymead won't be finished for at least another year +, so I hope you don't mind some inconvenience (although we are all getting roadworks).
Yeah we knew about the roadworks etc, but really liked the whole area and our reloc agent lives in Sumner so we have already been out and about geting to know Pomner as she calls it! OH is working in the council so commute is short anyway - well it is compared to the 1.5hrs each way in the UK...
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

OI Smithy!!!! I know where you live . You still owe me a few dollars for scaring next doors cat from your garden

It's an in joke Mark and I have with that forum. One of the administrators we're both friends with put a post up about people joining, which ended up getting a few sarky responses from us. It's all good fun

Sumners a lovely place, despite the quake damages. The promenade walk is a favourite of ours and we enjoy both cafes/bars either side. The beach bar can get swamped with flies on the rare occassion but apparently according to the council, the whole city had a huge problem with flies this year

Wife, son and I are in the Merivale area (famous for John Keys dizzy spell and Jessie Ryders boxing bout). We often see Richie McCaw in the Merivale shopping centre during rugby season as the Sushi restaurant in there is his favourite. You'll probably see a few famous people round Christchurch, Richard Branson and Ian McKellen from Britain regularly visit the city.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bellebellec1
Thanks to both of you - Chris we left the sat nav in the UK, we wanted to add to the fun of exploring by using maps!!!!(already discovered roads closed and works - but then thats the reason we are here) My OH is going to be working for a consultancy but seconded into ChCh council which I think is in the CBD, so we have been driving about all over the city checking our sites and offices!!!

chc4me - thanks for the advice on community groups, I will check this out once we are a bit more settled!
The council is in the CBD on Hereford Street - I am currently working there and today bumped into none other than Bob Parker (mayor) in the lift. Nice guy. The view from the 6th floor over to the Port Hills is something else. A few of the things to check out within walking distance of it are:

Cathedral Square
Re:Start container mall (Cashel Street)
Transitional 'cardboard' cathedral (corner of Hereford and Madras streets) with the coloured glass window at the north end. Due to be finished this month, apprently.
The Avon
Botanic Gardens
High Street - some shops have reopened here, as I discovered today
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bellebellec1
Hi all

We have just arrived in Christchurch & looking to introduce ourselves and hopefully meet some other newbies around Christchurch area. We are a family of 3 (we have a 3yr old son) and we arrived on Monday 3rd June. My husband decided he wanted to work overseas some years ago so we had decided to emigrate but initially we were headed to Australia - mainly because we have spent alot of time there and have family & friends in Aus. But my husband had also spent time travelling in NZ and thought it might suit our lifestyle better than Aus, so early this year we changed tack and decided to try and find him a job in NZ. We have been very lucky as he has a specific skill which was in demand in ChCh, so he was able to secure a job via 2 phone calls. This happened in beginning of May, we left UK on 26th May and arrived here in ChCh on Monday!! This has been the most stressful few weeks of our lives but fortunately we sold our property last year and were able to move very quickly. Getting medicals & xrays in Uk with less than a week notice was very tricky but we managed it somehow..
As this was so fast, we lodged visas onshore this week, so now have to wait for the visa to be processed before OH can start work.
Now we are on a mission to find a rental in ChCh, which is looking like a bit of a needle in haystack situation but we have the visa processing time to sort this out.

Would love to hear from any other guys in Christchurch and we will be at the next available meet up!
Hi BelleBelle

Congratulations on your big move! No mean feat with a 3 year old in tow, let alone the timescale you managed it all in!

We are in the midst of our plans to start our new life in Chch. My husband, an architect is heading out to arrive on 28th June.

Myself and our three sons (11, 9 and 6) will follow as soon as our house is sold. Hopefully very soon!

My husband is currently looking for a short term room to let until we arrive. He's signed up to a forum which should help but I'm getting a little bit concerned about stories we keep hearing regarding how hard it is to get a place to live.

I'd love to hear how you get on over the next couple of months, and your opinion in the rental process and availability.

Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light

Ooh good luck - were hoping to be out there late September - just sorting visas house sale etc. very excited. Just me and hubby but such a fab forum so hope to arrange meets with people. I'll be on my own house hunting while hubby's at work so will probably need all the help I can get!

Good luck!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

JennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant future

Larryloo There is a house with a sign up near me (St Albans) saying they have 2 rooms to rent, could note down the number and send to you if you wanted...
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JennyV
Larryloo There is a house with a sign up near me (St Albans) saying they have 2 rooms to rent, could note down the number and send to you if you wanted...
That would be amazing! Thank you so much! My husband will be working in Mandeville street so I think Saint Albans would work quite well?

Old Jun 8th 2013, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Larryloo;10745354]Hi BelleBelle

Congratulations on your big move! No mean feat with a 3 year old in tow, let alone the timescale you managed it all in!

We are in the midst of our plans to start our new life in Chch. My husband, an architect is heading out to arrive on 28th June.

Myself and our three sons (11, 9 and 6) will follow as soon as our house is sold. Hopefully very soon!

My husband is currently looking for a short term room to let until we arrive. He's signed up to a forum which should help but I'm getting a little bit concerned about stories we keep hearing regarding how hard it is to get a place to live.

No worries I will update once we are sorted - we only arrived Monday so are just looking at various options on rentals, they are about but seems to get the nicer ones you need to pay top dollar, so I guess it comes down to what you can afford to pay. In our case we did find a rental, but the owner is messing around and tried to change lease from 12 months to 6 months (which we agreed) then rang back again saying now they only want short term!!!! So we pulled out and back to the drawing board!!! My advice is widen search as much as possible and increase your weekly budget if you can - that seems to open far more options... I will update our findings soon - we have 4 more house to view on Monday.....

Hope your house sells soon!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:34 am
Just Joined

JennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant future

Larryloo I have sent you a PM with the details
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:11 am
Just Joined

siefish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , we too are a family of 3 that also arrived on 5th June we are living in st ablans area at the mo , we also are looking out to meet up with like wise family's!! Thanks simon
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siefish
Hi , we too are a family of 3 that also arrived on 5th June we are living in st ablans area at the mo , we also are looking out to meet up with like wise family's!! Thanks simon
Hi Simon, Welcome to Christchurch! Hope you have somewhere warm and dry at the moment, not the best of weather . What line of work are you in? Be sure to check out the free mini golf course dotted around the city on a dry day - good family fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.