British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hi-502580/)

jowan Dec 31st 2007 1:31 pm

Hi

Hi, just wanted to say hello. Me and my husband are loking at the possibility of moving out of the UK, I've just stumbled accross this site and thinking it looks like a good place to start asking a few q's :thumbsup:.

Joanne

littleal Dec 31st 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Hi

Hello there - yes it's a wonderful site. Have you visited NZ before? What are your plans?

Welcome
Alison

Animal Crackers Dec 31st 2007 5:12 pm

Hi!! Welcome to our little world. You will find everyone so friendly and helpful on here. Don't be afraid to ask any questions as someone will be able to advise you!!:thumbsup: Happy New Year to you both:wub:

Originally Posted by jowan (Post 5722960)
Hi, just wanted to say hello. Me and my husband are loking at the possibility of moving out of the UK, I've just stumbled accross this site and thinking it looks like a good place to start asking a few q's :thumbsup:.

Joanne

jowan Dec 31st 2007 6:17 pm

Not really got any plans at the moment. It's a thought that we have had for a while but never really known where to start looking so have put it off so here we are starting to do some serious investigating.

Almost forgot no we haven't visited, have heard and seen so many good things though.

Any help/advice is seriously welcome

Thanks Joanne

EmandKen Dec 31st 2007 6:52 pm

Hi Joanne and hubby
We are in the process of applying so are a little further along the line, but my advice is, life's too short so go for it. Go and visit and I'm pretty sure you will want to emigrate. We're heading for Christchurch in the south island, I'm a teacher and OH computer porgrammer. What do you both do?
Happy New Year by the way! :)
Emma

jowan Dec 31st 2007 6:59 pm

We have a 2 yr old so we are certain we would like to try and move. My husband works with a rail company updating various information (official heading - information controller). I'm a nursery nurse, but have also done office work. Not sure if we'll have much success but we're going to give it a go, no harm in trying and I think we would seriously regret not trying.

BEVS Dec 31st 2007 11:26 pm

Kia Ora and welcome to the New Zealand part of the British Expat website.
You've stumbled onto a great site for investigating living in other parts of the world other than the U.K.

Have some karma to get you started.

We live at the top of the South Island. Lovely med. like weather. Safe, clean and simply beautiful.

My husband is a plumber & I work part-time at whatever takes my fancy.

New Zealand is a lovely place to live.

Maz Dec 31st 2007 11:35 pm

Hi Joanne,

Welcome to BE! *waves* Have some welcome karma, and do ask all the questions you want in the main forum about where to live, etc. :)

Nerine Jan 1st 2008 2:37 am

Hi and welcome!! I'd recommend that you put the money aside and make a visit before you decide - have a look around, go to some job interviews and get a feel for the place, houses, schools etc and where you'd like to live, it certainly is a country of contrasts. At the very least you'll have a fantastic holiday out of it.

birkinshaw Jan 1st 2008 6:46 am

Hi Joanne, we have been here just about 8 months and are loving it.

My advice would be to go to a immigration seminar if your close enough to the areas they tend to have them.

I had never been to nz prior to moving out but i tell you something there is now way i am going back to the uk.

If there is anything you need help with you can send me a private message and i'll be only too happy to help and give you advise.

Lisa:thumbsup:

karonious Jan 1st 2008 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jowan (Post 5722960)

Joanne

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Make yourself at home and ask all the questions you like - can't guarantee sensible answers but mostly the folks here are very supportive and will help if we can:thumbup:.
Karen

jowan Jan 1st 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for a replies,

Now to start the questions off, wandering how you go about getting a job? Do you have to get a job before you get a visa? How do you sort interviews etc?

jowan Jan 1st 2008 11:56 am

Originally Posted by birkinshaw (Post 5725145)
Hi Joanne, we have been here just about 8 months and are loving it.

My advice would be to go to a immigration seminar if your close enough to the areas they tend to have them.

I had never been to nz prior to moving out but i tell you something there is now way i am going back to the uk.

If there is anything you need help with you can send me a private message and i'll be only too happy to help and give you advise.

Lisa:thumbsup:

Just wandering about the immigration seminar, how do we find out about them?

Nerine Jan 1st 2008 12:29 pm

You could give Expo 08 a try. London's is on 5/6 April and Leeds 12/13 April. £15 on the door

http://www.expo-newzealand.com

jowan Jan 1st 2008 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5725769)
You could give Expo 08 a try. London's is on 5/6 April and Leeds 12/13 April. £15 on the door

http://www.expo-newzealand.com

Thanks for that, we're about an hr away from Leeds so may have to have a trip. :thumbup: