Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Hi again - What about CHristchurch [moved to main forum]

Hi again - What about CHristchurch [moved to main forum]

Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

to-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really niceto-go-or-not-to-go is just really nice
Default Hi again - What about CHristchurch [moved to main forum]

HI

I introduced myself about a week ago and I seem to have been on an emotional rollercoaster ever since. Had lots of really helpful replies and met some lovely people. But also read some threads that scare me to death and make me wonder if we are doing the right thing.

I know every place has its ups and downs, but when I read how much people who have been in NZ for a few years hate it and wish they'd never done it that really worries me.

I want to do the best thing for my family and hopefully have know regrets......any thoughts anyone?

Secondly we had some interest from Hawkes Bay in my husband which looks great but then CHristchurch has expressed and interest and the job looks better for my husband. The only problem being that we really fancies the NOrth Island, I know that climate wise NZ is'nt Aussie but I was hoping for the weather to be better than the UK. Is is really not much different? am I still going to be staring out of the window desparate to get out there but its raining again?

Let me have it then goods and bads NZ on the whole (Iknow about the hoons etc) but especially about Christchurch. It would really help if I got a good rounded opinion of the place, its a big decision to make and I'd like your help ........thank you
jen
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi again - What about CHristchurch [moved to main forum]

Hi

We like yourselves had the same problem we always had Hawkes Bay as the place we wanted to be in, then we looked at christchurch, It seemed that it might be a better place for hubby to work ( he`s a nurse) but after reading a few threads and doing research we decided it was not for us, i do suggest to really research as best as you can before you make you decision we having been planing our move to NZ for the last 4-5 years so that has been a lot of researching and finally deciding that it was right for our family, and for us to start putting all into action. We have so far only just managed to fill out the EOI form

We are going to the NZ expo in london and Hubby is hoping to get some good contacts for jobs, as we don`t want to submit our EOI untill he has a good offer of an job as then our points will be over 140 so hopefully we will get automatic selection i think i am right in saying

So our plan is still to come to Hawkes bay, it seemed to offer all that we were looking for,plus we have an added bonus that hubby has a former colleague who is a kiwi, has returned home and has also decided on hawkes bay

Good luck with your plans and i am sure that there are lots of others that can give you a good insight into live in Christchurch, that might help you with your decision.

Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2008, 6:56 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

You shouldn't really let some of the threads scare you to death, just see them as perhaps being at one end of a very broad scale. Ok, there are problems with hoons, gangs and the like but you're not going to encounter them on every street corner, every day. As with most places you just have to choose carefully where to live. For that reason most people rent for the first few months to get a feel for a place and decide if they want to stay there.

It's really important to be in a job that you're happy doing and that is going to put the bread on the table, for those reasons I'd say your OH should really go for the job which appeals most to him and fit it all in round that.

Even if it turns out to be a dud there's no reason why you can't line something else up after you've been there for a while and got a feel for the place, plus a bit of NZ working experience.

I guess the key is just to stay flexible.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:31 am
Just Joined

SamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really niceSamBinNZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by to-go-or-not-to-go
HI

I introduced myself about a week ago and I seem to have been on an emotional rollercoaster ever since. Had lots of really helpful replies and met some lovely people. But also read some threads that scare me to death and make me wonder if we are doing the right thing.

I know every place has its ups and downs, but when I read how much people who have been in NZ for a few years hate it and wish they'd never done it that really worries me.

I want to do the best thing for my family and hopefully have know regrets......any thoughts anyone?

Secondly we had some interest from Hawkes Bay in my husband which looks great but then CHristchurch has expressed and interest and the job looks better for my husband. The only problem being that we really fancies the NOrth Island, I know that climate wise NZ is'nt Aussie but I was hoping for the weather to be better than the UK. Is is really not much different? am I still going to be staring out of the window desparate to get out there but its raining again?

Let me have it then goods and bads NZ on the whole (Iknow about the hoons etc) but especially about Christchurch. It would really help if I got a good rounded opinion of the place, its a big decision to make and I'd like your help ........thank you
jen
Hi,

We moved to NZ in October and can honestly say it has been the best move. We live about 25 minutes outside of Christchurch in a place called Rangiora. We are 10 minutes from the beach, have a fantastic view of the Southern Alps from our bedroom window and are 5 minutes walk from my daughters school. We haven't seen any trouble since we have been here and we love it. We had never been to Christchurch before we moved here and it was a leap of faith that we had made the right choice when we sold up in the UK and moved our lives out here, but you only live once and we decided that we would take that chance. I miss my family back home but I have found a fantastic job where I can bike to every morning, my daughter is happy at school and my husband is also working, so you just have to go for it like we did. If you don't like it, you can always move. Anyway good luck to you whatever you decide.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by to-go-or-not-to-go
HI

jen
It natural to be worried about a big move like that, best you can do is read up on different peoples opinion and experiences and go there with an open mind and a realistic view that nowhere is perfect. Dont get too easily put off the whole idea, but take others experiences into consideration to help you be prepared.

in terms of where to live, i have only visited Christchurch, but most people who moved there seem to have liked the place. it is a bigger city so you are arguably better connected to other places in Nz, although it requires flying rather than driving to sights on the North Island. Weatherwise I think Chch is pretty good, colder in the winter but from accounts pretty good in the summer.

NZ overall isnt australia for weather, and it does rain quite a lot, but summer days are great. When the weather is bad its really bad, and when its good its brilliant, not so many loong dull grey overcast spells as in the UK.

If you are worried about settling in (and there really is no way of knowing until you actually make the move) consider renting out your house in the UK, and go with a view to giving it a good go for two years, if you like it and decide a stay, great, if you want to return you go back to the UK with great experiences you would never have had otherwise.

good luck
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Jen, we are a family of 4, two kids aged 13 and 8, we are doing a two week trip at the end of this month. We are looking at going for good to Chch, we will be staying in govenors bay and rangiora with the intention to look at Rolleston and surronding areas. Give me a shout 2nd week into April and i'l tell ya how we got on.

Gary.