British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HGV Driving IN Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hgv-driving-zealand-370514/)

Sarah Dixon Apr 29th 2006 1:47 pm

HGV Driving IN Zealand

Hello there - I'm in need of some help!
My husband is a Class 1 HGV Driver of 12 years. We are looking at a work to residence VISA in NZ however my husband wants to know more information about being a HGV Driver in NZ. Can someone help me???
How many hours does a HGV driver have to work? Does most jobs require that you work overnight or can you work days. We have 2 children and at present my husband works from about 5am to 5pm so he is home every evening. Is this the same in NZ? What is the average wage for a HGV Driver and how easy is it to get employment with an accredited company? Is it best that we go over & seek employment over there or get a job first???
I would really appreciate any advice on this matter as I am desperate to get my children over ther fore a better lifestyle.
Please help me! Many thanks

matthew111 Apr 29th 2006 3:21 pm

Re: HGV Driving IN Zealand

Originally Posted by Sarah Dixon
Hello there - I'm in need of some help!
My husband is a Class 1 HGV Driver of 12 years. We are looking at a work to residence VISA in NZ however my husband wants to know more information about being a HGV Driver in NZ. Can someone help me???
How many hours does a HGV driver have to work? Does most jobs require that you work overnight or can you work days. We have 2 children and at present my husband works from about 5am to 5pm so he is home every evening. Is this the same in NZ? What is the average wage for a HGV Driver and how easy is it to get employment with an accredited company? Is it best that we go over & seek employment over there or get a job first???
I would really appreciate any advice on this matter as I am desperate to get my children over ther fore a better lifestyle.
Please help me! Many thanks

Try this site for general information on HGV driving in NZ www.kiwicareers.govt.nz I may say that i am in the same position like your husband.Finding a job is not such a big problem as they need drivers desperately,but to find an employer who is willing to pay you NZ$45.000/year in order to get working visa to residency,that is the problem.I am trying to find someone but no luck so far :( .

Sarah Dixon Apr 30th 2006 1:32 pm

Thanks Matthew.

Are you still in the UK. How long have you been trying to find work and how are you doing it???

I wish you all the best and hope you find a job soon. I have read that someone was offered PR without earning NZ 45,000 so there may be hope -fingers crossed!!!

KiwiDollie May 13th 2006 3:12 am

Re: HGV Driving IN Zealand

Hi there

My hubby is an HGV driver for Halls. He was offered the job while we were still in the UK. As they couldn't guarantee him more than $45000 we were given General Work Visas. We came over in February and hubby started work in March.

He works 4 nights on and 2 off but there are day shifts available - he just prefers to do nights - works less than 12 hours a night. Pay is $16 per hour. He is thoroughly enjoying himself and is fitter and more active than he ever was in the UK. The transport industry is very different in NZ and you have to be willing to adapt. NZIS have been in touch with Halls to see how hubby is getting on and said that after he has worked for them for 6 months we should be able to apply for PR no problem.

Hope that helps - we've no regrets and are loving life so far.