HGV driving in NZ

Old Sep 25th 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

tonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the rough
Cool HGV driving in NZ

HI TO ALL, AFTER SOME INFO ON CLASS 1 DRIVING IN NEW ZEALAND, ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, CUT A LONG STORY SHORT, LAST YEAR WE SOLD UP EVERYTHING IN READINESS FOR GOING TO AUSTRALIA THIS YEAR ON A 457 VISA AS A TRUCK DRIVER, ALL WAS GOING GREAT UNTIL IN THE FIRST HALF OF THIS YEAR SENATOR CHRIS EVANS (MIGRATION AU) DECIDED TO TAKE DRIVERS OF THE 457 VISA, UPTHE CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE SPRINGS TO MIND, SO NZ IS OUR 2ND OPTION AS WE ARE SO KEEN TO GET OUT OF UK AS WE HAVE NOTHING HERE NOW AS ALL SOLD UP. SO LOTS OF INFO WOULD BE GREAT FOR US, CANADA IS A 3RD OPTION JUST THE BLOODY COLD PUTS US OF, CHEERS AND LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR VIEWS
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of
Default Re: HGV driving in NZ

Originally Posted by tonydu
HI TO ALL, AFTER SOME INFO ON CLASS 1 DRIVING IN NEW ZEALAND, ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, CUT A LONG STORY SHORT, LAST YEAR WE SOLD UP EVERYTHING IN READINESS FOR GOING TO AUSTRALIA THIS YEAR ON A 457 VISA AS A TRUCK DRIVER, ALL WAS GOING GREAT UNTIL IN THE FIRST HALF OF THIS YEAR SENATOR CHRIS EVANS (MIGRATION AU) DECIDED TO TAKE DRIVERS OF THE 457 VISA, UPTHE CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE SPRINGS TO MIND, SO NZ IS OUR 2ND OPTION AS WE ARE SO KEEN TO GET OUT OF UK AS WE HAVE NOTHING HERE NOW AS ALL SOLD UP. SO LOTS OF INFO WOULD BE GREAT FOR US, CANADA IS A 3RD OPTION JUST THE BLOODY COLD PUTS US OF, CHEERS AND LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR VIEWS
Hi Tonydu
Well depends what you want to know.I'm a log truck driver in Nelson doing about 60 hours a week.You can legally work 70 hours p/w.I only work Mon-Fri start at 4.30 am and get home every night.The hours are similar to the UK.There are no tachos only log books ( also known as the book of lies ).We have been here 1 year and love it.The job is physically harder than the Uk but far more relaxing.In Nelson there is no traffic to worry about.I personally think no matter where you go in the world you are always going to do long hours as a truck driver.
Before we moved to NZ we were in your position.We had an offer from a company in Alberta Canada but besides the weather the fact that I could be spending 11 days away from home did'nt appeal to me.We sort of get a work life balance with what I'm doing now.
My experience of truck driving in NZ is pretty much limited to Nelson which is mainly a forestry region and hence I'm a log truck driver.
What I've been told is the main trunk line runs from Auckland-Hamilton-Wellington-CHCH-Invercargill.
As freight driver you could be loading and unloading yourself, spend nights away,legally work 6 days a week.
Tanker drivers seem to be the best paid.I beleive Hookers are looking for tanker drivers in auckland .
I'm sure you are aware that truck drivers can only get a work permit and not residency.
Anyway anything else let me know.
Cheers
Paul
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

tonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the roughtonydu is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: HGV driving in NZ

Hi Paul
that is my only concern, working permit, come and work for 3 years in New Zealand then have to head back of to blighty, would find that very hard to do
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:10 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tony,

OH is a truck driver here, working for Hookers on a WTR Visa, average of about 6o hours, mix of days and nights, 12 hr shifts, so he's more than happy. Paul may well be right, they may be looking for drivers in Akl, a vacancy has just been filled here again , in the Mount. Its worth a phone-call to them, especially if you have tanker experience, but even if you don't, its worth that call.
We just came as visitors, got job offer, had medicals got 2 yr work permit, and that was it, now he has managed, along with few others, luckily to get on WTR, when it was still $50,000 for 40 hrs, but that goal post has been moved further away with the wage requirement, to get on a WTR Visa, by Immigration going up to $55,000 for 40hrs.
So the work permits can be renewed easily as long as truck drivers stay on shortage list, but residency may need to be got another way. Wage increases will of course get to the $55 for 40 hrs eventually,(most acheivable when driving tankers), but if they move that goal post again, then its becoming more and more difficult.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your plans, decisions decisions.

Last edited by Marika 38; Sep 27th 2008 at 9:29 am.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Marika
WTR???? work to residence i guess, still cant risk that gamble if we have to come back home after 3 years, that would do my head in, i am meeting a nz guy at beginning of november so i hope he can explain things more clearly about all these goal posts
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:28 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Yes sorry Tony,, Works to residence.
Yes meet as many as you can and get loads of info, this whole immigration is alot to take in, the different kinds of Visa's etc.
Cheers.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

angpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud ofangpaul has much to be proud of

Hi Paul
that is my only concern, working permit, come and work for 3 years in New Zealand then have to head back of to blighty, would find that very hard to do
Well you can reapply for another permit but that means going through the whole process again
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Marika
WTR???? work to residence i guess, still cant risk that gamble if we have to come back home after 3 years, that would do my head in, i am meeting a nz guy at beginning of november so i hope he can explain things more clearly about all these goal posts
It is being explained to you very clearly here TonyDu . You do not need an 'NZ guy' to explain it further. What you should perhaps do is get yourself up to NZ house and have a chat about their future policy. That is all. Both Marika and AngPaul have explained very clearly how things work for an HGV driver.

As it stands you have two options.

1 - You get a job offer and you can apply for a temporary work permit. They are renewable but do not necessarily lead to PR .

2 - You manage to get a job with an accredited employer . Provided you can show you earn $55K pa for a 40 hour week , you can apply for a Work to Residence visa.

Those are your options.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your replies. but as i been let down once as regards oz, i need as much info as possible BEV, cant keep going throwing good money away. your views and info has been taken on board. cheers
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I quite agree . In fact I couldn't agree more.

Steer clear of so-called , newly formed agents, which have arisen on the back of failed agencies.

Get yourself to NZIS house and have the chat. Listen absolutely to what Marika and Angpaul can tell you because they are here as truckers and are doing the work. They really, really know their stuff. You are speaking with people that absolutely can tell you what is what here.

Forget 'some NZ guy' who says he can explain goalposts that have already been explained to you very clearly here by truckers. You have already been stung once. Please, please do not go there again. These good folk can help you.

1 - you come in on a visitor visa and find work. You then uplift a temporary work permit.

2 - you find a job offer from the UK and uplift a temporary work permit

3 - you find work with an accredited employer and either uplift a temp work permit

or

If you meet the criteria you go for WTR . work to residency.

Currently for WTR you need $55K for a 40 hour week.

Yes, that figure may change but no-one will know that until it is announced. Certainly not some NZ guy.

Policy is announced twice a year. You can check it yourself via the NZIS website news.

You have the info you need. If you want to try for a job offer then the truckers can help you target employers. Just be aware there is no PR for truckers unless they earn $55K pa for a 40 hr week at present.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks i think i get the message, Reminds me of going to see the head teacher,
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

ecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant future

i am truck driver in the process of looking for work in nz as well, hopefully going out to nz end of jan , my partner is a chef and hopefully gaining pr for our family through my partner skills, my approach to this is for me to gain a job first then when partner gets a job apply for pr then, was told this is possible...
Old Sep 29th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Elcalperif
unlickily for us my mrs also a qualified chef, but not done this for job for a number of years otherwise it would have been so much easier for us, she is a teaching assistant at present with lots of qualifications in this and it is a job she enjoys imensely, but does not help our cause, good luck and let us know how you get on.