British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hi all, (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-all-501395/)

Gwen. Dec 23rd 2007 10:09 pm

Hi all,

I've been browsing this site for a while, thought i'd better introduce myself before the questions start flooding.
I'm hoping to be emmigrating to New Zealand 2009, I'll a bit nervous but excited...don't know where I'll be living yet, I'm hoping to be coming over 2008 to travel around...

simonmarkellis Dec 23rd 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Hi all,

Originally Posted by Gwen. (Post 5700392)
I've been browsing this site for a while, thought i'd better introduce myself before the questions start flooding.

Hello Gwen,

Kia Ora and welcome to the forum. Ask away any questions you have.

Have a great christmas...

Gwen. Dec 23rd 2007 10:19 pm

Hey thanks,

I've been reading some of the other sites within the forum and there seems to be mixed emotions from people who have moved over there...are most expats happy and settled?

Maz Dec 23rd 2007 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gwen. (Post 5700431)
Hey thanks,

I've been reading some of the other sites within the forum and there seems to be mixed emotions from people who have moved over there...are most expats happy and settled?

That's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, and I think a lot of people on this forum have been getting a bit tired of being told how wonderful Aussie is. Blech. Personally I have zero desire to ever step foot in the place, but that's just me.

Anyway, I love it here. We are most definitely living our dream. :D :thumbup:

Ask away with any questions! Question for you - what draws you to New Zealand? Would you be applying under the points system for PR, or a WTR visa? *

* Sorry, PR = Permanent Residence and WTR = Work To Residence

BEVS Dec 23rd 2007 10:38 pm

Welcome to the Forum.
Happy Posting

are most expats happy and settled?
Who knows. How long is a piece of string?
If you look across all the BE boards, you'll see a right mixed bag of views, feelings and emotions .

Each person can only give their own personal viewpoint but only you will know if a country feels right for you, once you have lived in it for a while.

For me, some days I am happy ,settled & it is a great place to live. Some days , less so. Some days, I would like to leave & try somewhere else & sometimes I am homesick for my family in the UK & wish to be there.

Gwen. Dec 23rd 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Maz, thanks for that...I feel the same re Oz, I've a few mates that have moved over there in recent years...more recently a mate went over to Perth in July and loves it...but Oz does not appeal to me and never has.

I've recently applied to the Police...they're recruiting from England at the moment and i'm through the first stage of the selection. If I’m successful with a job offer I start the process with immigration.

happynz Dec 24th 2007 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Gwen. (Post 5700482)
I've recently applied to the Police...they're recruiting from England at the moment and i'm through the first stage of the selection. If I’m successful with a job offer I start the process with immigration.

You had better get fit. I've read that that meeting the fitness requirements are one of the biggest hurdles to get over in getting through the police course.

Good luck.

Gwen. Dec 24th 2007 2:48 am

Thanks happynz,

I'm not to unfit thankfully so long as their not expecting an athlete! If i pass the IQ test I'm expecting the fitness and interview to be sometime in March.

karonious Dec 24th 2007 6:47 am

Welcome to the forum Gwen, happy posting :thumbsup: Have some karma to start you off :thumbup:
Karen