hi from airdrie

Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough
Default hi from airdrie

just starting out process, hopefully would like to move to dunedin
although might be bit isolated for three teenage kids, two of them would pack their bags tomorrow, eldest and oh still bit wary of such a big move
both nurses so do not think getting accepted should be a major problem
love this site lots of good info and craic
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hi from airdrie

Originally Posted by Jobry01
although might be bit isolated for three teenage kids, two of them would pack their bags tomorrow, eldest and oh still bit wary of such a big move
Hi and welcome Jobry01.

There are a few users in Dunedin, hopefully they will see this. If not feel free to post a thread in the main forum requesting specific info on the area. Enjoy the site.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:44 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: hi from airdrie

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi and welcome Jobry01.

There are a few users in Dunedin, hopefully they will see this. If not feel free to post a thread in the main forum requesting specific info on the area. Enjoy the site.
Hi and welcome to BE I am a nurse too, had no trouble getting a job, infact happened too fast!!!!! Hoping to be out there in jan 2010, submitting on the 18th, so cannot wait. Any help/questions just ask, site is fab anyone will help you.
Tina.x
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:19 am
Just Joined

kejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nicekejktfc is just really nice

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Hi and welcome to BE I am a nurse too, had no trouble getting a job, infact happened too fast!!!!! Hoping to be out there in jan 2010, submitting on the 18th, so cannot wait. Any help/questions just ask, site is fab anyone will help you.
Tina.x
Hi Tina, just going through the process myself with wife who is a nurse. Can I ask how long it has taken, or are you in the process, of getting registered with the NZ Nursing Council. Still can't believe OH had to take the Eilts English test......

We are sending our stuff of for Nursing Registration this week.

kejktfc
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobry01
Hi and welcome

Airdie to NZ ..... not much diff really its a bit like carnbroe only less people less houses and better weather.

We moved from Bellshill and settled in Christchurch (but I did live in Airdie for a bit)

You will have no issues in getting jobs here as nurses, my OH has moved jobs 3 times in 2 years !!!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

thank for the replies,
christchurch was somewhere we thought about but maybe too crowded, also thought my 18 and 16yo would prefer the student atmosphere in dunedin

did some research re jobs by phoning some health boards and were offered jobs virtually there and then still getting emails asking when we will be flying out
john
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:16 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome

Good luck with it all

Dewb
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:04 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - we live in Dunedin.

There are plenty of UK nurses in town, and there always seem to be vacancies at the main hospital so that all sounds good.

Obviously the University is already on your radar, but you might also want to look at the high schools for kids.

Girls schools:
Columba
St Hildas
Otago Girls High
Queens

Boys:
John McGlashan
Otago Boys High
Kings

Mixed:
Kavanagh (Catholic)
Logan Park
Kaikorai
Bayfield

There are plenty of choices for housing and areas around town. Some of the considerations apart from price will be views, sun, shelter from southerlies, proximity to student areas (lively bunch they are). We live in Roslyn, and some of the other generally sought after suburbs are Maori Hill, Belleknowes, St Clair and Waverley. St Leonards and Macandrew Bay are smaller settlements down the harbour that both have their fans, each about a 10min drive into the city.

The city is very compact and easy to get around by car. For us it's less than 10min to anywhere. Bus routes are improving but are still not that extensive.

Hope that helps..ask away if you have any other queries.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

thanks much appreciated
now just need to hope OH doesn't change mind again!!!
john
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:52 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

On the isolation thing - just check out Air New Zealand website. Its pretty easy and usually not too expensive to get away for a weekend in one of the other main centres.

And of course anywhere south of Christchurch (which covers some amazing destinations like Queenstown, Mt Cook, Milford) is generally drivable within 4-5 hours and doable as a weekend trip. Also, there are direct flights from Dunedin to Brisbane and Sydney (and there were also flights to Melbourne, but I think they have been canned in the current recession).
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow small world

Im from the EK though was living in Hamilton b4 we moved here

Didnt realsie you were from bellshill Alan, we were born there lol

anyway you will love it im sure its so much bettee than sunny ole scotland lol

best of luck
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:46 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hello & welcome!

You've definitely come to the right place, loads of info here and very helpful people!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 10:54 am
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: hi from airdrie

Originally Posted by kejktfc
Hi Tina, just going through the process myself with wife who is a nurse. Can I ask how long it has taken, or are you in the process, of getting registered with the NZ Nursing Council. Still can't believe OH had to take the Eilts English test......

We are sending our stuff of for Nursing Registration this week.

kejktfc
soz its taken so long getting back to you, however, I lost you, lol.
I have had my nz reg since nov 2006, once you have it, it is for life, so thats one good thing, it took us about 3 months to get mine, hope thats a bit of help. The nz reg are very good I have to say, and they were very good if I rang for progress etc.
Tina. x
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all the replies
i have scoured the net for months getting wee bits of info here and there
got more from all the people here in one week