Hi all...

Old Jul 30th 2014, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Stanthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all...

Hello everyone. Sorry about this, I'm a long time lurker, wrestling with a problem.

We’re currently living in the NL and we’re approaching the end of our decade here; originally we planned on moving to Germany (which remains an option, I don’t deny), but… with all the nonsense with Russia in the news recently – not to mention an imminent increase in the number of children I have… I’ve found myself considering NZ. I tell myself that this is a pie-in-the-sky idea, but the more I think about it, the less insane it seems to be.

Firstly, ever since we moved to the NL, its not as though we have a social circle; the Dutch are – as a general rule, there are some exceptions – very hard to get to know, so as a result, we largely remain in contact with our friends & family in the UK. Whilst this is comfortable, it means that we’re trapped in this netherworld where we’re not integrating (so don’t have any support), but we don’t have any social interaction outside of the people we know in the UK. Moving – anywhere - would at least force us to finally break the ties back to the UK and start again.

Secondly, we’ve been to NZ before in 2002; ok, a holiday is obviously not the same as living there (especially now, with wife & children, compared to then, when it was just me & my girlfriend)… but we loved it there. Utterly adored it. Moreover, having lived in the NL for 9 years, we’ve demonstrated that we can make it work, so, as mentioned, perhaps it is more ‘the next step’ rather than a completely new path?

Thirdly, we seem to meet the qualifications in that we’re skilled and young enough (I’m 42, C is 38), with a barrel load of qualifications between us (me: a qualified accountant (ACCA) with a masters degree in chemistry & over 10 years of working as a senior analyst for several major companies using Excel, Access, VBA & SQL – whilst my wife has a PhD in Physics, speaks fluent German & Dutch - and has ended up in as a senior analyst for a logistics company). Moreover, we’re of good character, and, as (I hope) you can tell, the English language requirement isn't a problem.

Financially, we’re in a pretty good way – we’re in positive equity here in the NL, despite the near-collapse in property values since we bought our house in early 2007 & we’ve got some investments back in the UK (mainly a house in Leeds that is totally paid off), so we’ve got a decent amount of financial weight behind any move.

The only potential problem that I can see is the health side of things; a few years ago, my mother in law died of an aortic aneurism, brought on by a genetic defect – we don’t know if C (or the kids) have this, but we don’t know if that would prevent us from going? Whilst its serious, its easily treated and has no other effects - and, heck, its only been identified in the last 12 months as a genetic issue - more than 12 months ago & we would have been free & clear….

All that said, we’re tired. Tired of being migrants, waiting to move, living in teeny-tiny houses with no garden and massive commutes, no landscape and no friends.

So. Am I wool-gathering? Asking for advice? Or just spouting nonsense in a frustrated rant of ‘I’m bored with my life and want something better and I really want my wife to go into labour right now please so we can deliver Aaron’*?... I don’t know.

Should I move to New Zealand? What do people think?

*she's 3 days overdue
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all...

all depends on what you are expecting from the place but I would say yes, come on over, its great
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply - though I have to admit that I should adopt a rule of 'not posting whist having low blood sugar' http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Old Jul 30th 2014, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response. I really ought to avoid posting when experiencing low blood sugar!
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:04 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

firstly I would look at the visa options. you say you are highly qualified so have a go at the points calculator and see what points you get. please remember the qualification has to fit the criteria of the skill it cannot be above or below. and you can only claim for 1 each and only get the extra points on top if in the correct skills list. Also the qualification has to of been gained from a recognised establishment.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

as an Accountant you would need to register with the NZ Institute of Chartered Accounts, (sorry don't know the ins and outs of doing that).

Anaylst is on the skills list but it does depend which area you are working in, so you would have to check the criteria out

Essential Skills In Demand Lists

let us know how you get on with your points
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, hope you have enough points, I get where your coming from, i too have lived in the NL.
Guess it up to the points to see if you can come first, as already said.
You have already been here, so you know our cities are not huge and its in Auckland or Wellington to see the big shows, shopping can be expensive and the homes can be a bit odd, its not perfect here by any means.
However, having lived and worked in NL, UK, Denmark, Greece, Australia (Sydney and Brisbane) I am happy to call NZ home.

Its a beautiful and interesting country, I love the fact that I can drive three hours and could go to a winery, the beach, climb a mountain, or hide myself in rural backwaters. I find it safe (on the whole) and the locals friendly for the most part.
If possible, do look all around the country before deciding anything, personally I LOVE the Hawkes Bay and Nelson Areas along with the greater Wellington district.
Good luck with your information gathering and new baby, I personally think NZ is an awesome place to bring up children.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to register with NZICA (or whatever they call themselves these days), I work with heaps of people who are ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CIPFA, so as long as you're some sort of CA (which you are), you won't have a problem. When we applied, Accountancy was on the long term list, but I couldn't claim the points, as my degree wasn't in accountancy. So depending on your first degree, you may be better to not claim the LT shortage points, and go for the points for the Masters.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:53 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanthorpe
All that said, we’re tired. Tired of being migrants, waiting to move, living in teeny-tiny houses with no garden and massive commutes, no landscape and no friends.
I'm a bit confused by this bit. By moving to a country on the other side of the world you will be starting the migrant route all over again, but this time, further away from friends and family. It will take you the same length of time to settle as it did the last time you were migrants.

I'm not saying don't do it, but be aware that on arriving in NZ you will be migrants with all the stress that it entails.

Any baby news?