British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hi All (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-all-516233/)

Riverside Feb 21st 2008 9:34 pm

Hi All

hello everyone.

I'm new on this site. I have just got in from an evening on standby as an emergency gas engineer here in the uk.My partner and I have been considering a move for some years(!) now but something has always got in the way!..We are slowly running out of excuses not to emigrate and would like to get a feel of how people think about our chances of success.
I'm fifty in Sept, fully qualified (see Gas fitting work to residence in immigration forum) and have a 5, 12 and 19 year old to drag along with me....and of course my beloved!!

many thanks in advance

happynz Feb 21st 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Hi All

Never mind the age Grampa. I got PR at 49. You've got until the end of your fifty-fifth birthday so you had better bust a move because you aren't getting any younger.

Good luck and karma sent.

Nerine Feb 21st 2008 10:13 pm

Hi and welcome, "no time like the present" as they say :) good luck karma on its way......

BEVS Feb 22nd 2008 7:38 pm

Hi and welcome.

I came to NZ just before my 50th birthday. Husband is a plumber/gasfitter

Riverside Feb 23rd 2008 9:28 am

Thank you all for answering me, for me it was quite daunting to first start writing (also because i'm not a wiz when it comes to using a keyboard!!), it is reassuring to know that there actually are people out there who have already undergone the high and lows that we are now experiencing.
I think the decision to start doing this was quite a step, and I have now e-mailed PGDB enclosing a CV asking for advise on how to start the ball rolling with them.....not bad for a couple of days!!

BEVS Feb 23rd 2008 8:03 pm

Not bad at all :D

Here is a link to the PGDB website. In particular the link leads you to a process guide and a form . Download them and print them off.

Please click on the blue type

LINK TO PGDB OVERSEAS FORM AND GUIDE

karonious Feb 25th 2008 7:39 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :cool:
Have some karma to make you feel at home here :thumbup:
Karen

Riverside Feb 25th 2008 8:00 pm

Once again
Thanks to all that have taken the time to write to me. This is getting to be quite addictive!!:). But something intrigues me....what is it with the karma being wished everywhere? Is this something particular to NZ? Do I have to bring it with me? Are there tax breaks for those bringing it in wholesale? Is there a black market in karma? Or do I need to learn a special handshake?? These are just some of the questions keeping me awake at night....please help!!

Nerine Feb 26th 2008 3:54 am

NZ is the capital of Karma :D,have some fun with it...... look at "karma Fun" at the top of the page ^