Hi All

Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

leedslass1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi All

Hi All

Just thought I would come onboard and say hi to everyone.

Thinking of moving BACK !!!!! to NZ next year. The story is this :-

I came out to NZ in 2004 and stayed till 2007. I couldnt settle in Auckland and my initial reaction was to up sticks and head back home.

I felt so bad my hubby n kids loved it out in NZ, but I felt soooo guilty been there I never had a family when I was growing up and felt like I had dragged my kids away from theres and would grow up without knowing theres, my best friend was sooo depressed after I left that she begged me to come back I felt awful. The job I had was pants with rubbish pay and trying to find another was near on impossible. My immigration consultant at the time was bleeding us dry trying to get our residency sorted out he was charging us another $1000 every week or so it was getting rediculous savings where nearly dried up. So I became rather negative about the whole thing and so I nattered and nattered till finally my husband gave in and we sold up and came back to the UK.

The problem was once we put the house up for sale and the day arrived to leave NZ I had actually become more at peace with myself been there and I actually didnt want to leave but I could never tell them that or I would have got hung drawn and quartered

We came back with barely and money left it had cost us a fortune to ship there n back travel there n back and to get fleeced by the immigration consultant. But it was like we had never been away we picked up where we left off hubby got his job back at the old place, we moved back to near where we lived. Got grief off everybody for being idiots and coming back

I went off to Uni and got myself a degree and have now become a healthcare professional (ODP).

Anyway we have been back 4 years now and not a day goes by that my hubby or one of the kids doesnt mention NZ. Everything the Auckland warriors does my hubby is telling me about. lol

My daughter is now 19 and there is nothing here for her whatsoever, she still stays in constant contact with her NZ friends who have all gone on to uni and got good jobs etc some even buying homes at 19!!! how many 19 year olds here own their own homes ???? and I feel bad because I ruined her education for her she is working in the resturant in Ikea for a pitance because thats the only job she could get after applying for what feels like thousands even after going to college n getting some qualifications, it seems highly unlikely she is ever gunna have the opportunity to buy herself a house, she has passed her driving test but we cant afford £5,000 a year for car insurance when we were in NZ she had just got her learners licence and was driving our cars she was in her element good friends decent weekend job etc. What a cruel mother I feel
So a few weeks ago I was just randomly chatting to my hubby and daughter about a work collegue who had gone to NZ who I stay in touch with and just sneaked in "shall we go back to NZ" without hesitation both of them smiled and said when we off!!!!!

I know NZ wasnt rosy for me for most of the time but the family n friends I moved back to see, well I dont actually see so much of them anyway and I think to myself I talk to them more on facebook than I see them in person I could have done that from NZ.

So my dilemma is this because I was rather depressed the first 2 and a half years when I was originally out there do I risk the upheaval of coming back again and stillfeeling that way or do I just get on with living life here. I cant decided quite yet but theres something pulling me to look into it all over again. I have way more than enough points to qualify now 2 hospitals I have spoke to are interested in me so do I or dont I ?? If I did take the plunge AGAIN!!! I would be coming with a fraction of the money I came with first time round but on the other hand im gunna be earning twice as much if not more than what I earned last time I was here................. I cant decided

Sorry for long post and sorry if I sent you to sleep but I got stuff off my chest haha
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice
Exclamation Re: Hi All

Hi ,
I think in your heart you already know the answer!!! Its return to NZ
I have been a ping pong pom for the last 28 years I left the uk when I was 13 to move to nz with my mum and dad ... My dad died 3 weeks after we arrived aged 41 the same age I am now !! My mum stayed in nz to fulfill my dads dream of us all becoming kiwi's, which we now are. i really admire her for this as we had no one out there and knew no one due to only being there for 3 weeks.
So I have been backwards and forwards for the last 28 years. my last trip back to the uk 11 years ago I met my now husband, i took him to nz to get married and he fell in love with the place. So where are we at now ..
.Planning to move out to NZ lock stock and kids and dog :-) by may 2012 and this time I know I won't come back to the uk, for me I guess I finally get what my dad was trying to do all those years ago ...
Go for it, NZ has so obviously grabbed you and won't let go like it has so many of us.... Don't live with regret as it sounds like you are ... look at my Dad ...u just never know what is around the corner and we live happy with the fact that he achieved his goals in life and that was to emigrate to NZ.

Go for it ... it will be tough and you may struggle for a good few years , but I am sure u will go over this time with a far different attitude this time .
Best of luck and be brave
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Hi All

Hi Welshrgeordie

Thank you for the reply on reflection of my previous time in NZ regardless of the guilt for leaving the family/friends last time I feel was the uncertainty we went out on work visas hubby is an engineer and was told residency wouldnt be a problem, only to find that when we were there the NZ immigration wouldnt recognise my hubbys qualifications due to the fact that the place he had served his apprenticeship at had since gone bankrupt and hence didnt exist anymore and this became a major issue his workplace recognised his qualifications as did every other place he applied to but immigration wouldnt so I spent most of the time there worrying about getting kicked out when our visa expired hence the immigration consultant ripping us off.

That isnt a worry now as I can get residency as I am on the shortage list

Funny how life works you go you come back you wanna go again........ anyway we shall see how it goes if Im meant to go back I will be back
Old Sep 30th 2011, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by leedslass1973
Hi Welshrgeordie

Thank you for the reply on reflection of my previous time in NZ regardless of the guilt for leaving the family/friends last time I feel was the uncertainty we went out on work visas hubby is an engineer and was told residency wouldnt be a problem, only to find that when we were there the NZ immigration wouldnt recognise my hubbys qualifications due to the fact that the place he had served his apprenticeship at had since gone bankrupt and hence didnt exist anymore and this became a major issue his workplace recognised his qualifications as did every other place he applied to but immigration wouldnt so I spent most of the time there worrying about getting kicked out when our visa expired hence the immigration consultant ripping us off.

That isnt a worry now as I can get residency as I am on the shortage list

Funny how life works you go you come back you wanna go again........ anyway we shall see how it goes if Im meant to go back I will be back
Hi ,
thats great that u will be able to apply for residency and I am sure it will make all the difference in how u settle. NZ is a cheeky little country I feel as it tends to steal your heart lol. It does however appear to be really simple to go thru the application process yourself from what I have read on lots of forums and it was very easy for us to get my hubbys partner visa , so it might be worth while considering doing it all your self and saving a packet on an adviser which I am sure you will.
Best of luck to you and remember fortune favours the brave :-)
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Yes im sure its not so tricky after the last attempt I think I memorised the whole of the immigration process so I am going to do it myself I have lots of points this time round so wouldnt be worried.

If I do go I will not repeat the last time as I got off the plane and thought OMG this is it for the rest of my life and got in a panic I am going to go with the thought in my mind that this is only for 12 months and will reassess every 12 months looking on it as an annual thing so as not to freak out if that makes sense (sound like a nutter dont i ) but if I just think right im here for 12 months then when thats up then think right another 12 months an so on and so forth until I a. still dont like it and go and then never come back or hopefully b. I forget all about the 12 month plans n stay forever lol
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome to this NZ forum Leedslass1973. If you were here before, then welcome back.

II think this deserves moving into the main area where more people will see it.

Happy Posting.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 5:28 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome. What an interesting story.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:11 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Good reading.. thank you and best of luck...
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:25 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, interesting story and I hope things work out better for you guys this time round. One question, do you have a plan for your daughter? Now that she is over 18, she will have to apply under her own stream.