Hi all...

Old Mar 21st 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ping Pong Pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all...

My other half and I hope to be on our way in a few weeks and have quotes for shipping pets, furniture, car etc and are trying to compile a list of other things to bring. Any suggestions?

We have iphones and will be tied into our UK contract with vodafone for the forseeable so will be unlocking them to accept a kiwi sim. Having checked the vodafone rates in NZ, they seem really expensive at around $100 a month. Can you recommended anything cheaper?

Whilst we're not massive tv buffs, we do like to watch the odd movie. Is it possible to access Lovefilm, netflix etc there?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:06 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all...

Hi and welcome to BE,

I can't help with you questions I'm afraid as I am in the US, but I wanted to pop by and say hi and welcome you to the community.

I am sure someone will be along shortly who can give you some pointers and in the meantime read through some of the other threads and get to know everyone.

Best of luck with your move, are you excited?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Massively excited but also mixed feelings, due to leaving family behind. Mind you, they know where the airport is
Old Mar 21st 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

hey ping pom. welcome to the forum sounds like your going to be very busy! where in NZ you off to?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 7:37 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ping pong- where you did you move to first time round?
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I was lucky enough to spend time living in Auckland, Tauranga, and Christchurch and visited Hamilton, Gisborne, Napier and Wellington. Tauranga is my fave place though and I cant wait to call it home!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

1: Don't bother getting a contract phone at all! Just get a pay and go (that's what both of us have got) and then get a prepay sim for the phone. I've got a prepay sim for my iphone and it works fine, whilst i'm still paying three back at home for the bargain

2: There is a NZ version of lovefilm called Fatso. Yes that's right, it's called fatso. You'll understand here that we do not have cretinous idiotic first class morons that are known as the politicial correctness guardian reading brigade. Literally if someone back in the UK did that, the guardian newspaper would have a field day whinging whilst Yvette Balls would call the owner a disgrace etc. I don't know how much it is a month because we've just got the full sky package and watch whatever film is on there every friday and saturday night
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tom. As I say, I'm not a major film buff, but I seem to recall that come 10pm, there's not much on the box!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ping Pong Pom
I was lucky enough to spend time living in Auckland, Tauranga, and Christchurch and visited Hamilton, Gisborne, Napier and Wellington. Tauranga is my fave place though and I cant wait to call it home!
Can I ask what made you return to the Uk and then to decide to come back? Your comments might be helpful to others, also I am naturally nosey.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure u cancel your phones in writing before you go we had a nightmare with Vodaphone and Orange I just tols them to get stuffed in the end

Where about,s in the NW we where from Warrington

Neil
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
You'll understand here that we do not have cretinous idiotic first class morons that are known as the politicial correctness guardian reading brigade. Literally if someone back in the UK did that, the guardian newspaper would have a field day whinging whilst Yvette Balls would call the owner a disgrace etc.
I guess this would only bother you a lot if you were a similary extreme cretinous idiotic first class moron who wants the freedom to be as racist, culturally insensitive and sexist as you like.

Did anyone force you to read the Guardian against your will.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi Genesis,

I only returned because of family, in the hope that I could persuade my grown up kids to join me. I can honestly say that I didn't miss ANYTHING about the UK at all, only my family. I spent the best part of 3 years in NZ in various places, so I'm aware of some pros and cons, but remain lured there.

There's no sign of my family going to NZ soon, but they're complacent because they already have PR. I, on the other hand, feel I'm at a crossroads and if I don't go soon, I'll end up stuck here, which was never my intention. It's just going to be difficult, as I've a daughter anticipating a wedding in the next year, or so, and a son settled with his second child due to arrive in the next week! It's the age old story; do I go and hope they follow, or forsake my own dreams to remain close to them, in the knowledge they could end up moving hundreds of miles away from me in the Uk if their relationships/work dictated that It's not easy!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi Neil,

I'm obviously a bit nomadic, as I've lived all over the North West; various parts of Manchester, Bolton and, for the last few years, Chester, working on the Wirral and Liverpool. I've passed through Warrington regularly and have been known to frequent the chapel of Ikea from time to time

How long have you been in Christchurch? I spent around 5 months there and lived in Rolleston, shopped in Hornby/Riccarton. I recall a couple of Irish bars in town, but can't remember the names.

I decided to drive South one day, from Rolleston to Timaru and was absolutely petrified because of the lack of cars on the road. Soooo scary, even in broad daylight, driving alone for an hour and then seeing a solitary car approach in your rear view mirror Too many films!!